This Year's March Madness is a JOKE.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
Its just ridiculous. I know that this whole thing is for fun and everything, but this CANNOT be what's popular. Minecraft?! Really?! I honestly don't get it. I honestly don't get why people find this game fun.

"Its a sandbox game. You can do what you want."
-Ok granted. But i can boot up my old PS2 and play Vice City and have more fun then I did with Minecraft.

Ok gotta find discussion value in this somewhere....
Let's see...

Does anyone else feel like this years MM should be stricken from the record? Why do you MC fans find this game fun? Am I overlooking something?

Captcha:
tho transtat

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Eh. It's an internet popularity contest.

Personally I'd prefer Dwarf Fortress over Minecraft any day.

But I don't think Bay 12 will ever be up for vote, since they don't actually sell products.

InfiniteJacuzzi

Mar 13, 2011
Unfortunately, March Madness got tied up in the Minecraft fad. Not gonna call it a bad game, but I do think it's a one hit wonder for the studio.

Personally, I hate most sandbox gaming, but I think Minecraft actually did it right, even if it's not my thing. You just have to self-motivate yourself.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
They find it fun because it's a sandbox game and a fully destructable world. They're only bound by their imagination.

Personally, I think the game is shit. But that's just me.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Minecraft = Current Internet fad.

March Mayhem = Popularity contest.

Of course it was going to be a joke.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Doesn't this get said every year unless Valve wins? Last year it was "Oh no, Zynga might win! Go Bioware!" before Valve beat Bioware. The year before that everyone was crying because Turbine advertised their place in the competition. Personally I would have liked for Bioware to win, but they seem doomed to second-place-hood for all eternity.

Does anyone else feel like this years MM should be stricken from the record?
What record? I don't recall any official tome of Escapist lore, replete with a grand history of March Mayhem.

OT: The way I see it, a companies value in March Mayhem should be based on their catalogue of games... unless they've won it before, in which case they should be judged on everything they've done since. Otherwise it'll just be Valve over and over (possibly going to Bioware or Nintendo) for ever and ever.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
in order:
I don't really mind it.
you can make giant doom fortress under water and in the sky at the same time with magma flows coming off it as your pack of wolfs follow you or you can come together with your friends and make a small village with dogs defending it and a deep mine that holds many secrets, in short MC can be whatever you want it do be not just you being a gangster and it is the only game were I flooded and burned my house down at the same time.
yes, MC is great fun with a project without out a project it is just random digging with monsters and next year unless Mojang makes another game it won't get this far.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
It's been a joke every year. Why should this year be any different.
CAPTCHA: bottom hessysi
Year One: Turbine.
Year Two: Turbine.
Year Three: Valve. I was actually kind of optimistic this year thinking Bioware might pull through.

Fredrikorex

Sep 25, 2009
I haven't played many games by Bioware, so I voted for Mojang AB, but I wish Bioware would win because I think they have done a lot more to gaming than Mojang.

I only voted for Mojang cause I've not played any Bioware games that I've liked that much.(and I love Minecraft)

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Wow All you need is a bit of imagination and Mc can be almost anything!

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Its a popularity contest that relies mostly on outside help. If you don't like it, fine, but just don't forget that its always been considered a joke.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
OP: Seconded.

Mojang did not deserve to win. I like it, but come on, Valve and Bioware are magnificient.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
March Mayhem. March Madness is basketball (or most commonly used as such). ;)

But it's an internet popularity contest. None of those kinds of things should be taken seriously, and the only joke is that some people do take them seriously. Just realize that it's not a "who is the best" poll, but a "who is the most popular" poll and it's really not that big of a deal.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
*poke* Give me back my post, forum glitches!
EDIT: There we go.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
ToonLink said:

MM is a popularity contest. Minecraft is popular because people enjoy it. They enjoy because it allows them to be creative and do awesome shit, and it's original. And before someone goes "NO MINECRAFT RIPPED OFF INFINIMINER", nearly all of us have never played Infiniminer, so Minecraft is original to us. And then there's the fact that it's much more developed.

mjc0961 said:
March Mayhem. March Madness is basketball (or most commonly used as such). ;)
This too.

Zaik said:
It's much better than last year, Zynga won.
No it didn't. Look. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99808-Valve-Becomes-the-New-March-Mayhem-Developers-Showdown-Champion]

boeingguy787

Nov 19, 2009
ToonLink said:
Its just ridiculous. I know that this whole thing is for fun and everything, but this CANNOT be what's popular. Minecraft?! Really?! I honestly don't get it. I honestly don't get why people find this game fun.

"Its a sandbox game. You can do what you want."
-Ok granted. But i can boot up my old PS2 and play Vice City and have more fun then I did with Minecraft.

Ok gotta find discussion value in this somewhere....
Let's see...

Does anyone else feel like this years MM should be stricken from the record? Why do you MC fans find this game fun? Am I overlooking something?
I hate having to post this again, but it seems appropriate.

http://emotibot.net/pix/1269.jpg

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Why does it matter.

It's much better than last year, Zynga won. How much of a joke is that?

The problem here is that you took it serious at all.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I think this years MM took longer then usual to reach a level of whiny bitching that makes discussion unbearable. And an indie developer doing something very new in the industry is cleaning up. Also, excellent developers like Valve and Bioware have done extremely well.

Why is Minecraft fun? Because it is not a power fantasy, and the goals are player defined, and come out of emergent complexities of the mechanics, not a discrete win state. It is somethign different. Painting a picture can be fun, as can blowing up something with fireworks. If the only fun thing you ever do is blow up Fireworks, then painting a picture can be a refreshing change of pace. Conversely, after painting a ton of pictures, the opportunity to go out and blow up fireworks is that much more enjoyable, because your life has more variety. I can tell you that after playing a bunch of Bulletstorm and other shooters, Minecraft was a lot of fun, and then after playing a ton of Minecraft, going and playing Crysis 2 was a lot more fun for having taken a break from the FPS.

I think that what separates the true lover of games from a casual dabbler is that the true gamer seeks new and unique play experiences, to make there comfort zone more broad, and learn new things, systems, and mechanics. Minecraft facilitates this.