Those under 25: how well do you remember your life before the internet?

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
I think I was about 8, when I first started using the internet.

But back then the only thing I used it for was flash games and school.

At least I think, it's kinda blurry.

EDIT: 17 BTW

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
I remember the NES, the Gameboy, the Genesis, the N64, and my stint as a PC gamer. (Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Sim City 2000)

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
I would walk down the street and play with my buddies every single day, even when I had internet because I had dial up. I would only play something stupid like NeoPets or Habbo Hotel a few hours a week. Then my friends moved away, and internet became my life.

CpnBeef

May 19, 2008
I got my dial-up June 2000, which would make me about 12. Although it and my sudden discovery of DBZ controlled my life at the time i still have a superb memory of my childhood. It was mainly custard, lego, holidays and big blank static thoughts for everything else. yup that sums up my childhood.

In all seriousness though i still remember most details of my life before the internet entered it, buzzed loudly in my ear and then died half an hour later.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Goddamn kids these days. If you're not at least over 27, you don't remember your life before the Internet, because the Internet has existed in all its TCP/IP glory for that long, and in other forms for much longer than that. You may continue remembering your lives before you personally had access to it, though, or before the Web, even.[/pedant]

I have email older than half the people who've posted in this thread, so yeah, I definitely remember my life before I had Internet access in the early 90s. I remember when the WWW was new, too, so get off my lawn, etc. At least I didn't have to walk uphill both ways to school and they'd invented more than rocks and sticks to play with by the time I was born (although that's actually what my mom grew up with), so it could've been worse. Heh.

Okuu_Fusion

Jul 14, 2010
I was late to the net, before that, all I remember is I used to watch alot of tv... would stay up till 6am watching cartoons on Cartoon Network, this was back when they actually showed good cartoons... And play Snes or Playstation...

Also I'd draw alot, which I should be doing right now...

jackknife402

Aug 25, 2008
watched alot of tv, didn't socialize as much, english skills failed quite a bit. I can adjust well without it, as long as I have something to do(during hunting season I go entire weeks without it and not a care.))

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
I didn't get the internet until I was seventeen, and I'm 24 now. I don't remember my life before then very well, but that's more likely due to trauma and psychic damage than to any real net addiction :)

Skeptic

Sep 1, 2010
I'm 25 and I was around computers since I was 8 or so, but haven't got one of my own until I was 13. However, I skipped the dial-up stuff and got broadband fairly recently, some 7 or 8 years ago.

That said, I obviously remember my pre-internet life well enough. And how was it? Well, great, actually! My neighbourhood was full of kids of my age and I was out a lot, which, I guess, wouldn't have been the case if I had internet access that early. Later, as a teenager, I had some difficulties obtaining new music. I had to find someone who had the specific album and record it on a blank casette. Yeah, you heard it, a CASETTE. Google it! It was tedious, but it had a certain charm to it. You appreciate the music more if you have to go through a bit of a struggle to get it.

Gamingwise, getting a new game was a nuisance for obvious reasons, and PC and gaming magazines were the source of news and info on new games. Solving a game puzzle was more interesting, sometimes frustrating, but helluva lot more rewarding without walkthroughs. And just sitting in front of computer screen felt more isolated and secluded.

So, I guess it was quite different, and many a thing is way easier nowadays, but guess what. I wouldn't have it any other way. I mean, today I'd probably become clinically psychotic without the internet, but I'm glad I was born before it.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I remember playing PS1 and N64 a lot, and getting stuck on a lot of games. If i got stuck on a game back then i usually stayed stuck, like i never got to the 2nd dungeon on OOT until recently D:

And also i never knew of any new releases. I first found out Spyro 3 was released when i saw it being played in an arcade setup in a Wacky Warehouse, same with most other games i ended up buying, other than that i never knew what games like MGS or DMC were until a lot later.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
I'm only 15, but I started using the internet at around 10, so I do remember a time when I didn't have internet. I just read a lot of books. Seriously, I'd read all the time. And occasionally I'd watch TV. I just did a lot of regular things - played with my friends, went to school, ran around hyperactively. Not too different from what I do now. And I think my life was a lot nicer back when the sound of dialling up didn't make me want to shoot myself.

Jirlond

Jul 9, 2009
I'm 24 - I didnt get to use the internet till I was 17, even at school I was in the only class that didnt have the internet and we had to you 1984 macintoshs - I got the internet & diablo 2 roughly at the same time and I have been hooked ever since!

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Not really, but I have a medical reason. My earliest complete memory is probably around 16 so by then we had it. I remember the dial up sequence more than I remember everything else.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I was born in 1990 and I will be 20 in October. We first got our internet when I was 13 so I remember life before the itnernet quite well, I got my first phone when I was 12 and just in high school.

I think a lot of the internet has a lot of good things going for it, for example its great gaming is global and being able to see photography through flickr is great. However things like facebook just disgust me.

havass

Dec 15, 2009
I remember....dial-up connection. It was a pain in the ass.
So..no, I don't remember life before the internet.
Mainly because i'm 16.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
I remember it pretty well, actually. My parents were kind of skeptical towards this whole 'computer thing'. They initially got ripped off by a friend's brother in law, by buying his shitty old computer, that could hardly run 'Battle Chess'.

That blew.

So I remember playing with my LEGO's (LEGO rocks), football with my friends, reading a lot. That kind of shit. Only around 1999 did we get a computer that could, by the standards of the time, actually do shit. I fondly remember playing Baldur's Gate, Premier Manager 98 and Cutthroats. So much fun!

But, yes. The internet. When we finally got a shitty dial-up, I was restricted to only three hours a week. With an occasional extra hour on Sundays. I didn't do much, other than chat in chatboxes (which was popular at the time) and looking up cheats for my games. So a life without the pervasiveness of the internet? I can remember it quite well.