Three Protagonists Taking Over Los Santos in GTA V

Feb 22, 2009
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

Sorry, had to get that out.

Want this, so so much right now. GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, and Max Payne 3 were all incredible games - and it's looking like Rockstar is going to keep up the trend. 8)

Vault101 said:
Evil Smurf said:
Is it as crazy and fun as SR3? If not, I am not buying it.
why do people act like any attempt at you know...being compelling is going to give them depression? or some dissease?
Because dildos are the height of comedy, and any attempt to be serious means you're a boring twat, apparently. Ugh, Saint's Row. That game is fun for all of five minutes until you realise it's entirely made of gimmicks.

abdul

Oct 27, 2012
Apparently you'll be able to swap between the characters any time during free roam but also during the missions,not sure if that means on the fly or between checkpoints though.
Customization will stay the same as in previous GTA,so clothes only.Unfortunately you won't be able to buy any real-estates.

The map will be "bigger than Read Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto IV and San Andreas combined."

Each character will also have a unique social circle (whom they can go bowling with,yay...)

Shooting & melee have been improved which is nice,I really disliked the way they handled shooting in 4 and RDR.It was so clunky compared to driving.

And I agree,woulda been nice to see them handle a female main character for once.(Something like Catalina with less crazy and more depth to it:p)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Legion said:
GTA games are always top quality, but I do hope that we will stick with one character, rather than having episodic changes of protagonists.

I never really enjoy changing characters mid-campaign. Hopefully this will mean co-op.

Worgen said:
Three protagonists and they still couldn't fit in a female, kinda lame.
Knight Captain Kerr said:
All male? That is a shame. Still it looks good.
It is a shame, but then again, having a female protagonist just to please people would be worse. It'd just be box ticking. If they didn't think a female protagonist would work in the story, then it's better off not to have one, as opposed to have one for the sake of it.

It's possible that the characters are needed to be males. They could be ex-cons or ex-squad mates from the military or something, where they all share a past.
It wouldn't have to be shoehorned in at all, hell you could make a woman be ex military or an ex con, I've got a back story for her right here.
Shes an ex-Israeli solder who moves to the states to help her sister get out of some trouble she got into. See, bam, compelling.
Oh right replace Hispanics with most likely white women. That's totally better. Because we all know white people never get enough coverage about how hard it is to to be white in a white person's world.

That totally wouldn't come off badly to minorities or the general public. /sarcasm overload

Give Rockstar the chance to give Hispanics a turn, they haven't gotten their turn yet. Its not like its the last GTA to ever be made. Stop freaking out over nothing.
What the hell are you talking about? Is there a hispanic woman you play as in the game?
From the article picture it looks like its two white guys and a black guy. Anyway, I was just giving an example of a way you could have a women who is ex military since having some kind of back story that would show they have knowledge of weapons is very important in gta games. >.> Anyway, one of the few military's I know of that is integrated with woman as front line troops is Israel, so I went with them, I don't know of any hispanic counties with an integrated military.
My point is: just be happy it isn't a middle aged white guy on a quest that involved 99% other middle aged white guys.

secondly, the right guy is half hispanic. You can still be light skinned and hispanic, there is no needed "darkness" to be Hispanic. Just genetics. I seen Hispanics that look like him constantly.

The middle is also Hispanic, how you confuse him with a black guy is mind boggling unless you went the "dark skin = black." I also know a lot of Hispanics who look like this guy.

The only one who isn't obviously Hispanic is the left one.

Hispanic women is a hard thing to do. You have a lot of culture to apply to her. A lot of mentalities that you must get right. Hispanic men are much freer, but has a faint link to the same mentalities the women follow. I doubt any writer would want to go down that route, especially since most of it is unknown to the majority of the player base.

Most likely it end being called sexist.
They still look white to me and the middle still looks black, I suppose its possible that one of them is a light skinned hispanic but I would be surprised as hell if the middle one isn't black.

