Three months left, what's your Game of the Decade?

Redemption003

Apr 19, 2009
Good thread idea, I'll try to chuck in a bit of variety genre-wise.

2000: Diablo II (Honourable mention to Pokemon G/S)
2001: Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (Honourable mention to MGS2: SoL)
2002: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Honourable mention to Pokemon R/S and SOCOM: US Navy Seals)
2003: Star Wars: KotoR (Honourable mention to Mariokart Double Dash and Warioware)
2004(a very good year for games): World of Warcraft (Honourable mention to Pokemon FR/LG, Pro Evolution Soccer 4, Gran Turismo 4, GTA: San Andreas, MGS3: Snake Eater and Star Wars Battlefront)
2005 (a meh year for games): Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (Honourable mention to Timesplitters: future Perfect and Madden NFL 06)
2006: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Honourable mention to Pokemon D/P and LOTR: BFMEII)
2007: Halo 3 (Honourable mention to Rock Band)
2008: MGS4: Guns of the Patriots (Honourable mention to LittleBigPlanet and Gears of War 2)
2009 (so far): Brütal Legend (Honourable mention to Pokemon Platinum)

Overall Best Game: World of Warcraft (runner up: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind)

Best Franchise/Game Series: Pokemon RPGs (runner up: Metal Gear Solid Series)

Most amusing name award: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! ? A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
(Runner up: Do You Like Horny Bunnies?)

Here's hoping for another good decade, heck a whole decade full of years like 2004 would be great.
That killed plenty of time.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
junkmanuk said:
Oh, and 2002 seems to be a bit of a barren year for good games or is it just me?
Morrowind, GTA Vice City, and Medieval: Total War all came out in '02, and there's Metroid Prime if Nintendo's your cup of tea, but beyond that, I think you're right. Very weak year.

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
SimuLord said:
Xhumed said:
SimuLord said:
Xhumed said:
No Half-Life 2 on that list? Really?
Half-Life 2 came out in 2004. Rome: Total War is the greatest game of all-time, and also came out in 2004. Therefore...

Plus, as you can clearly see from my choices (and my username), I'm not into shooters.

I've played Rome, and didn't care for it too much- it was fun for a while, but I've always preferred Real Time Strategy to Turn Based. And to dismiss Half Life 2 (or Portal) as simply "shooters" is to do them a great dis-service.
Right. I get it. Valve is god, their games are wonderful, nothing can hold a candle to them. Never mind that I've played HL2 and Portal (thanks to an Orange Box-owning friend) and got bored in minutes.

Also, I don't know what parallel universe you live in, but Rome (and Total War in general) ain't a turn-based game...at least not where the fun parts (the battles) are concerned.

As an aside, take another look at that list and tell me again how you could possibly get the idea that I would enjoy a game like Half-Life 2...assuming you've heard of any of the games I mentioned up there besides Total War and Elder Scrolls games.
I am sorry but you are being dishonest with yourself if you cannot acknowledge how great Half Life 2 is. You may not enjoy it but you have to acknowledge it is a master piece. It is like people who say Godfather they didn't like it, but it is plainly obvious it needs to be respected as a cinema great.

Offering a vote though is fine, you can vote for Rome as you enjoy it more, but still to disregard Half Life 2 so easily, ouch.

Aug 17, 2009
World of Warcraft, Halo, or Guitar Hero.

I hate all three of them (although I do like ODST), but they were definitely 'winners' this decade.

For personal preference, I'd either say Oblivion, The Bard's Tale, or Mass Effect.

spinFX said:
SimuLord said:
Xhumed said:
SimuLord said:
Xhumed said:
No Half-Life 2 on that list? Really?
Half-Life 2 came out in 2004. Rome: Total War is the greatest game of all-time, and also came out in 2004. Therefore...

Plus, as you can clearly see from my choices (and my username), I'm not into shooters.

I've played Rome, and didn't care for it too much- it was fun for a while, but I've always preferred Real Time Strategy to Turn Based. And to dismiss Half Life 2 (or Portal) as simply "shooters" is to do them a great dis-service.
Right. I get it. Valve is god, their games are wonderful, nothing can hold a candle to them. Never mind that I've played HL2 and Portal (thanks to an Orange Box-owning friend) and got bored in minutes.

Also, I don't know what parallel universe you live in, but Rome (and Total War in general) ain't a turn-based game...at least not where the fun parts (the battles) are concerned.

As an aside, take another look at that list and tell me again how you could possibly get the idea that I would enjoy a game like Half-Life 2...assuming you've heard of any of the games I mentioned up there besides Total War and Elder Scrolls games.
I am sorry but you are being dishonest with yourself if you cannot acknowledge how great Half Life 2 is. You may not enjoy it but you have to acknowledge it is a master piece. It is like people who say Godfather they didn't like it, but it is plainly obvious it needs to be respected as a cinema great.

