THQ is Unruffled by the GTA V Trailer

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
Let me remind everyone that this was how Saint's Row was introduced to the world. (And no, you don't have to watch all of the videos from the beginning.)

And that's the problem I have here. This new game is so far removed from the tone set from the first and even the second. It would be like watching a horror movie that started out like Poltergeist, then the sequel shifted tones to be more like Ghostbusters, and that sequel shifted to Scooby-Doo.

Apparently the most hated word amongst the Saint's Row 3 fans is "why". Why is it necessary to dropkick through the windshield almost every time you enter a car? Was opening the door and pulling the driver out really getting that boring? Why are there a pair of giant novelty hands that make people explode when you punch them? Why is there any reason for any type of organized crime syndicate to call for a tactical bombing strike over a current major metropolitan city? And before you start mentioning a game like Mercenaries, there you're taking out missile silos and hardened military bunkers, not a bunch of cyber nerds hanging out on a street corner. And for those that are about to say that it's all a fictional city, do you know what else is fictional? Gotham City. And even Batman's collection of psychovillians, this isn't a common day occurrence.

It's not like I don't welcome the out-there premises, I just need a believable reason to latch on to them. Another game that I was looking forward to but whose premise almost drove me away was Driver: San Francisco. When I first heard about this weird ability to be able to jump from one driver's body to another. I asked myself, "Why in the world would they do this? None of the previous games would ever warrant a believable reason for this." Then I saw the Zero Punctuation review that explained that the main character was in a coma and the entire game was taking place in his dream. Then I said, "Oh, all right. That makes sense. Let's go body jumping."

I've said before that the more I see of these crazy options in this game, the less they're sounding like options. The first two games did a much better job at keeping those elements separate from the main game so that those of us that wanted a lighter but still sensible and believable sandbox game could still play it. Here's another game that managed to play both sides right by keeping them separate: Dead Rising. Now you COULD run around a zombie-infested mall wearing a summer dress and a Servbot mask ramming a lawn mower on top of zombies and survivors alike while taking up-skirt photographs of their mangled corpses and snacking on hot dogs and wine, but there's no point in the game where they make you do that. Since the tone of the story is played straight, that's how I choose to play it. Even with all of the supposed "wackiness" of GTA: San Andreas, it was still a down-to-earth story about a guy that learned that there was a bigger world beyond his old neighborhood.

I was originally excited when I saw that first trailer for Saint's Row 3, but every video I've seen after that has sucked that excitement out of me. It hasn't completely betrayed me to the point where I refuse to even consider buying it like the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot (that's another rant for another time), but it has gotten to the point where I will wait to get it when the price drops. SEVERELY. Like under $10.00. I personally get tired whenever I hear that GTA IV's down-to-earthness being referred to as a deterrent. That's the very reason I bought it, and Red Dead Redemption, and L.A. Noire, and why I'll be getting Max Payne 3 on the first day. I'm hoping that it doesn't get completely sacrificed in GTA V just to cater to the kill-crazy meatheads who think that type of stuff is "gay".

And for all of those who are starting to formulate their responses to how I am "unable to accept any opinions that are different from my own" or "how I am trying to take your fun away from you", let me stop you RIGHT NOW. Go back, read this entire post from beginning to end, and show me where exactly I said anything close to that.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
goliath6711 said:
Let me remind everyone that this was how Saint's Row was introduced to the world. (And no, you don't have to watch all of the videos from the beginning.)
And that's the problem I have here. This new game is so far removed from the tone set from the first and even the second. It would be like watching a horror movie that started out like Poltergeist, then the sequel shifted tones to be more like Ghostbusters, and that sequel shifted to Scooby-Doo.
If that's the way you feel about it, that's the way you feel about it. If you want a game that can play the straight man, then you do that. I probably would have gone for a Men in Black analogy myself. Think of K as the straight man that was Saints Row, J as the not quite straight man for Saints Row 2, and Pug the Dog for Saints Row 3. They're all intertwined for a story, but sometimes it just has to get weird.

