Tim Langdell Responds to EA Trademark Petition

Garrig

Mar 11, 2009
I'll top you all! I'm trademarking the letters A, E, I, O, U, Y, and the consonant T...

Pay up!

Serious note: Why hasn't the games industry just mobbed this guy already? All the hell that he offers by trademarking random words then sitting on his laurels until somebody steps on his sprawling lawn of bad ideas is possibly the worst business model I've ever seen!

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
Jindrak said:
Congratulations on making EA the good guy, Langdell, I never thought it could be done.
What about the whole Brutal Legend fiasco?
No, no, seperate incidents. We sympathise with EA in this situation against this hollow troll Langdell, but then chastise them on the other hand for everything else.

Is it just my interpretation, or "when we last left our heroes" wasn't Herr Doctor on the point of getting royally screwed by pretty much everyone? How have the US Patent Office weighed in so late and so poorly on this issue? It seems evidence was surfacing not just of his general malpractice and odious personality but that EDGE hadn't traded in years. I'm very confused and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I make an impassioned plea to one of the staff to write an opinionated column on the issue so we can make more sense of it. I understand the need of The Escapist to report impartially, but just slap a "the views of this person" caveat in the small print and let them loose. I feel that you guys, who know the industry in far greater depth than us mere mortals, can enlighten us as I'm sure you have a clearer and more informed grasp of the issue. I've tried to read around myself but it's like trying to catch smoke. We're throught the looking glass here people...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Jindrak said:
Congratulations on making EA the good guy, Langdell, I never thought it could be done.
That was Activision, who are the new EA, which means that come two years Activision will become the saintly protectors of the industry and THQ will become the next devil out to ruin everything.

It's a cycle.

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
You know all those people that got cracking to expose that guy on various blogs?
EA can easily use their work to crush him now.
Go corporate power!

It's kinda wrong, but it sure feels good.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Dahemo said:
Lord Krunk said:
Jindrak said:
No, no, seperate incidents. We sympathise with EA in this situation against this hollow troll Langdell, but then chastise them on the other hand for everything else.

Is it just my interpretation, or "when we last left our heroes" wasn't Herr Doctor on the point of getting royally screwed by pretty much everyone? How have the US Patent Office weighed in so late and so poorly on this issue? It seems evidence was surfacing not just of his general malpractice and odious personality but that EDGE hadn't traded in years. I'm very confused and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I make an impassioned plea to one of the staff to write an opinionated column on the issue so we can make more sense of it. I understand the need of The Escapist to report impartially, but just slap a "the views of this person" caveat in the small print and let them loose. I feel that you guys, who know the industry in far greater depth than us mere mortals, can enlighten us as I'm sure you have a clearer and more informed grasp of the issue. I've tried to read around myself but it's like trying to catch smoke. We're throught the looking glass here people...
Only if Shamus Young writes it.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Jindrak said:
This just paints the gray between black and white. Frankly I see EA putting up a good argument, if they follow through. If EA wins on this, hopefully it will set a precedent that stops people from trademarking words. Frankly if anybody has a right to put a trademark on words it is Webster's and Oxford.
I mean, seriously, the guy didn't create the word, it is older than he is. I think he only got the trademarks he did because those nogoods in the U.S. Patent and Trademark office are so overworked with trivial nonsense. Might be time to seriously considering putting stops on many applications. Or maybe just junk the whole thing altogether and quit wasting taxpayer money on it.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
I've not heard of this Langdell guy before, details, anyone?
You are better off in the dark, friend. The story of Langdell is just a farce of stupidity, overused power, and migraines.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
I'm sure Edge games are selling a ton of "racers" (dosen't it look just like descent circa 1995?) at 25$ a pop (plus 45$ shipping to Canada,what??) proving that they are a company that actually MAKES something instead of leeching off other's hard work.

If you look at their list of games, you can see it's 75% ZX spectrum/commodore64/Atari games...impressive.

"RACERS"? another Cutting Edge® game from EDGE® Games. The ultimate thrill in space racing! Release date Sept 9, 2009 for PC. PS3 following Fall 2009, other formats follow Winter 2009/ Spring 2010. Get the "Gamers Edge®" from The EDGE®!

Hilarious how they put the ® after every "edge"

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
I thought everyone loved Langdell... What am I missing? I mean, isn't he the guy who is making Brutal Legend?
OT: You can't trademark a piece of English, dumbfuck xD
You're thinking of Tim Schafer.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Lord Krunk said:
Jindrak said:
That was Activision.
And somehow EA ended up on the righteous side of that, too.

What the hell is this? Every thing I think I know about EA is being challenged

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
dekkarax said:
I wonder, is it possible to trademark the word "Tim Langdell"?
Hahahaha, watch a man lose the rights to his own name.

Soon he'll be forced to be called such misnomers as "Person A" or "Douchebag One."

Kinda funny watching a yappy little ***** like this try and take on a big dog like EA.
In any other case, I'd say it'd be hard to tell one evil from another, but in this case, EA having actually designed a truly innovative, landmark piece of work, I'll have to side with them over this...instead of the prick looking to leech off a buck through trademark disputes.

If EA had half a mind to dole out some litigative justice, I'd almost pity the fool.
Society says don't punt the small, irritating little bugger, but sometimes, it just needs to be done.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Commander Breetai said:
Kajin said:
This guy is full of himself.
That term has never made sense to me.

By definition, isn't everyone full of themselves?
I've often assumed that since we ARE ourselves we aren't full of ourselves. We are full of what is inside ourselves. What do you have a ton of in you? Shit. So in other words this guy is full of shit.

Mekado said:
I'm sure Edge games are selling a ton of "racers" (dosen't it look just like descent circa 1995?) at 25$ a pop (plus 45$ shipping to Canada,what??) proving that they are a company that actually MAKES something instead of leeching off other's hard work.

If you look at their list of games, you can see it's 75% ZX spectrum/commodore64/Atari games...impressive.

"RACERS"? another Cutting Edge® game from EDGE® Games. The ultimate thrill in space racing! Release date Sept 9, 2009 for PC. PS3 following Fall 2009, other formats follow Winter 2009/ Spring 2010. Get the "Gamers Edge®" from The EDGE®!

Hilarious how they put the ® after every "edge"
Also "Gamers Edge" is already trademarked I think by a gaming magazine. I seem to recall seeing it a bunch back in the day.

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
Oh my God, there's so much sleaze in this article, it's dripping from my monitor! Oh God no, it's.... it's all over my desk! There's no way that this is going to come out....

On another note, I'm amazed that this idiot isn't being hounded by Anonymous.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Wait... Uh oh, don't I feel silly.
You see, I was shopping around, looking for some Edge Games, when I saw this "Mirror's Edge" just sitting there. Well, obviously, it had the word 'Edge' in it, so I bought it.