Offering a vote though is fine, you can vote for Rome as you enjoy it more, but still to disregard Half Life 2 so easily, ouch.
I don't think Half-Life 2 is worth the God-like praise it gets, either. In terms of the intrigue and story (which is strange, considering), Left 4 Dead is a far better game from Valve.

I won't say that it's a bad game, just that it just seems so...dull. Especially for an Action/Adventure Shooter like it is.

Semitendon

Aug 4, 2009
Spot1990 said:
Semitendon said:
My list:

2000: Mario Party 3
2001: GTA 3
2002: GTA Vice City
2003: SOCOM 2 US Navy Seals
2004: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2
2005: Gun
2006: Elder Scrolls 4-Oblivion
2007: Mass Effect * Honorable mention Bioshock
2008: Fallout 3 * Honorable mention Civilization Revolution
2009: Batman- Arkham Asyslum * not definite until 2010

GAME OF THE DECADE: Oblivion * Honorable mentions to Mass Effect and Knights of the Old Republic 2.

This list is based on multiple factors, including Fun while playing, The platform I had access to, I actually played the game, and Amount of time I played.

Games that I did not play, or did not have access to, did not make the list.

Also, it is important to note, that my video game experience was extremely limited until 2005, and I am not including multiplayer as part of the criteria.
Just out of curiosity, have you played the original Knights of the Old Republic? It's just you never mentioned it but you seem to really like the second one. IMO the first one was way better so if you haven't played it you really should, if you have and didn't enjoy it that much fair enough.
No, sadly, I never had the chance to play that game. I did not have the time or money for very many video games when the original came out. That is why I did not include it on my list. I don't know if it's a downloadable for the 360, but if I get the chance, I will probably follow your recommendation.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
julesville said:
The GAME of the Decade has to be Halo 3, wether you liked it or not! No game had more build up, no game had more hype, no game has ever had as big a debut (except maybe E.T.). and no game is STILL played with as much ridiculous fervor. Best Selling game of 2007, the fastest pre-selling game to date, made $170 million in one day, and made every FPS since the 1st one try desperately to be a "Halo-killer", all failed!!! Halo 3 and the Halo series defined the new era of gaming and defined the 2000s as the decade where gaming became an entertainment fixture.
then can we claim that "6 days in Fallujah" is the perfect example of the line that game developers can not cross? That game definitely has told everyone where the line is in realistic military fps.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
clericwithnolife31 said:
World of Warcraft ( yeah I'll get crap for that ) or SF4
You'd probably get more crap for SF4 than for WoW. Disappointing sequel to a great game series vs. the biggest time-suck life-destroying MMORPG in the history of the genre.

firedfns13

Jun 4, 2009
Ace Combat 5 was amazing! Definitely one of my favorite games.
However, I think Bioshock or Oblivion would be game of the Decade, with RB6 Vegas and COD4 close seconds with their awesome multiplayer (until I figured out RB6 was all memorization)

ShiningOmega

Jun 28, 2009
There are several outstanding ones in some of the years, so I'll list them in my preferences.

2001: Final Fantasy X
2002: Kingdom Hearts
2003: Knights of the Old Republic
2004: Half-Life 2
2005: Kingdom Hearts 2
2006: 1st place: Oblivion.--- 2nd Place: Gears of War
2007: 1st place: BioShock.-- 2nd Place: The Orange Box.--- 3rd Place: Assassin's Creed/Mass Effect
2008: 1st place: Fallout 3.--- 2nd place: Gears of War 2
2009: Modern Warfare 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 will be the best.

In my opinion, 2007 was the best year in video gaming history, and not just because they came out with BioShock (my favorite game) that year. It was just phenomenal all around, and I didn't even mention Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3.

ShiningOmega

Jun 28, 2009
"The GAME of the Decade has to be Halo 3, wether you liked it or not!

No game had more build up, no game had more hype, no game has ever had as big a debut (except maybe E.T.). and no game is STILL played with as much ridiculous fervor. Best Selling game of 2007, the fastest pre-selling game to date, made $170 million in one day, and made every FPS since the 1st one try desperately to be a "Halo-killer", all failed!!!

Halo 3 and the Halo series defined the new era of gaming and defined the 2000s as the decade where gaming became an entertainment fixture."

Every single one of those reasons was relating to it's success, not it's quality. Things sell like crazy all the time, but that does not make them the best of that class. (Just look at the Snuggie)
I'm not a Halo hater, nor am I a fanboy, but just because something is popular does not mean it's good.