THQ Refocusing on Core Gaming

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Remake chaos gate or Space Hulk and you can have all of my money, THQ. Also Dow1 was teh sex.

I think this development pleases me.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
Will Relic go down with them if they crash?
Course that's really all I care about.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Surely that's what they've been doing with the likes of Space Marine and Red Faction and Saints Row and Homefront? Seems pretty core to me. Were there major THQ releases that I missed? Was de Blob THQ? Come to think of it it might have been. Well okay that's one...

THEJORRRG said:
Oh and could you make Saints Row good again?
WHAT YOU SAY? D:<

...Saints Row The Third was amazing. Anyone who thinks otherwise is, in all probability, a ghost. Are you a ghost...?

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"Additionally, our robust digital content offerings for this game have resulted in the highest digital revenue of any console title in our history."

Robust? Have you seen this shit? They're charging three whole fucking dollars for cheats. CHEATS!.

If there is one thing THQ is bad at, it's DLC. All of the quite frankly, horrendous DLC for SR3 compounded with the atrocious skin packs for Space Marine and DoWII makes me incredibly sceptical of any of their DLC.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Well, I found space marine pretty terrible. I'm more concerned about Relic Entertainment. But still, with a share slide like that, this company is beyond saving.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
1. Get Relic to develop DOW3
2. Don't rush them
3. Study the way EA treats customers
4. Do the opposite of EA
5. Don't put any stupid DRM on DOW3
6. ?????
7. Profit.

Also Darksiders and space marine.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well the best case scenario of this means their top titles will get proper development attention and funding, worst case scenario they only start milking their top titles.

Just for the love of christ do it proper because you have awesome titles at your disposal and we will buy them.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Guys.

You realize they pretty much admitted that there's a new Company of Heroes-game in the making, right? It makes sense as they've really put in the effort to help the current CoH community with tournaments and the Sunday Night Fight-show, but still, why isn't anyone mentioning that there's probably a follow up to fucking CoH?

Let's just hope it's not like Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor again.

Master_Fubar23

Jun 25, 2009
How about stop making shitty games and THQ will do better. I loved Red Faction 1 and 2 but I'm not a lap dog thats going to hand over money for shit(Guerilla and Armageddon).

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Ah licensed games, they seem so easy really a basic template for a game, only a few months work to put together and voila you get your money in.

Except that these days people are allot of savy, with less money even the lazy mothers who never check before they buy are..actually not buying up all those licensed games.

I am not saying that licensed games should dissapear but yeah it doesn't makes money. They are almost like selling knockoffs.. well.. lets be fair they are knockoffs. And people are getting more Savy if not only because they them self are learning this then that the parents or the kids are telling that "The game sucked"

So.. only going for the big hitters. Not a bad idea risky obviously because big hitters are also more expensive to make. YET at least you are not knocking off on a knock off! Might actually put some value back in the company!

Saints Row 3? Geesh.. I like it but I agree that I can see where it can grow stale. If a Saints Row the 7th comes out... it will be like a pack of chips that have stood open to long. I think 3 is on the tipping point, it has a few small things that might be already going stale but it has enough to offer to make it fresh as a whole. I do though feel that this is a tipping point this is probably as good as they can make it.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
...and Warhammer 40,000 are in.
Excellent! THQ has made the best use of the Game Workshop licence in my opinion. Love Dawn of War, was mediocre about DoW2 but I'm in love with Space Marine and it's DLC so far. The more concentration on that and other things like that are a plus in my book.
I've never really been interested in any other THQ franchise excpet Red Faction and the last game in the series I liked was the very first one on PS2!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I am disappointed, ladies and gentlemen - deeply disappointed - that it took 33 messages before someone mentioned Metro. We all have our biases (and mine are pretty well known) but the Metro franchise is the only THQ property I care about in the least. And I really want Last Light done well. "Uncompromised" is an excellent way to put it.

I do think that 2033 did well enough that Last Light would be picked up pretty quickly by another publisher if THQ were to bite it. And I'd be perfectly okay with that if it meant a better game. Which is something that hopefully THQ has finally figured out: making good games is an important part of the equation. Licenses and shovelware and Danny Bilson all have their place but if you're not making good games, sooner or later it'll bite you in the ass.

Odoylerules360

We're all just folk now...
Aug 29, 2008
Could this mean a sequel to Space Marine?

Or Firewarrior?

Or just more FPAwesomes in the 40K IP?

Score!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm glad they have come out and said this. It only makes sense for them to do this right now. Their core franchises have always had strong sales, gotten good reviews, and been well liked by a great many players. I would like to point out that there is no need to retire the Red Faction titles stand a chance of being successful, that whole Armageddon nonsense has to go though.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It would be nice if it felt like relic finally got enough money to make the game it wanted to, every game of theirs I play is great but also feels like it was capped by just not having a big enough budget, I can only imagine how awesome something they would make if they had a blizzard sized budget, plus thq really needs to take a look back at its dlc plans since they keep doing really stupid dlc things, don't release map packs or multiplayer game modes unless your player base is big enough to be fractured, if its not then it just makes people either not want to risk not finding people to play with or it kills the multiplayer of a game.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Of course! How could I forget that it was THQ who made that brilliant game called Metro: 2033?
Metro last light looks good so far, so im confident that it will be a good sequel.
I really hope THQ starts getting money back with these bigger franchises as they are a really good publisher who im usually quite happy to see is involved with a game.

AaronDemoncia

Jul 14, 2010
it would help if they allowed us to buy their back catalogue of games. but letting ebay get all their revenue because i cant buy a pc version of summoner is cool? /pissmoanwrist @.@