Those under 25: how well do you remember your life before the internet?

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Yes I remember in year 8, so maybe 7 years ago having to do an assignment on roles in medieval society, due to the lack of internet at my school (or at least in the history/geography department), we had to use pretty crappy books from the library. Basically everyone ended up either writing about being a peasant or a knight. I wrote about being a professional or "master" archer, because my dad the history buff spoon fed me info.

Nowadays with wikipedia, one could easily write something about being a blacksmith, cobbler/cordwainer, baliff etc.

Faine'

Nov 2, 2008
Hmm... it was books, trying to write my own books, watching TV, drawing, playing with toys, fighting with my sister, climbing trees and playing on the (now very old) games that my dad would let me have a turn with on his ancient, lacking-in-mouse computer. We only got that old thing because his job threw it out. Heh. Strange days.

I still do a lot of reading and writing but pretty much all of my entertainment is internet based now and I've made some very good friends online who I would miss a great deal if I could no longer log on.

I'm 19, by the way.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
I remember it well. fifa 98 on the worlds slowest computer, and playing the original xbox and ps1 with my brother, occasionally doing something else (I wasnt allowed out side, I was told its because as soon as you step outside you will get raped)

And I get angry when the internet is broken or something when I want to go on it, BUT If I knew that it was going to be taken from me (like a holiday/ what the OP did) I would be alright with it. I just get fed up of needing some internet for homework and it giving me the FU and laughing its head off as I start to panic.

Speaking of which, remember dial up connections? THEY WERE SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
I remember life before the internet, I didn't get it untill about grade 3 (I'm 17), even then it was dial up so I didn't use it much. Life was filled with Dragonball Z, digemon, pokemon, super nintendo,playsation and much more time with friends at each others houses. I reckon I could get by without the internet but I don't want to try.

Edit: Oh yeah goosebumps and deltora quest and the first 4 harry potter books as well

Faine'

Nov 2, 2008
Banksey said:
That they were. I only really started regular internet use when broadband came in.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
I didn't have the internet till I was 17, and that was only two years ago. It just meant that all my games were solved with actual mental rather than Gamefaqs...

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Pretty well. I had dial up most of my childhood so I spent most of my time away from the PC. Didnt even get DSL I was 15 and that was for Xbox Live.

quantum mechanic

Jul 8, 2009
My house had only dial-up internet before I was 8, so I remember a lot of having to get off the internet so my parents could use the phone. I didn't use it much until I got a laptop because my brothers were computer hogs.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
I actually read a lot of books, and played a lot of games and made exercise and stuff like that

then the net came... and here i am... a flubby lazy 24 years old

nuqneh1

Aug 15, 2010
I don't have one, we had internet since before the day I was born and I was raised to be it's friend. However, life before I discovered TV Tropes was hard.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Ah yes... the "Before Time".

I was quite young for many years, and some of those years were spent sans-internet.

Even when we did use it, it wasn't very interesting. Web Crawler was all the rage. Virus-scans for Macs still seemed important. Google wasn't even a twinkle in the eye of some nerds yet. Truly, they were the dark ages.

On the plus side, I built whole cities of Lego, and logged about a year's worth of time into SimCity 2000, and later, SimTower.

Banksey said:
Hahaha! Commentary. Fantastic...

Player 2

Feb 20, 2009
I don't really, I remember dial up and the internet being really really slow, but that's it.

Snipermanic

Mar 1, 2008
I think we got it in 1997. But we didn't use it that often back then, due to it being slow & quite expensive.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
I'm 19 today and we got the internet when I was about eight years old. I feel like exposure to the internet at a younger age would have been damaging. In fact I think I would rather have waited until I was ten. The internet is a very complex entity and you can endanger yourself interacting with it improperly. That said these days not having the internet at a young age might be crippling since you will not be properly equipped to deal with the wired world we have today.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
I played soccer and N64.

I kind of go through internet withdrawal, but mostly because I use the internet for most of my communicating with people. So as long as I have my phone or am with some good friends, I usually have no problem going without internet.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
quantum mechanic said:
My house had only dial-up internet before I was 8, so I remember a lot of having to get off the internet so my parents could use the phone. I didn't use it much until I got a laptop because my brothers were computer hogs.
*tun tang tuhhhh tzzzzzzzzzchaaaaaaaaaaaaaa zzzzzzzzzzzz peeeeeeep*

Captain Magic

Sep 2, 2010
I honestly can't say I remember exactly when the internet came to my parents' place, mostly because it was so unimportant. I never really used it and when I did it was usually to look at all the legos I didn't have. Before that everything was pretty much Batman, Legos, and getting into trouble at school for the fun of it. I also ripped the heads off a lot of Barbies, but I try not to think about that too much in case it has some deeper meaning.