Apparently the most hated word amongst the Saint's Row 3 fans is "why". Why is it necessary to dropkick through the windshield almost every time you enter a car? Was opening the door and pulling the driver out really getting that boring? Why are there a pair of giant novelty hands that make people explode when you punch them? Why is there any reason for any type of organized crime syndicate to call for a tactical bombing strike over a current major metropolitan city? And before you start mentioning a game like Mercenaries, there you're taking out missile silos and hardened military bunkers, not a bunch of cyber nerds hanging out on a street corner. And for those that are about to say that it's all a fictional city, do you know what else is fictional? Gotham City. And even Batman's collection of psychovillians, this isn't a common day occurrence.
Why not do or have any of those things? I'd also like to point to the Cataclysm reference when Bane decided to
nuke part of an already destroyed Gotham City

It's not like I don't welcome the out-there premises, I just need a believable reason to latch on to them. Another game that I was looking forward to but whose premise almost drove me away was Driver: San Francisco. When I first heard about this weird ability to be able to jump from one driver's body to another. I asked myself, "Why in the world would they do this? None of the previous games would ever warrant a believable reason for this." Then I saw the Zero Punctuation review that explained that the main character was in a coma and the entire game was taking place in his dream. Then I said, "Oh, all right. That makes sense. Let's go body jumping."
I hope you get your premise you're looking for. Me, I just want to have some stupid fun in a different version of Stillwater.

I've said before that the more I see of these crazy options in this game, the less they're sounding like options. The first two games did a much better job at keeping those elements separate from the main game so that those of us that wanted a lighter but still sensible and believable sandbox game could still play it. Here's another game that managed to play both sides right by keeping them separate: Dead Rising. Now you COULD run around a zombie-infested mall wearing a summer dress and a Servbot mask ramming a lawn mower on top of zombies and survivors alike while taking up-skirt photographs of their mangled corpses and snacking on hot dogs and wine, but there's no point in the game where they make you do that. Since the tone of the story is played straight, that's how I choose to play it. Even with all of the supposed "wackiness" of GTA: San Andreas, it was still a down-to-earth story about a guy that learned that there was a bigger world beyond his old neighborhood.
I think the intent of an over the top silly game is a good idea, because it hasn't been done on the AAA scale.

I was originally excited when I saw that first trailer for Saint's Row 3, but every video I've seen after that has sucked that excitement out of me. It hasn't completely betrayed me to the point where I refuse to even consider buying it like the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot (that's another rant for another time), but it has gotten to the point where I will wait to get it when the price drops. SEVERELY. Like under $10.00. I personally get tired whenever I hear that GTA IV's down-to-earthness being referred to as a deterrent. That's the very reason I bought it, and Red Dead Redemption, and L.A. Noire, and why I'll be getting Max Payne 3 on the first day. I'm hoping that it doesn't get completely sacrificed in GTA V just to cater to the kill-crazy meatheads who think that type of stuff is "gay".
When a game decides to railroad in crap that I don't want, then I start to either avoid it, or regret it. I hope you find the fun game you're looking for in GTA V. I didn't have fun with GTA IV, so I might pass on GTA V, until reviews come out.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I see your serious GTA V debut trailer, and raise you this Saints Row the Third debut trailer:

Making me ask the question, why would I ever want a super serious crime drama, when I can have a ridiculous, over the top crime comedy?

samsonguy920 said:
Frankly, THQ is right not to be worried. I would be happy having both as GTA and SR are different enough to feed two game cravings. Rockstar had that chance to really go the zany direction after they made Vice City, but then they made San Andreas with a more serious tone to it, so I would say it is set.

Observe:
Oh gods. Thank you for that...so much. Just Cause 2's rampant glitch-tastic enjoyment. We lifted a tank once, as high as we could fly it, then dropped it. The damn thing BOUNCED. Oh, Just Cause 2, how much I love you.

Bishop99999999

Dec 6, 2007
One creates and realistic and emotional world. The other creates an over-the-top playground.

