THQ is Unruffled by the GTA V Trailer

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Blunderboy said:
Grey Carter said:
Satsuki666 said:
Grey Carter said:
THQ doesn't think the recent Grand Theft Auto V trailer will affect Saints Row: The Third preorders at all.
Well that is stating the obvious. Anybody who thinks that this GTA trailer would effect saints row 3 preorders or sales has to have brain damage. Why the hell would a trailer for a game that wont come out for atleast another eight months effect the sales of a game that comes out within a month?
Investors, they genuinely ask that kind of stuff.
Investors are pretty damn crazy then. They do realize that consumers are capable of liking two similar products don't they? :p
Hell, as you pointed out, these two aren?t even that similar anyway, at least not in terms of tone.
Plus, given the time difference in terms of release dates, it?s amazing they would raise that question.
Its not as crazy as it seems.

Consider the price of each game and the bad economy. If you are buying more than one game a month and you're a student or unemployed you can essentially screw yourself over. For investors, if they see two similar products coming out when consumers have lower demand and money that usual, and considering their panic from the failure of their other stocks with the crash, and we take into consideration that investors do research but they don't necessarily (in fact its unlikely) play video games (or at least the major investors don't), and we see that investors really only care about the bottom line BECAUSE they aren't gamers or creators so they have nothing invested in the game but money, then we see that investor behaviour isn't irrational so much as attempting to use a concrete theory on a random system (stock markets). Due to the randomness of the system, the mechanics stay the same BUT the data that comes in and out is unrelated to one another.

So investors have to be creative about how they are going to judge the possible success of one thing to another thing. Whether two video game stocks, or a video game stock and banana stock, you still have to compare and see where its best to hedge your bets but you can see how impossible it is to create the theoretical framework that will ALWAYS tell you which is more profitable. As I said, they use creative common sense instead of theory because it allows you to make outlandish comparisons. They might argue: its becoming winter, when bananas do not grow and banana consumption goes down in North America. However, video games are indoor entretainment, one would assume a snowstorm would mean that video games are going to do well in late fall and winter. However, maybe they would want a Kinect because the lack of physical exercise will make people WANT to move around and use their neglected bodies, something they definitely not want to do after sweating in the summer heat.

In reality, this is no different from gambling. People assuming that common sense observations could help make a RANDOM system make sense and help them win(Gambling and stock market are as complex in their cause and effect chains and therefore I will claim both are random, but this is debatable).

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
Squilookle said:
Watching middle aged blokes in suits, representing multimillion-dollar companies, scream and flail their arms at each other like schoolchildren is really quite funny, undignified as it may be.
Not when you realise it is affecting the quality, production, and entire design ethic of games you're waiting for.

As for the reaction- Brian Farrel is a star. There's nothing wrong with complimenting the competition on what they do well- I'd be the first to vote for whichever politician actually had the cojones to do it to a rival. Brian's acknowledgement of GTA while level headedly pointing out the very clear difference of directions the series is taking is the best answer anyone could give. I have nothing but respct for the guy for such comments.

I have also now decided to buy Saints Row the Third. And unless GTA V makes it clear soon that San Fierro and Las Venturas are also returning while GTA IV's car handling isn't, then I don't think I'll be getting GTAV.
I don't see San Fierro and Las Venturas making an appearance, I think the focus is solely gonna be on Los Santos, which I'm fine with. As much as I love Saint's Row, I'm looking forward to seeing what GTAV has to offer this time around

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
+100 respect for Brian Farrell. It's really nice to see that not all companies have to trash the competition publicly like EA does.

similar.squirrel said:
This reminds me of how rushed and godawful Prototype turned out to be because they were trying to release it alongside inFamous. That still pisses me off.
...wut. Seriously... Did you really just say that?! Ugh. Do some god damn research before you speak in the future because you clearly have absolutely no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Really, you don't have any idea how dumb what you just said is yet, but that's okay, I'll educate you this time. But next time, for the love of god, do your own research.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190361/prototype-pushed-to-2009

Care to explain to me how a game that was originally scheduled for release in late 2008 but was pushed back to 2009 so they could spend more time working on the game was rushed?! That's okay, you don't have to. I know it wasn't rushed and I know you didn't bother to study up on Prototype's original release date before opening your mouth. But now you know: it was not rushed. If it had been, we would have been playing it in 2008, not 2009.

Not to mention that comparing Prototype to inFamous is just as dumb as comparing Saints Row to GTA. Unlike Saints Row and GTA, though, people haven't realized the simple fact that Prototype and inFamous are two completely different styles of games. Of course, this only makes everyone else look more silly, because one is a beat em up/brawler and one is a third person shooter. Totally the same thing!

maxben said:
If you are buying more than one game a month
Your entire defense of the stupid investors falls apart right there. The two games aren't coming out in the same month. They aren't even coming out in the same year.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Satsuki666 said:
Grey Carter said:
THQ doesn't think the recent Grand Theft Auto V trailer will affect Saints Row: The Third preorders at all.
Well that is stating the obvious. Anybody who thinks that this GTA trailer would effect saints row 3 preorders or sales has to have brain damage. Why the hell would a trailer for a game that wont come out for atleast another eight months effect the sales of a game that comes out within a month?
Pretty much states what i think. Saints Row 3 will be awesome and fun. GTA5, for the record, i will need more info....if its like GTA4 then i wont be interested as it was so boring.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
To paraphrase a tweet by him sterling "it's like rocky horror show worrying about les miserable" they are 2 different things

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
After seeing the trailer of Grand Theft Auto V, it doesn't change my thoughts about Saints Row: The Thrid. I bought Saints Row 2 because I saw how fun it looked and when I sat down and played it, I enjoyed it very well. Sure it had a few problems like controlling a car is not as perfect as GTA's, but being able to throw people off of bridges and windows and dressing your character like a stripper, and spray feces everywhere you go makes this game okay in my book because it's fun.

