Tiny insignificant details in games that really impressed you

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And also "not be subject to simulation sickness so you can enjoy the game without throwing up".
Half Life Alyx works fine for not being sick, the teleport movement works fantastic. Its when you do the gliding movement that things turn... upside down. At least, unless you get really used to it.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
In the original Mega Man X, the order you do the stages in matters even more than usual for a Mega Man game. Besides the bosses being weak to each other's weapons, the stages themselves will also change depending on what order you do them in, both automatically and based on you firing weapons. For instance, defeating Storm Eagle will cause his airship to crash into Spark Mandrill's power plant, reducing the number of hazardous sparks in the environment, but also making a room that was formerly dark now pitch-black except when lit up by enemies passing through it. The lava pools and waterfalls in Flame Mammoth's stage can be frozen using Chill Penguin's weapon to allow you to walk over/climb up them without being destroyed.

Worth noting: these changes are almost entirely separate from the boss weapon order, meaning there's a lot more variation in the order to play the stages in even once you know what that order is. You can also replay a completed level at any time to see what's changed, and to use those changes to reach previously unavailable heart containers and upgrade pods, which - to my knowledge - was something you couldn't do in the series before this game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
RE4R_Salazar is allergic to eggs! Hitting him with the golden egg takes out 70% of his health! It's best to stun him with a high damaging or high critical percentage weapon, and then hit with the golden egg when he is stunned. Or go for a rocket launcher to one hit kill him. If you can afford it.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
RE4R_Salazar is allergic to eggs! Hitting him with the golden egg takes out 70% of his health! It's best to stun him with a high damaging or high critical percentage weapon, and then hit with the golden egg when he is stunned. Or go for a rocket launcher to one hit kill him. If you can afford it.
You can also shoot the speakers that he uses around the castle to taunt Leon.

Reactions: BrawlMan

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
In Honkai: Star Rail, the equivalent of Genshin Impact's weapons is the 'Light Cones', which aren't visible on the character but increase their stats as well as having a special effect which can be improved by combining multiple copies of the same one. Each of the Light Cones is, visually, a card with a picture printed on it, and at the 4- and 5-star level those pictures frequently have the party members in them.

Not sure who the effect works best on? Usually a safe bet to give it to the character shown in the picture.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I really like it when in shooters, you shoot a barrel or something that is supposed to hold liquid and it spills out of the hole. Bonus points for it actually emptying, which a couple games have done, but usually its just shoot here and little spray of liquid.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I really like it when in shooters, you shoot a barrel or something that is supposed to hold liquid and it spills out of the hole. Bonus points for it actually emptying, which a couple games have done, but usually its just shoot here and little spray of liquid.
The pinnacle of that, as far as I can tell, was the fish tank in the original Splinter Cell. If you shoot it, the water will drain out to the level of the hole; shoot it a second time and it'll take into account which hole is lower, to keep going, lower again, or not lower at all.

It breaks on the third shot, though, probably because they didn't have enough processing power to handle three bullet holes.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The pinnacle of that, as far as I can tell, was the fish tank in the original Splinter Cell. If you shoot it, the water will drain out to the level of the hole; shoot it a second time and it'll take into account which hole is lower, to keep going, lower again, or not lower at all.

It breaks on the third shot, though, probably because they didn't have enough processing power to handle three bullet holes.
I think MGS2 had something like that, or maybe it was ice cubes melting in real time.

Anyways, this is pretty neat -

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

This slight eyebrow raise during the FF7Remake when Corneo picks Cloud to be his "bride-to-be". This game has so many incredibly small details that are absolutely flooring, and shows how much Square knows that they can NOT fuck this project up. This look is on screen for literally a second and still they did it. There is even off camera stuff that shows Tifa also surprised that Corneo picks Cloud over to two real girls.

To quote Cloud, "Nailed it. i know. Moving on."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Playing the Switch version of Arkanoid vs Space Invaders in portable mode automatically let's the player use touchpad controls. Allowing you to control your space ship/bar. It controls rather great and is really intuitive.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
In Honkai: Star Rail, when opening the pause menu, the camera pulls directly in front of your character and they pull out their smartphone, presumably looking at a similar menu. Every single character in the game has a unique phone design, and if you know the characters, you can see that the designs fit their personalities, not just their color schemes.

Also, if your character is facing a wall or another object that'd make it inconvenient to put the camera there, it'll look over their shoulder instead, though their screen is indistinct.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Seeing spidermens 2 trailer gave cravings to go back into Miles Morales NG+ save file, and the combat still provides occasional surprises, like when a goon I went to disarm and swing their own gun back at them from a distance apparently tried throwing a grenade, as it dropped right by their feet when the web connected to their weapon - yet the disarm move pulled them outside the grenade circle towards me, only to be hit again by their own weapon sending them flying back into their own grenade boom circle as it exploded killing uhh...tickling them unconscious mid-flight. And it being the final enemy meant it went into super slow motion too. It was so cool. So. Goddman. Cool!

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Seeing spidermens 2 trailer gave cravings to go back into Miles Morales NG+ save file, and the combat still provides occasional surprises, like when a goon I went to disarm and swing their own gun back at them from a distance apparently tried throwing a grenade, as it dropped right by their feet when the web connected to their weapon - yet the disarm move pulled them outside the grenade circle towards me, only to be hit again by their own weapon sending them flying back into their own grenade boom circle as it exploded killing uhh...tickling them unconscious mid-flight. And it being the final enemy meant it went into super slow motion too. It was so cool. So. Goddman. Cool!
That's the kind of stuff that the Share functionality was created for on PS.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
In The Talos Principle, there are several QR codes painted on the walls that contain commentary by previous challengers of the tests that you're going through, chronicling their efforts and emotions. If you scan a code with a phone's QR code reader, it'll display the same text that pops up in the game when you focus on that code - in other words, they're actual QR codes and not just mockups.