I'll bet if they did put a hispanic woman in the game she would end up being more of a stereotype even if they didn't intend it. The hot blooded hispanic woman is second only to the hispanic maid in media and to be a character in gta you pretty much have to be hot blooded.
You can tell he is Hispanic simply by how he is dressed.

That clothing itself is a old school 90s throwback, fashion only popular in Hispanic circles. Its also popular with the old school Cholos. You only see this kind of stuff in Hispanic ghettos and Downtown-East LA. Hispanic neighborhoods with Hispanic gangs.

Dressing like that is not a good idea for anyone not affiliated with a gang. That's how you get shot. Black and Hispanic gangs do have bad blood between them, anyone that dresses like or acts like a cholo is a target. Regardless if they were real gang members or not.

Since the gangs are race based, it would make little sense for a black guy to dress like an old school cholo.
Since when has promotional material cared about anything but looking "cool"?

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
released last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113982-Trailer-Proves-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Set-in-Los-Santos]
I got exited then. By last week, you mean last YEAR.
NightHawk21 said:
I'm not really interested in this, but I found this on reddit and thought you guys might want to read through it. Enjoy :)

Thanks, man!

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
When this guy's dad's complaints have been dealt with,

Then I'll be be willing to care again.

You hurt me last time Rockstar. You hurt me real bad.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
TopazFusion said:
I'm a bit disappointed really. It's just three brown-haired dudes, same as always.
Agreed, a blonde would be extremely avant garde.
Oh God... a ginger would be absolutely mindblowing.

Serious note; what came to my mind was "ok, a black, white and latin guy... demographic pandering much?".

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Oh man, I can't wait to play as White Guy with Short Cropped Hair, White Guy with Short Cropped Hair & Scraggly Beard and Kind of Brownish Guy with Short Cropped Hair!

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Legion said:
GTA games are always top quality, but I do hope that we will stick with one character, rather than having episodic changes of protagonists.

I never really enjoy changing characters mid-campaign. Hopefully this will mean co-op.

Worgen said:
It is a shame, but then again, having a female protagonist just to please people would be worse. It'd just be box ticking. If they didn't think a female protagonist would work in the story, then it's better off not to have one, as opposed to have one for the sake of it.

It's possible that the characters are needed to be males. They could be ex-cons or ex-squad mates from the military or something, where they all share a past.
It wouldn't have to be shoehorned in at all, hell you could make a woman be ex military or an ex con, I've got a back story for her right here.
Shes an ex-Israeli solder who moves to the states to help her sister get out of some trouble she got into. See, bam, compelling.
Oh right replace Hispanics with most likely white women. That's totally better. Because we all know white people never get enough coverage about how hard it is to to be white in a white person's world.

That totally wouldn't come off badly to minorities or the general public. /sarcasm overload

Give Rockstar the chance to give Hispanics a turn, they haven't gotten their turn yet. Its not like its the last GTA to ever be made. Stop freaking out over nothing.
What the hell are you talking about? Is there a hispanic woman you play as in the game?
From the article picture it looks like its two white guys and a black guy. Anyway, I was just giving an example of a way you could have a women who is ex military since having some kind of back story that would show they have knowledge of weapons is very important in gta games. >.> Anyway, one of the few military's I know of that is integrated with woman as front line troops is Israel, so I went with them, I don't know of any hispanic counties with an integrated military.
My point is: just be happy it isn't a middle aged white guy on a quest that involved 99% other middle aged white guys.

secondly, the right guy is half hispanic. You can still be light skinned and hispanic, there is no needed "darkness" to be Hispanic. Just genetics. I seen Hispanics that look like him constantly.

The middle is also Hispanic, how you confuse him with a black guy is mind boggling unless you went the "dark skin = black." I also know a lot of Hispanics who look like this guy.

Hispanic women is a hard thing to do. You have a lot of culture to apply to her. A lot of mentalities that you must get right. Hispanic men are much freer, but has a faint link to the same mentalities the women follow. I doubt any writer would want to go down that route, especially since most of it is unknown to the majority of the player base.

They still look white to me and the middle still looks black, I suppose its possible that one of them is a light skinned hispanic but I would be surprised as hell if the middle one isn't black.