Only twelve more days until the sequel is out, and I can't decide whether to buy it on day one or take a risk and wait until Black Friday and see if it'll go on sale. Either way, this'll be my first game to play when my PS3 is repair next week. Gives me enough time to play this until GTA V is released in a year or two.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I'm actually pretty happy there are both games.
GTA for the story driven more down to earth style and SR for just pure wackyness.
You can't be all things to all people so it's good to have the choice of type of Sandbox game.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
If I can still accelerate in a car, throw the cruise control on, and hop out, watching a crazed battering ram go on for miles I'll be happy.

Saints Row 2 is awesome, and it looks like the positioning for SR3 is square in my quadrant.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
I really don't get why people say GTA is a story driven series when GTA has really terrible stories.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Defintely getting both, especially since there's a whole year gap! GTA has good, character driven storylines of awesomeness, with good settings and stuff. Saint's Row has plenty of awesomeness that is a rough mix of things that are batshit and batfuck insane, with lots o' fun to be had, plus customization.

Also, is it significant that I'm listening to The Beatles's Happiness is A Warm Gun while posting this?

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
subtlefuge said:
If I can still accelerate in a car, throw the cruise control on, and hop out, watching a crazed battering ram go on for miles I'll be happy.

Saints Row 2 is awesome, and it looks like the positioning for SR3 is square in my quadrant.
I never thought of that battering ram thing... I have to try it!

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Plinglebob said:
I almost got caught out by that, but read the full sentence.
Xahn said:
You missed the joke, the sentence starts with "The plainly superior Saints Row: The Third" and is basically saying the same thing you said, only funny.
*edit* ninjas beat me too it....

Grey Carter said:
The plainly superior Saints Row: The Third arrives on 360, PS3 and PC on November 15th. No news on a release date for the obviously better Grand Theft Auto V as of yet.
It's two sentences.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Frankly, THQ is right not to be worried. I would be happy having both as GTA and SR are different enough to feed two game cravings. Rockstar had that chance to really go the zany direction after they made Vice City, but then they made San Andreas with a more serious tone to it, so I would say it is set.
putowtin said:
Looks pretty but if I'm not throwing old ladies into jet engines to turn her into confetti, I'm not interested!
Now you can shoot them out of a cannon into jet engines to turn them into confetti.

Now that I think about it, I think there is probably more competition going on between THQ and Eidos.
Observe:

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
I've never played a Saints Row game and I've only played one GTA game, GTA 4. That said, Saints Row looks a little too wacky for my taste. Call me a stick in the mud but I prefer my games to have a sense of realism to them. Saints Row looks like fun but with every "Saints Moments" trailer I see, the most recent one being your character fighting off zombie hordes with a giant sex toy in a bath robe, the more turned off I get...no pun intended.

It's the same reason why I like Call of Duty or Gears of War over Halo; CoD and GoW have terrestial technology in terms of weaponry and vehicles whereas Halo deals with an alien race of immense technolgical advancement and weaponry and vehicles. At least in Gears of War, the Locust are from the same planet and are actually a little bit behind in terms of weapon technology compared to the humans.

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
I've never played a Saints Row game and I've only played one GTA game, GTA 4. That said, Saints Row looks a little too wacky for my taste. Call me a stick in the mud but I prefer my games to have a sense of realism to them. Saints Row looks like fun but with every "Saints Moments" trailer I see, the most recent one being your character fighting off zombie hordes with a giant sex toy in a bath robe, the more turned off I get...no pun intended.
You're basing an entire franchise on three two-minute videos designed to show off all the new features in the newest game.

You're comparing those two-minute videos to a forty+ hour, mostly story-driven game.

I mean, you're entitled to your tastes and all. No doubt. It just seems a little preemptive to judge from those little snippets, that's all.

Having said that, the SR3 doesn't seem to be trying to compete with anyone this time around (SR2 felt it was trying to do up GTA:SA for some reason) and it seems they went full-out on the crazy. I'm okay with that.
What I'm not okay with is that the online store I preordered from delayed it for three days.

Bastards.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
I have no interest at all in Grand Theft Auto V Five with Saints Row the Third coming out. To my mind, Saints Row is the clearly better game for more than one reason.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Don't see why they should. It's like if HBO and Comedy Central. Both games have their own target audience and they probably have people who play both.

I for one love the new GTA (a fact which is probably becoming painfully obvious to everyone by now. Sorry 'bout that), but I also found SR3 to look quite entertaining in a hit pedestrians with dildos, run around naked, airstrike your enemies kind of way.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Meh, I didn't even watch the GTA5 trailer. Haven't liked one since 3, so I'm not gonna waste my time.