Tiger Woods Sex Scandal Sinks Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I'm sure once he gets back on form the sales will pick up. I don't condone what he did, but I think the media blew it way out of proportion.

aberosco

Jul 19, 2010
I would say that the actual gameplay is probably more to do with the drop in sales.. The 360/PS3 version of game was not anywhere as good as last year's version. I hated the new one and sent it back to gamefly (don't buy sport games that come out EVERY year, just stupid).

I am sure a small amount of people actually cared enough about the scandal to prevent picking up the latest version but Come on, we are talking Gamers here.. do we REALLY give a crap about Tiger Woods personal life? What other golf game are you going to get if what he did does bother you?

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Yes EA, I'm sure that's the reason no-one is buying your "released annually, barely changed, full price game"

TheEggplant

Excess Ain't Rebellion
Jul 26, 2008
I choose to believe the sales drop is because of Online Pass.
(even though I highly doubt it is)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
From everything I've heard, this is a shame. This is the best golf game yet, and I even had a grand time with the demo.

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
sport games? why buy those wheres theres the outdoors...right outdoors? :D

(although i would love to get skate 3....if i hadnt traded my ps3 for a bass guitar)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really dont see why it would affect his games so much...a game does not link to what he did...I mean, sure it has his name on it...but, ah well.

I dont play sports games anyway, so, god knows what goes through the heads of people who do

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
Not surprising, really. It's like making a game about Michael Jackson after his trial. No one would want to buy it.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
aberosco said:
I would say that the actual gameplay is probably more to do with the drop in sales.. The 360/PS3 version of game was not anywhere as good as last year's version. I hated the new one and sent it back to gamefly (don't buy sport games that come out EVERY year, just stupid).

I am sure a small amount of people actually cared enough about the scandal to prevent picking up the latest version but Come on, we are talking Gamers here.. do we REALLY give a crap about Tiger Woods personal life? What other golf game are you going to get if what he did does bother you?
I'm not 100% sure, but didn't they drop features from the previous year without adding any to take their place? If that is what happened, it's no wonder people said "screw this" and just picked up a used or clearance priced copy of '10 instead of getting a butchered game.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Virgil said:
Could one of the reasons that the sales have dropped off be that we don't need yearly releases of a golf game? This "sport" doesn't even have the excuse of having updated rosters that mean anything.
They are blaming tiger for a bunch of game defects.

I personally liked it because I've NEVER played a golf game. (Ok I did once on Sega but that was ages ago).

Most folks on the forums are pissy. Courses are broken (your ball is hit from WAY from where you land it on some courses), the DLC doesn't even have the right pars for holes, the DLC is super expensive. The item shop is geared towards making you pay for the equipment with real money (on top of buying the game) instead of earning it in game as you would have expected a year or two ago.

Those are some of the complaints I've seen. I had a good run with it and I got it for free (thanks amazon) so I personally don't have any real complaints.

The fact that people have become so vindictive against tiger woods for having a penis is beyond me. I'm still not sure how any of the stuff that has been revealed matters a hot damn to the average person, he's a golfer, that should be the only part of his life that interests people.

I figure most of it is people who have cheated themselves just trying to feel better about it by bashing on a famous guy who did. The numbers of people bitching about tiger does nicely fit in with the estimates of infidelity in the US.

I think the quote I'm looking for (not to caudle my own groin) is something I used back when Evangelical after Evangelical got caught being gay while spouting virile anti gay rhetoric. "We above all else will fight hardest against the things we ourselves are most ashamed of."

So yeah, the game is selling poorly but I think they might want to saddle up and look at the pages and pages of complaints on their own forums and how 0 of them are about Tiger being in the game :p.

Again, I liked it, I'm just referencing the forums. I ended up plopping by there when I was on the 18th hole and my ball froze in the hole (after an EAGLE :() and never went in. I held down fast forward for a good 30 minutes before giving up (sat a book on the button...I'm not THAT devoted).

Freebird. said:
Well, they could always replace him with another well known golfer.

Oh wait...
They are going to replace him with Rory, they already added the kid to the cover.

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
Correlation =! causation.

Just because Tiger is having personal troubles doesn't mean that those are the reasons that an ELEVENTH iteration of a game bearing his name is declining in sales. I tend do believe it's more that "11" thing, similar to the reasons that people don't want to buy another single-group-rockband expansion.

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
We are still in a recession. In those cases people are somewhat more careful with their money and the annual golf game would probably be the first one to go. Especially considering people probably have a couple already. In a genre where there can virtually be no innovation, not getting it one year probably won't be so bad.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
orangebandguy said:
What a tragedy.

I really don't understand the appeal of golf games.
They are really pretty fun. Its just you against yourself and the wind really, and getting good at it is pretty fun.

Also, I'm betting the slump in sales has at least SOMETHING to do with the fact Tiger Woods '10 and Tiger Woods '11 are 99% the exact same game.

CorruptCor3

May 17, 2010
Breaker deGodot" post="7.215538.7278742 said:
Not surprising, really. It's like making a game about Michael Jackson after his trial. No one would want to buy it.[/quote

Moonwalker II: White Moon

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Bollocks - like anyone actually gives a fuck that much to not buy a game they want to play.

And there's the key, isn't it? "WANT TO PLAY". Maybe people don't need a yearly update of a golf game.

At least in football you have the latest teams and whatnot to put in - what's there to change in golf?

To top all that, I hear the last few iterations have been virtually the same.