I'll bet if they did put a hispanic woman in the game she would end up being more of a stereotype even if they didn't intend it. The hot blooded hispanic woman is second only to the hispanic maid in media and to be a character in gta you pretty much have to be hot blooded.

That clothing itself is a old school 90s throwback, fashion only popular in Hispanic circles. Its also popular with the old school Cholos. You only see this kind of stuff in Hispanic ghettos and Downtown-East LA. Hispanic neighborhoods with Hispanic gangs.

Dressing like that is not a good idea for anyone not affiliated with a gang. That's how you get shot. Black and Hispanic gangs do have bad blood between them, anyone that dresses like or acts like a cholo is a target. Regardless if they were real gang members or not.

Since the gangs are race based, it would make little sense for a black guy to dress like an old school cholo.
Since when is dressing like you walked out of 1992 cool?

A black guy dressing like a Hispanic gang makes no sense, which means he must be Hispanic. That's the original question, not whether it was cool.

Its like a white guy dressing like a black gang member with black face. It makes no sense. A white guy trying that would be shot on day one. The way the black guy dressing like a cholo would.

The question was whether he was black or not. My argument was that if he was black it would make as much sense as black face white guy.
See, the problem with that is that your assuming they cared. Chances are who ever did the art for it was just looking though designs of clothing that gang members tended to wear and though it looked cool and threw it on the characters.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
GTwander said:
TopazFusion said:
I'm a bit disappointed really. It's just three brown-haired dudes, same as always.

Serious note; what came to my mind was "ok, a black, white and latin guy... demographic pandering much?".
Why do people always assume the middle one is black?

Its two Hispanics and a white guy. Just because a person's skin is dark doesn't mean he is black.
He looks like Tracy Morgan, you out yo mind man.
If you are trying to say he's hispanic because he dresses like a cholo, that makes you racist.

I had an Italian friend that did the same. High socks doesn't make you Mexican.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
GTwander said:
Ultratwinkie said:
GTwander said:
TopazFusion said:

Its two Hispanics and a white guy. Just because a person's skin is dark doesn't mean he is black.
If you are trying to say he's hispanic because he dresses like a cholo, that makes you racist.

no, it doesn't. High socks can be construed as a gang sign, though I was never sure which gang. Its still used in California, but its not an overly blatant sign.

Besides, I am Hispanic. I knew Cholos. Practically everyone did at one point. I knew actual gang members. How do you think I know all this?

Not every person on the Escapist is a white European from a gated community.

Old school 1990s Cholo clothes? Being worn by a "black guy?" Even though he looks much lighter in the actual screen shots?

GTA uses overly colorful cartoons. Don't overly rely on them especially when they give bad angles on the faces.

Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Legion said:

Worgen said:

A black guy dressing like a Hispanic gang makes no sense, which means he must be Hispanic. That's the original question, not whether it was cool.

Its like a white guy dressing like a black gang member with black face. It makes no sense. A white guy trying that would be shot on day one. The way the black guy dressing like a cholo would.

The question was whether he was black or not. My argument was that if he was black it would make as much sense as black face white guy.
See, the problem with that is that your assuming they cared. Chances are who ever did the art for it was just looking though designs of clothing that gang members tended to wear and though it looked cool and threw it on the characters.
Yeah, clothes old school gang members wear from 20 years ago. Almost iconic clothes at that. As if they can somehow mix that up.

If Rockstar took the time to look up other Iconic facets and look of California, I doubt they would be lazy enough to just throw "gang member clothes" onto a main character.

You are talking about a company that almost obsessively adds detail, even down the dating sites and a rumored "vibrant economy." A company that spends over 100 million dollars for a vast, detailed game.

I doubt rockstar is that lazy, or cash strapped.
This isn't stuff that is in the game, this is promotional art. There is a difference, plus given the customization you usually have with the outfits you were in gta games, chances are you can wear whatever the hell you want, including gang clothes.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
JoesshittyOs said:
Therumancer said:
Seems to me that they are imitating Yakuza.

