Thousands of UK Prisoners Play Videogames

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Is, perhaps, the idea that convicts spend time "between shankings" just a little insensitive?

I don't believe we'd be happy to talk about playing games "between school massacres", would we?
Come on massacres are so 5 years ago, now we play video games between the genocidal take over of indistinguishable middle eastern countries, get with the times.

[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]I hope people take that as the joke it was meant to be[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Mayhap I should go to the UK and commit some felonies.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Just make them play Clash of the Titans, Rogue Warrior, and Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust.

Holy_Handgrenade

Feb 16, 2009
Wait the UK Government is rather contradictory they think videogames encourage violence and crime but they then allow prisoners to have them, in there minds that should be a bad idea.

SaturdayS

Nov 8, 2010
Tax payers should only be paying for the video games of the unemployed, not convicts as well!

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
This doesn't seem at all fair but is unsurprising it's a good example of why it is hard to reform criminals: Life is better in Prison for them.

Holiday camps for people with dysfuctional lifestyles etc.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Should provide them only with Dwarf Fortress.

I'm fairly sure it'd completely eradicate drug addiction.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Just make every prisoner complete Two Worlds to 100% before they can be set free. That's worse than dropping the soap.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Prisons are ineffective form of rehabilitation so it doesn't make any difference whatsoever if they play games or not. Without the complete reform of rehabilitation program it doesn't matter what they do.

Frozenfeet2

Apr 3, 2010
Having videogames in prisons is a stupid idea, makes it fun and encourages violence, so if they must play something we should make them complete Desert Bus.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Holy_Handgrenade said:
Wait the UK Government is rather contradictory they think videogames encourage violence and crime but they then allow prisoners to have them, in there minds that should be a bad idea.
Yeah I was thinking that as I was reading it too. They really need to make their minds up.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Eh. What's the big deal exactly?

Prisons don't serve a useful purpose in terms of rehabilitating criminals anyway.

The only real use they have is keeping nutjobs away from the general population.

That being the case, what the prisoners do with their time shouldn't really be such a big deal.

I mean, considering what it costs to run a prison in the first place, I seriously doubt a couple of game consoles is going to make much difference.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Is there a game called "freedom"? Make the play that.

Or GTA so they get the "YOU'RE BUSTED" message.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Sigh...the point of imprisonment was to PUNISH the criminals. With menial labor and boredom.
Not provide a mandatory room and board for them.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
Controversy in 10...

No really, as soon the general public hears about this...its gonna be a shit storm.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Gaming is a time destroyer! And totally takes your mind off things. Prisons aint the place for games....and its gona be very ironic to have prisoners play GTI 4 -_-`
A single gaming session like every couple of months might be a good thing but anything more than that would just kill the punishement part!

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
It sounds as if these video games could be used to have a certain amount of control over the prisoners. I'm alright with it as long as the prisoners can pay for the games (to a certain extent) themselves.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
I like the thought of if i was locked up, i could play video games.
But you have to realize then it's just a minor inconvenience to be in prison. Free meals, free bed, free electricity, water etc. That dosn't seem like punishment to me.