I HEREBY DECLARE THAT I SHALL PURCHASE BOTH!!!!

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Yup the games are very very very different. Well at least in feel!

So really it is like do you want to drive in this open buggy? Or in this SUV?

The SUV will feel a bit more luxury with a nice warm inside but. The Open Buggy is a hell lot of fun!

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
I kind of feel bad for THQ, because Saints Row is great, but they've always been overshadowed by Rockstar. Then they announced Saints Row 3 and it looked great, and everyone was hyped. Then Rockstar releases one trailer and its front page news on ever site. I'm sorry THQ has to take the back seat, I hope Saints Row 3 is as great a game as it looks. THQ deserves it.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Did anyone really think THQ would be worried? GTAV won't be coming out for a long while yet, since they've only just released the first trailer. Anyone who would hold off buying Saint's Row because a different open-world crime sandbox game is several long months away clearly wasn't that into the game to begin with.

Saint's Row, as a series, has now mapped out their own territory within the open-world crime sandbox genre of gaming. Grand Theft Auto is the fun but restrained series now, while Saint's Row is the colourful, balls-out off-the-wall insane series. Both have a clear place in the market and them competing against each other is just stupid.

I could understand it if GTAV was coming out the same time Saint's Row 3 is, and was incredibly similar, but it's not. This isn't a Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 situation, this is like if another turn-based Paper Mario got antsy because a new Final Fantasy was coming out a year after it.

Similar in basic gameplay style, but very different entities.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
goliath6711 said:
Why is it necessary to dropkick through the windshield almost every time you enter a car?
It's faster and more entertaining.
Why are there a pair of giant novelty hands that make people explode when you punch them?
Because it's entertaining.
Why is there any reason for any type of organized crime syndicate to call for a tactical bombing strike over a current major metropolitan city?
nd for those that are about to say that it's all a fictional city, do you know what else is fictional? Gotham City. And even Batman's collection of psychovillians, this isn't a common day occurrence.
That is WHY it's entertaining. Your character and all those involved with you are essentially maniacle super-villains that put comic book villains to shame, but are dropped into a world that has to rely on everyday mundane methods of trying to deal with you all.

And why? Because it's entertaining! I'm not trying to start shit with you, I'm just explaining that you don't always need to explain everything, sometimes you can just make stuff immensely entertaining. Because gaming is primarily an entertainment medium. I don't want to live in a world where I can't boot up my console and punch people into chunks with oversized gloves or kill civilians with wrestling moves because "it doesn't make sense".

I've said before that the more I see of these crazy options in this game, the less they're sounding like options. The first two games did a much better job at keeping those elements separate from the main game so that those of us that wanted a lighter but still sensible and believable sandbox game could still play it.
I'm just not seeing the argument that insane fun is a bad thing. Maybe I just have the maturity of a child, but I'm not seeing the downside. For me, the entire point of playing games like this is to unwind and kick back doing crazy shit I could never do in real life. So why would I want my games to be limited to the same rules as reality? Why would I want to just kill someone with a normal shotgun when I can kill someone with a shotgun disguised as a pimp cane that makes my character do an over-exaggerated pimp stride when he walks with it?

Why would I want to hit people with a baseball bat when I could hit them with an over-sized dildo on a stick?

Why would I want to throw normal explosives at a group of enemies when I could call in an air strike, or hi-jack a jet fighter that has flame-throwers and laser guns on it?

I personally get tired whenever I hear that GTA IV's down-to-earthness being referred to as a deterrent. That's the very reason I bought it, and Red Dead Redemption, and L.A. Noire, and why I'll be getting Max Payne 3 on the first day. I'm hoping that it doesn't get completely sacrificed in GTA V just to cater to the kill-crazy meatheads who think that type of stuff is "gay".
See, I can understand this. I played GTAIV, and I played L.A Noire, and I played Red Dead Redemption, and I loved all of them. But given the choice, however, I will naturally gravitate towards any game offering me fighter jets with flame-throwers or a car that can suck people up and fire them across the city for no adequately described reason.