That said, I'm less excited about the idea than I probably should be, I considered GTA IV a bit of a disappointment especially compared to SR 2 and even 3. To me it seems like a choice that is going to lead the game in an increasingly cinematic, and less sandbox-ish type enviroment, probably a situation where your forced to switch between characters at pivotal moments to show things from a differant perspective, and the various "gating" is going to be accomplished that way, with limited enviroments for each character at any given time.

I could be wrong about that, but I can't help but think "GTA V: Yakuza Clone" when I hear this.
There's so many things wrong with that last line it hurts.

C'mon.... Really now? You GTA is trying to copy the Yakuza series -with the most latest addition of that series focusing on a zombie apocalypse in Japan- based solely on the premise that there are now multiple protagonists? Because it's such an unused concept?

The series, not specific chapters of it. The whole "multiple protaganists" thing has been a Yakuza staple for the last couple of installments, zombies have little to do with it. It's pretty transparent Rockstar is copying from the competition, Yakuza being one of their competitors, and also a long lasting series.

You might not like the point, but I call it as I see it. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with borrowing things from other games in of itself, that's how the industry grows. I just tend to think this paticular gimmick is more of an annoyance than anything, and given the amount of time GTA V has been out there and nearing development I find it pretty disturbing when this is really the only big thing we've heard involving it. Given the missteps of GTA IV, going too cinematic, reduced options and play area since San Andreas, and other things, this sadly seems to be something I'd expect from Rockstar. I honestly don't think Rockstar has been the same since the whole "Hot Coffee" thing, especially in terms of innovation. I think when they decided to back down there it kind of crushed the soul of the company on a number of levels. For today's Rockstar, the guys who made GTA IV, picking up the gimmick from one of the "also ran" series and using it as the central gimmick of their newest game is kind of what I'd expect.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
GTwander said:
Ultratwinkie said:
GTwander said:
TopazFusion said:

no, it doesn't. High socks can be construed as a gang sign, though I was never sure which gang. Its still used in California, but its not an overly blatant sign.

Besides, I am Hispanic. I knew Cholos. Practically everyone did at one point. I knew actual gang members. How do you think I know all this?

Not every person on the Escapist is a white European from a gated community.

Old school 1990s Cholo clothes? Being worn by a "black guy?" Even though he looks much lighter in the actual screen shots?

GTA uses overly colorful cartoons. Don't overly rely on them especially when they give bad angles on the faces.

Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Worgen said:
Legion said:

Worgen said:

Yeah, clothes old school gang members wear from 20 years ago. Almost iconic clothes at that. As if they can somehow mix that up.

If Rockstar took the time to look up other Iconic facets and look of California, I doubt they would be lazy enough to just throw "gang member clothes" onto a main character.

You are talking about a company that almost obsessively adds detail, even down the dating sites and a rumored "vibrant economy." A company that spends over 100 million dollars for a vast, detailed game.

I doubt rockstar is that lazy, or cash strapped.
This isn't stuff that is in the game, this is promotional art. There is a difference, plus given the customization you usually have with the outfits you were in gta games, chances are you can wear whatever the hell you want, including gang clothes.
Promotional art is meant to give a feel for its characters and personality. A feel for what and who the character is. Its a stereotype drawing. While the clothing may or may not be in the game, its the iconography that gives you a feel for its personality. That's the entire point for GTA's art.

GTA always did it in a stereotypical way. I mean, look at the loading screen of GTA IV's gay character. Rockstar was never known for a non-stereotypical over the top character.

Does it matter if its in the game? No, not really. Does customization matter? No, since personality can't be customized in GTA. The art is there to convey a character's personality and role. Nothing else.

All of the character's artwork pointed to the stereotypical cholo. Its the same no matter what game.

Does it matter how nice Niko dresses? No, he will always be an eastern European who talks about the "old country."
The more I look at that pic, the more I'm convinced your seeing something that isn't there. Why don't you point out exactly what it is about the clothes that not only make you think gang, but also make you think they are all hispanic, aside from which ever white guy is the white guy.