Thousands of UK Prisoners Play Videogames

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Thousands of UK Prisoners Play Videogames

Thousands and thousands of prisoners in the UK are probably playing Call of Duty right now.

New information has recently come out about the number of gamers in the UK that are also serving time for crime. According to junior justice minister Crispin Blunt, more than one third of the prisoners in England and Wales could potentially be in possession of a videogame console.

Blunt apparently responded to an inquiry on the issue by saying that 36,202 prisoners were on the "enhanced level of the incentives and earned privileges scheme" and eligible to be a behind-bars gamer. To determine exactly how many game consoles were in prisons would "necessitate asking each prisoner individually at disproportionate cost," so there aren't any precise numbers, but Blunt emphasizes that public funds are not currently being used so that prisoners can play Viva Pinata [http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Pi%C3%B1ata-Platinum-Family-Xbox-360/dp/B000HCL5QO].

Videogames in prisons are a big issue in these regions of the UK, with a 2008 audit revealing that 12,948 consoles were in prisons with £221,726 ($350,000) of the public's tax dollars having been spent on the systems and their software. Government figures say that videogame consoles turn prisons into a "holiday camp" rather than a place that is mean to punish or rehabilitate.

Many prisons don't allow videogames in any form, or even table games like checkers, for prisoners on the best levels of behavior. I don't think that all prisoners should be tortured while incarcerated, because the idea is to rehabilitate most of them, but I know that with a videogame even the most boring of situations can fly by like it's nothing. Should prisoners be allowed to engage in something that, excluding perhaps the most grindy RPG, is pure fun in all of its forms?

Source: Independent [http://www.independent.ie/and-finally/36000-inmates-play-games-consoles-2412236.html]

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I remember a letter to the Official Nintendo Magazine emanating from one of Her Majesty's prisons requesting a list of Wii games that could be played on a Gamecube - because they were allowed Gamecube consoles but only Wii games.

Nevertheless, this is still a joke.

Feb 13, 2008
Is, perhaps, the idea that convicts spend time "between shankings" just a little insensitive?

I don't believe we'd be happy to talk about playing games "between school massacres", would we?

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Well that's not a good idea. I know I would be able to kill after encoutering one of the 97564567886457 bugs in Fable 3.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
They shouldn't be allowed - TVs I can live with as long as it's news channels so they're still aware of what's going on.

Board games should be reserved for only the most serious of offenders, because they really are torture.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Woodsey said:
They shouldn't be allowed - TVs I can live with as long as it's news channels so they're still aware of what's going on.

Board games should be reserved for only the most serious of offenders, because they really are torture.
oh yeah, make the prisoners watch fox news all day, that wont make them more violent at allllll.

I Think videogames are a good idea in prisons, since they can be used as a very powerful method of control, if they are bad then you take them away. Im not saying to give them a ton of games but a few couldnt hurt.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Just make them play really really bad games haha!

I pay for my games, not theirs. Prisons shouldn't be hotels... but neither should they be hellholes that turns small time criminals into psychopaths unfit for society (looking at some US prions).

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
this is ridiculous, the taxpayer should be paying for MY games |:
I KNOW!
excuse me I need to send a letter to Stephen Harper.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
In American prisons you get stabbed and raped. In British prisons you get gamerscore. Hehe.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Well, shit that means that they can grind all day long! That is so unfair!

OT: Atleast that something to do then just work out or make someone drop the soap in the showers...

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Is, perhaps, the idea that convicts spend time "between shankings" just a little insensitive?

I don't believe we'd be happy to talk about playing games "between school massacres", would we?
Yeah, I only play games AFTER school massacres. Can't let games get in the way of work.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009

This. What the hell man, that's not right.

Besides, do you really think all of these prisoners are in prison for murder or something? There are people in prison for smoking WEED. Yes, that little fun drug. Do you really think they deserve to be stripped of all entertainment because of that?

Go video games in prisons, but only for non-violent offenders who've payed for it by working inside the prison.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Yeahhh, you're correct.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Worgen said:
Woodsey said:

oh yeah, make the prisoners watch fox news all day, that wont make them more violent at allllll.
I was thinking more along the lines of the highly-respected and neutral-as-can-be BBC news. We don't need mass suicides whilst they're forced to endure the idiocy of Glenn Beck (and his fucking chalk board) and Bill O'Reilly.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Prison: a place in which people are physically confined and, usually, deprived of a range of personal freedoms.

I think the UK has missed the point.