I don't hate games that stick to realism, obviously. I just think games that have that freedom to completely abandon logic and just go "now try this thing!" have an incredibly awesome place in the gaming market.

And for all of those who are starting to formulate their responses to how I am "unable to accept any opinions that are different from my own" or "how I am trying to take your fun away from you", let me stop you RIGHT NOW. Go back, read this entire post from beginning to end, and show me where exactly I said anything close to that.
Not my intention, I'm not arguing. I'm just presenting things from my side.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
The plainly superior... Ha.

Anyway, I haven't played Saint's Row 2, but I will say that GTA4 was pretty terrible through my standards. The driving physics, especially the six-axis kind, is terrible. The characters and story are just really boring and I would just skip those scenes because it just didn't add much to the experience. Everything is brown.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
I see your serious GTA V debut trailer, and raise you this Saints Row the Third debut trailer:

Making me ask the question, why would I ever want a super serious crime drama, when I can have a ridiculous, over the top crime comedy?

o.0 LOL!!! now THAT'S an introduction video XD.

i'm with Behatted here, i'll take the goof ball crime game where i can beat some one to death with a giant purple dildo (and what a way to go XD, there's now one more way to die you may not wanna cop to XD) over the 'crime is srsbisnus' crime game. I'm here to have fun and break every one else's stuff not re-enact the godfather

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
I actually didn't mind the darker tone of GTA IV, but in the end i'm willing to bet Saint's Row: The Third will beat the shit out of GTA V. Besides, i'm honestly more holding out for a sequel to L.A Noire in which the character responses are more detailed so you don't feel like you're more playing a game of rock-paper-scissors as opposed to a suspect interview.

That, or a Red Dead Redemption sequel in which you can toss bait onto enemies Boomer Bile style and get them to be attacked by mountain lions.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
It sounds like he's a really cool guy. He didn't say anything bad about Rockstar and kept it civil.

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
goliath6711 said:
Why is it necessary to dropkick through the windshield almost every time you enter a car?
It's faster and more entertaining.
Why are there a pair of giant novelty hands that make people explode when you punch them?
Why is there any reason for any type of organized crime syndicate to call for a tactical bombing strike over a current major metropolitan city?
nd for those that are about to say that it's all a fictional city, do you know what else is fictional? Gotham City. And even Batman's collection of psychovillians, this isn't a common day occurrence.
That is WHY it's entertaining. Your character and all those involved with you are essentially maniacle super-villains that put comic book villains to shame, but are dropped into a world that has to rely on everyday mundane methods of trying to deal with you all.

And why? Because it's entertaining! I'm not trying to start shit with you, I'm just explaining that you don't always need to explain everything, sometimes you can just make stuff immensely entertaining. Because gaming is primarily an entertainment medium. I don't want to live in a world where I can't boot up my console and punch people into chunks with oversized gloves or kill civilians with wrestling moves because "it doesn't make sense".
"Because it's entertaining"? That's the only reason you can come up with? That's not even really a reason. You can say that about anything, no matter how stupid or nonsenseical it is.

Why have you been staring at a light bulb for the last 10 hours? "Because it's entertaining"

Why are you banging your hand with a hammer? "Because it's entertaining"

Why are you dancing to a TV test pattern? "Because it's entertaining"

Why are you drinking battery acid? "Because it's entertaining"

See how much it loses its meaning?

Now I could go on and on about how this is just your opinion, but that's not really what you're doing here. At least not by what I'm reading. You're not telling me why you and people who would agree with you would find this fun. You're telling me that this is the universal definition that every single person on the planet associates with the word "fun" or "entertaining".

In other words; you're not giving a personal opinion, you're presenting a universal theory. And that is exactly what will get you into trouble in these situations. You can tell me about what you think is fun and what you think is boring all you want. What you can't do, and what I won't let you do, is tell me what I should think is fun and what is boring.