Those sneaky mimic chests...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I recall the mimics in Super Mario RPG being tougher to beat than seven bitches on a ***** boat.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
You know, when I first read the title of this thread the first thing I thought of was Dark Souls. After my first one I found in Sen's fortress got me (I was so pissed because I had survived so much to get to the area only to get eaten by as chest), I literally attacked every single chest I found before I tried to open them. I eventually learned how to tell them apart, butI still smack almost every chest just to be sure.

Apr 25, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I'm sure no one forgets their first Dark Souls mimic chest. They even placed it in what is at that point the most frustrating area of the game (Sen's Fortress). You're best bet is to just leave them be, because once they become active they'll kick the shit of you. Unless ofcourse you've got powerful projectiles.

You can even get the mimic chest as head gear. I never tried it on myself due to the description mentioning something along the lines of it holding a curse.
Yeah I found that too and tried it on. As far as I can tell all it does is slowly drain your health and look silly, but knowing Dark Souls there is probably some stat or status it lowers that will ruin your fun for the rest of the day.

Kursura

Apr 8, 2010
snekadid said:
My favorite was FFXIIs save point mimics, you have to love the giant middle finger.
I remember that one, really sneaky. Especially as it came right after a boss fight (so your teams low on health and saving would normally heals them).

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Digi7 said:
Yeah I found that too and tried it on. As far as I can tell all it does is slowly drain your health and look silly, but knowing Dark Souls there is probably some stat or status it lowers that will ruin your fun for the rest of the day.
It also increases souls gained by 20 or 25% I believe.

Also another fun fact about Dark Souls mimics which has probably been posted already; you can identify a mimic by the position of the chain of the chest.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Ah yes, the Mimics. Those things can be a royal pain. Esp. since they're usually not easy to kill. I remember there was this one time, I forget what game it was, might have been Tales of Symphonia, but I walked into this dungeon and right near the entrance was this dead end with a Nimic in it that kicked my ass. Hated that thing.
one of the early dungeons if you go right you will see a chest and it is a mimic. Problem is you are far to low to make it an even battle (or the mimic is just to overpowered). First time i died in that game was due to that. when i was higher level I went back to kick that chest it's ass. Revenge would be mine >.>

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
D Moness said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ah yes, the Mimics. Those things can be a royal pain. Esp. since they're usually not easy to kill. I remember there was this one time, I forget what game it was, might have been Tales of Symphonia, but I walked into this dungeon and right near the entrance was this dead end with a Nimic in it that kicked my ass. Hated that thing.
one of the early dungeons if you go right you will see a chest and it is a mimic. Problem is you are far to low to make it an even battle (or the mimic is just to overpowered). First time i died in that game was due to that. when i was higher level I went back to kick that chest it's ass. Revenge would be mine >.>
Yeah that's probably the same one I'm thinking of. Haven't played that game in quite some time though.

fatmrbunko

Jan 24, 2011
worst is in final fantasy x in omega dungeons. the monsters are overpowered enough as it is but then when in an already painstaking fight you see the chest and have to open it. not to mention theyre the hardest enemy in the dungeon and can come in pairs...whilst already fighting curse walls with giant superfluous arms

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
The sunken ship in Okami had some of those. You can't really tell which is real (unless you recognize what the correct shade is) until you hit them. The animation starts normally, but then GWHAR GIANT MONSTER HAND! Scares the crap out of me. Oh, and they also explode.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I could do with one of them for protecting some of my stuff against other members of the household.

My most memorable was from Vagrant Story, as you had to aim for the legs to make any real damages against them.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
The mmmo LaTale has them in the Crystal Mine, where you go to mine for rare minerals. They look exactly like regular chests. The only way you can know if they are mimics is if they start moving around because they open their mouths when they jump around, or when they attack you after you hit them. They also release a gas to poison you. Not really that big a deal, especially since they aren't quite as aggressive as other monsters, but can be formiddable when you are at their level.

Apr 25, 2009
Greyah said:
bluegate said:
It also increases souls gained by 20 or 25% I believe.

Also another fun fact about Dark Souls mimics which has probably been posted already; you can identify a mimic by the position of the chain of the chest.
They drain a little health, give 20% more souls, grant an item find of 200, and look incredibly silly. They don't stack with the covetous serpent rings.

Not only is the position of the chain different, but a mimic's colour is also slightly different, and if you look closely you can see them breathe.

For me, it was also the mimics in Dark Souls that are most memorable. They're really well done.
Definitely agree there. They're quite unsettling with their huge veiny tongues, bizzare physiology and those odd whimpering noises they make.

EquestrianGeneral

Jun 22, 2012
Aside from Dark Souls, the only notable Mimics that I remember are from Tales of Symphonia (excellent game, by the way). They were all but immune to physical damage, so if you didn't have a mage, you were screwed. Fun times! :D

Then, of course, there's Dark Souls. Allow me to briefly summarize my reaction:

"Dum de dum, well this place is certainly cheerful.
Oh, look! Another chest... But it's away from the wall... And slanted...
Alright, just approach it slowly. Wait, there's no way that..."

*Attacks it*

"Jesus Christ, what the- JFDLSKAJKL!"

Apologies for the immaturity, but I feel that it was a fairly common reaction.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I only died to the first one Dark Souls because I didn't know about them. There were warnings around it but I was expecting an ambush or trap I could dodge or something. I didn't realize the chest itself would eat me. Usually someone had left a message in front of it, they are a slightly different colour (unless I'm imagining that) and I just got in the habit of hitting chest before opening them anyway.
Other than that...I don?t remember many mimic chests in games. There were some in dungeon siege I think and possibly NWN but it?s been a long time since I've played either.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Know what's even worse than Mimic chests?
Mimic chests that make up about 30% of the chests in a dungeon and are ridiculously hard to kill.

Fuck you, Dark Cloud.
Fuck you.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
JasonKaotic said:
Know what's even worse than Mimic chests?
Mimic chests that make up about 30% of the chests in a dungeon and are ridiculously hard to kill.

Fuck you, Dark Cloud.
Fuck you.
Ah Dark Cloud mimics everywhere. I loved and hated that game, weapon upgrades were awesome...unless you didnt pay attention and let it break

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Tallim said:
I've had many a nethack run end due to mimics :/
My first thought indeed! Though I don't have quite as much trouble with them (I can tell where they are in sudoku now and generally don't fall for them in the store), they can still be a nasty shock.