THQ Downgrades Warhammer 40K MMO

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
THQ Downgrades Warhammer 40K MMO

Amid layoffs at the studios involved, the game will switch to a single-player RPG.

First rumored in 2007, and shown off at E3 2010, Dark Millenium Online will drop the "Online" moniker from its title to offer an "immersive" RPG with single- and multi-player elements. THQ CEO Brian Farrell said the decision was made looking at current market trends - read ToR battling to steal WoW's numbers - and realizing it would take a lot more money to pull off any kind of success. Farrell called other companies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108407-Warhammer-40K-MMO-Will-Cost-At-Least-50-Million] to see if they were interested in ponying up the cash needed, but no one returned his calls. He decided to cut THQ's losses and make a spectacular single-player game, after writing a pink slip for 120 diligent game designers.

"As previously announced, we have been actively looking for a business partner for the game as an MMO. However, based on changing market dynamics and the additional investment required to complete the game as an MMO, we believe the right direction for us is to shift the title from an MMO to a premium experience with single and multiplayer gameplay, robust digital content and community features," said Brian Farrell, President and CEO of THQ Inc.

Farrell said the amount of work gone in justifies the shift rather than cancelling the game outright. "Because we believe strongly in the high-quality and vast creative work that is in production, this is the right decision for both our portfolio and for gamers devoted to this powerful property."

Games Workshop, the company behind the Warhammer 40K miniatures game, is fine with the shift in focus. "We are genuinely excited about the new direction that THQ is taking with Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium," said Jon Gillard from Games Workshop.

I'm not sure how Gillard can be "genuinely excited" about laying off almost 120 people. The collapse of the staff at THQ's development houses [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115646-THQ-Details-Layoffs-CEO-Pay-Cut] continues with a total of 118 full-time employees dismissed from Relic Entertainment and Vigil Games. Vigil will complete Dark Millenium and Darksiders II, while Relic will concentrate its efforts on the Dawn of War branch of RTS 40K games.

As always, The Escapist sends its support to those affected by the layoffs at Relic and Vigil.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Wait, I am confused. The title of the article says the game was downgraded but all I see is an upgrade. Did I miss something?

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I'm even more excited for this game now. Though it pisses me off that THQ's bumbling has effect Relic. Relic is an amazing studio shouldn't be going through this mess.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Still pretty exited about this, aslong as it keeps some of the MMO-ish features (e.g. I don't want to have to play as a spehss mahreen)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Sucks that this hit relic and vigil like this, both of them are awesome devs that thq really needs to be good to since they are the ones that will be able to pull thq out of its nose dive.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't attempt to go the free to play route, oh well, at least now I can get it and not worry about a monthly subscription when guild wars 2 is taking all my time.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Cutting their losses is the best move. I'm glad to see one cow had the sense to hop off the conveyer belt before it got slaughtered.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Findlebob said:
Wow i never thought a developer would click on they couldnt competitive with wow.
Its not that they would think that they couldnt compete with WoW, its that theyre taking out the MMO- part of the RPG so they dont have to spend money maintaining servers.

Basically its a budget slash thing, and thats what THQ needs if its going to survive the remainder of the year.

Sep 24, 2008
My most important feeling is that they better upgrade those graphics. That stuff flies for mmos, but this is one of the few ips I want to see in glorious vision. I've been reading their stuff as a kid, and this is one of my only times for holding on to my Geek Rage card, ready to go off on anyone for ruining it.

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
gutted for the layoffs but as far as going to single player RPG with multi-player elements goes i thinks that's just awesome!

Wil213

A Hack
Apr 1, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]Cutting their losses is the best move. I'm glad to see one cow had the sense to hop off the conveyer belt before it got slaughtered.
Very much agree.
Well either way, it still seems like a good game

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
So is it similar to Space Marine?
I'd like a Space Marine 2 please.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
Clive Howlitzer said:
Wait, I am confused. The title of the article says the game was downgraded but all I see is an upgrade. Did I miss something?
My thoughts exactly. Now if only they would come out with a single player version of The Old Republic...oh wait, who am I kidding, then people wouldn't have to give part of their being to the Soul (EA)ter each month.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I have gone from 0% interest in this game to 50% interest. Not mmo... passes first test. I will have to watch this game. Pity about the lost jobs, but some cuts is better than whole ship going down.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Yaaaaaayyyyyyyyeeeee!!! Wooohooo!! Wup! Wup! Wup!

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

*dances around in little circles, pumping his arms like a nerdboy t-rex*

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
VonKlaw said:
Still pretty exited about this, aslong as it keeps some of the MMO-ish features (e.g. I don't want to have to play as a spehss mahreen)
This. Freaking A THIS! Even if the stories have to be shortened, I will be a happy camper if I can play as ANYTHING not Space Marine related. Eldar, Necron, Ork, Tau, hell I'll even take the Jokeraru over yet ANOTHER adventure with the Emperor's finest!

Ah who the hell am I kidding? We all know those bastards sell like hotcakes. Hopefully we'll get different CHAPTERS at least. I'm so effing sick of the Smurfs.