THQ Promises No "Steroided-Out" Flag-Wavers in Homefront

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
Kollega said:
I am, to be frank, insulted by how many people here speak favorably of North Korea. So okay, the United States have totally screwed up their reputation in the latest ten years - but North Korea is a brutal, opressive dictatorship that puts absolutely no value on a human life. You guys are just... ugh. I can't even pick the right words.
It's simple: The US is the more visible target for people's ire. And if they don't notice or care to notice something, then it doesn't matter to them. Let's face it, nobody really cares about how horrible North Korea is, but everyone has something to say about "Those American jerks." People are self-centered and self-righteous in equal measure, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Then again, America gets invaded by communists every other week. You'd think there'd be some other shooty-game-idea floating around in the ether, waiting for someone to stumble onto it in the midst of a drunken haze in the shadows of the great dark development cycle.

EDIT:
ma55ter_fett said:
You realize that Japan has a much much much smaller military force than North Korea right? And the Japanese are prohibited by international law to spend more than a pittance on their JSDF forces?
Technically, this is true. However, in practice the JSDF order of battle is about as threatening as you'd expect the military of a major global economic power to be. Recent troubles indicate popular support for a stronger defense force among the Japanese public, too, especially since they're feeling threatened by... Korea. Both of it.

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
This is why I love Matthew Reilly's "Seven Deadly Wonders", or "Seven Ancient Wonders" known in countries known not America.

In the book, America is the bad guy and an Australian is the hero. While I do occasionally enjoy a good "America, Fuck Yeah" movie, I enjoy a more realistic, down to earth characters.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
this isnt my name said:
Hahaha seriously, they could have atleast had a dacent plot, korea wont unite, ifit attacks america EUrope will probobally help, and I think Japan would kick koreas ass. So much fail. As much as I hate teryotypes I would rather a belivable power like china attack.

Also this is failing at the "less patriotism" aspect.
The JSDF (Japan Self Defence Force) is woefully under-funded and under-supported. If the USA pulled out of Japan, a country with the militarism of North Korea and the economic output of South Korea could easily overpower it on all fronts.

Now, as to why and how Korea could ever be reunited, that'll be an interesting twist if done well, and a terrible excuse for a hypothetical war if it's done badly.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
What? The E3 gameplay showed four huge gruff muscle men taking on three hundred Koreans with RPGs and stuff.....Anyway, the game looked horribly mediocre.

Evil mr dave

Apr 28, 2009
megs1120 said:
Evil mr dave said:
megs1120 said:
For people going for a grounded setting, the war they're imagining should be a bit less ridiculous. North Korea reuniting the Korean peninsula? A Korean invasion of the United States? You've got to be kidding me.
Not nessecarilly, while i can think of no reason to invade the U.S. they (the greater korean republic) would certainly have the man power for it.
Well, I suppose North Korea would have the manpower for it if they got the Chinese Peoples Army to join up like they did when the McArthur stupidly crossed the Yalu River and singlehandedly lost the Korean War.

The big issues are that...

#1 The Chinese and North Koreans have no high seas fleet to speak of, rendering them unable to adequately project power, much less move millions of troops halfway around the world for an invasion.

#2 The USA is a terrible target. It simply covers too much landmass and is too well defended, from the military to the national guard all the way down to local militias.

It's just so silly.
While thats true this is taking place about twenty years from now and in that time they could concevable have built quite a substancial fleet, given they had all of korea (south korea containing the worlds largest ship yard) and japan for supplies.

also i isnt the thing about local militias what the game is about?

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Looks interesting. But of course, you see that if the US is overpowered, only a guerrilla assault from Canada could save the day :)

I'd play that. Well, as long as it isn't based in Toronto.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
this isnt my name said:
-Drifter- said:
this isnt my name said:
Hahaha seriously, they could have atleast had a dacent plot, korea wont unite, ifit attacks america EUrope will probobally help, and I think Japan would kick koreas ass. So much fail. As much as I hate teryotypes I would rather a belivable power like china attack.

Spellcheck. Use it.

Anyway, I don't really get why some are accusing this game of being overly-patriotic. The USA isn't exactly saving the day, they're trying to fight off an invasion.
Yeah I made lots of errors in my post, probabally should have read it over first, but to late now. You dont think its patriotic how America is somehow going to be the one that fights of the koreans, where everyone else failed, and thus showing how tough americans are ? This seems more patriotic than other games, excluding those of WW2.
Not really. It's worth keeping in mind that America is probably the strongest military power in the world. Besides, you don't know for sure that the Americans win. After all, there is going to be a sequel.

nick_knack

Jul 16, 2008
megs1120 said:
For people going for a grounded setting, the war they're imagining should be a bit less ridiculous. North Korea reuniting the Korean peninsula? A Korean invasion of the United States? You've got to be kidding me.
Exactly what I thought. I don't think i can suspend my disbelief for this one.

Though we should give them credit for not making it Russia again.

TinCynic

Jul 21, 2010
Maybe if this game was set a century from now, in Never Never Land, where the laws of physics and common sense have been suspended, could I believe the Koreans, united or not, could actually invade the United States.
But honestly, I've already played MW2, Freedom Fighters, and all the other games where upstanding American civilians with absolutely no training are able to stop and turn back an enemy invasion. I'd like to play a game where you get to be the invader.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I'm sorry but I find it very inplausible that North Korea would actually have the military power to attack and annex the majority of the world.

Shoes

Sep 19, 2009
I has one questions, where are our Allies with benefits A.K.A. The UK?
How come theres little to no mention of our brothers across the pond?

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
ma55ter_fett said:
this isnt my name said:

You realize that Japan has a much much much smaller military force than North Korea right? And the Japanese are prohibited by international law to spend more than a pittance on their JSDF forces?
No one attack Japan unless its Godzilla.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
megs1120 said:
Yeah I noticed that too. It seems a little like trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"We're a global company. No jingoism here," he continued. "What we're telling the story of is civilians fighting for their homes. We've created this massive world of 2027. And it's global. We haven't got there yet but you're going to see Homefront: London later on in the franchise. This is not just a game in the U.S."
A massive world? I hope there's enough room in that world for Australia. Unless there's a Homefront: Melbourne in the pipeline, I'm not interested.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
If this was dev'ed by a more respectable studio, I would be extremely excited. Hopefully this turns out well, because it seems like a sweet concept.