The always online component was something that EA warned you guys about

EA.

Warned you.

And you still bought it.

"are soon parted".

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Legion said:
Nonsense. Gamers are embracing not being able to play their game and the always-on DRM that causes it to happen.
Well I suspect that a decent chunk of the petitioners are idiots who bought the thing. So yeah, they are.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
If only it had a real money auction house.
I really do pity the Console players that wont get to experience the TRUE way of playing Diablo 3

Gypsyssilver

Nov 23, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
VanQ said:
Legion said:
Nonsense. Gamers are embracing not being able to play their game and the always-on DRM that causes it to happen.
I know, right? This is a fantastic game worth every penny!
If only it had a real money auction house.
I wish you needed to type in more codes and passwords to make it play. And register for more accounts. I just don't feel like there are enough barriers between me and playing the game.

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
It's EA, they don't give a shit. They're an evil money sucking monster that is a monument to fucking over customers and viewing them as walking wallets. The only way to kill them is to stop buying their shit. This can not happen soon enough.

If you buy the fucking games with the always on-line DRM then the publishers will keep putting it on their games. DON'T BUY THE DAMN THINGS.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
II2 said:
threatens to ban customer if they reclaim digital purchase via their bank / credit card.
Yeah, how dare...How very dare...A company threaten to ban you for violating the terms of use you agreed to when you supposedly read your agreement!

I am outraged and sleepy!

...Seriously, while I don't advocate EA's "no refunds" policy, maybe people should actually take this as a lesson learned and stop buying from companies with this sort of policy sight unseen, rather than doing so and then crying that they're being treated unfairly over rules they agreed to.

And ignoring legalese, we've been through this song and dance before. It's not like this is a new thing EA has only now decided to implement. This isn't some gotcha they're just pulling out now, so nobody has an excuse to be shocked.

You gambled. You lost. Next time, don't gamble.
This was just something I found online that seemed relevant. It's not my personal story, if you're addressing me. I have neither bought or pirated any EA titles that used Origin, nor read the TOS.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
II2 said:
It's not my personal story, if you're addressing me.
Nobody said you did. Literally nobody.

The problem is, it changes nothing about my statement. The people threatened with bans are being threatened for voluntarily opting into a service and then refusing to pay. "You" was being used in the general sense, and actually interchanged with "people" a couple of times.

You dance with the devil, don't be surprised if you get a little burned.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I would bet hard money that this petition will not affect the server-dependent status of SimCity one jot. The "most hated company" just doesn't have a strong enough incentive to back down from the stupid policy that got them here, with all the attendant hassles and costs inherent in such a move.

There's a slightly better chance this might have an effect on choices they make in the future regarding such game designs, which might move the chance-needle all the way up to "slim".

RolandOfGilead

Dec 17, 2010
Candidus said:
You know what works? Not buying Simcity.

No matter how much you like SimC games, no matter how badly it tempts you.

No buts. Just fucking don't.

EA told you ahead of time that it had always on DRM. It was no secret. So, if you bought it and have since become super-mad due to circumstances so foreseeable that they couldn't possibly have been missed by anyone, I hope you're just mad at yourself. Because that's where the blame for this debacle belongs.

Don't weep on a petition after the fact. Just don't buy these games!
What he said.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
And signed.

Not because I care about Sim City. Just because I dislike always online DRM.

I doubt this petition will really change Sim City specifically, but hopefully it will be a small step on the road to ending this very stupid practice called "Always Online DRM".

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
II2 said:
It's not my personal story, if you're addressing me.
Nobody said you did. Literally nobody.

The problem is, it changes nothing about my statement. The people threatened with bans are being threatened for voluntarily opting into a service and then refusing to pay. "You" was being used in the general sense, and actually interchanged with "people" a couple of times.

You dance with the devil, don't be surprised if you get a little burned.
That's a fair statement. I was just clarifying. :)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I think they'll do fine. They're over 70K now. Pretty impressive, though how many players of Sim City are there?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
FalloutJack said:
I think they'll do fine. They're over 70K now. Pretty impressive, though how many players of Sim City are there?
A surprising amount considering.

I do suspect they were people who had yet to experience the joys of Error 37, or experienced EA's previous debarkles by dint of not being 'core gamers.'