Tiny insignificant details in games that really impressed you

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In Ultra Street Fighter II, Evil Ryu and Violent Ken are new characters, and more than just pallete swaps. They both get new or modified moves, the original characters do not have. The game allows you to play with original soundtrack, original voice clips, the new voice clips (featuring the Japanese SFIV voice actors providing the battle cries and shouts), or HD-Redrawn graphics and remixed music. You can interchange between any of them. Buddy Battle is Dramatic Battle, except you're fighting boss characters only (Violent Ken, Evil Ryu, Bison, and Akuma) and both players share the same life bar. Normal and below, two human players will dominate and bully the AI. USFII also brings back custom colors. Something not seen in a fighting game since Capcom vs. SNK 2.

Street Fighter VI's World Tour Mode - You can bond with the SF cast by using their fighting styles, talking to them, and giving them gifts. The more you bond with them, the more they open up to you, and you learn their respective backstories, or what's currently going on with them. There's an upgrade (you will need that) you can get for you Custom Character where most lower level enemies won't attack you, if you're at a high level. Some will shake in their shoes or boots, some will immediately look or walk in the other direction with some pulling an innocent whistle, will beg you not to attack them or spare them, or will just straight up run away in panic and fear. This mode is basically Final Fight 4 with being in Metro City, and certain Final Fight characters returning.

When playing in Arcade or Versus, all of the characters have battle damage on them now such as bruises, scrapes, minor scratches, and dirt on them. They will have a different victory pose when winning a round, but not the entire match.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Final Fight is basic by today's standards and by the late 90s/early 2000s, there is lots to apperciate:

• The large sprite work. Enemies animate differently and have their own unique attack patterns. They're even give personalities when not fighting the heroes.
  • All three characters play and look completely different from each other, and have their own special abilities. Unlike Double Dragon and its many clones, the characters aren't all palette swaps of each other.
  • Metro City is given life. In later stages, you see actual citizen in the background either doing their own thing, or cheering at the fights taking place. Once again, unlike DD and its clones, you're not just walking through barren streets, wastelands, or abandoned factories.
  • Each final boss is different aside from Abigail, a head swap of Andore.
  • The game has about three weapons the player can use. Four, if you're throwing the Molotov Hollywoods', or know how to manipulate their spawns. Each hero wields weapons different at speeds or strengths.
  • Haggar being the first playable grappler/wrestler character in a brawler.
  • The first elevator action sequence in a brawler.
  • The early connections to Street Fighter. Reminder: SFII wasn't even in development yet.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
The NPCs in Sonic Unleashed all go through mini-arcs, moving from place to place as both the main story progresses and you talk to them multiple times. Mostly they just build up detail about the world and the cities rather than relating directly to the game, but I think it adds a great layer to things, giving you reasons to revisit each area other than just to do extra levels and collect medals.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Good times....

No Sonic game ever done something like this again to get the player hyped for the finale.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
In Super/Ultra Street Fighter 4, there are two bonus stages which replicate those from the original Street Fighter 2, with the car and the barrels. Normally, in the car stage, there's an NPC in the background excitedly taking photos of your character destroying the car. However, if you pick any of the characters originally from Final Fight (Guy, Cody, Rolento, Hugo, Poison), this NPC will be absent; if you successfully destroy the car, then Bred will appear and say 'Oh! My car', just like the very first car bonus stage in Final Fight.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In Super/Ultra Street Fighter 4, there are two bonus stages which replicate those from the original Street Fighter 2, with the car and the barrels. Normally, in the car stage, there's an NPC in the background excitedly taking photos of your character destroying the car. However, if you pick any of the characters originally from Final Fight (Guy, Cody, Rolento, Hugo, Poison), this NPC will be absent; if you successfully destroy the car, then Bred will appear and say 'Oh! My car', just like the very first car bonus stage in Final Fight.
I was just thinking about this earlier this afternoon. The first time I saw this in SSIV, I lost my shit! Though in the original arcade version, Japanese SNES, Mega CD, and Japanese GBA, it's "Oh, my God!".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In Double Dragon IV, you get the option of an 8-bit ost or to sound more like an SNES sound system. Though I have not played DD Gaiden yet, I noticed in some gameplay videos that they're already borrowing songs from DDIV and giving them cool remixes. It's nice to see DDIV gets some love.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I normally don't like Tekken much, but I have to admit that having unique throw break animations for every techable throw in the game, and that isn't a small number, is impressive.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

I know this is "just a mod" but I was so impressed by the animation and attention to detail with the characters in this mod. To quote myself in the comments of the video.

The body language for Boy and Girl is fantastic. Like when they sing Power-Hour, the way Boy is leaning onto the bed on his arm and how Girl leans forward, and their expressions, they both convey SO MUCH personality. And then when there's that brief pause and Boy cracks his neck and Girl smooths her dress. Fantastic!

Reactions: Absent

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

I know this is "just a mod" but I was so impressed by the animation and attention to detail with the characters in this mod. To quote myself in the comments of the video.
I watched the whole thing I don't get it, though. What is supposed to be taking place here? Nice music, though.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I watched the whole thing I don't get it, though. What is supposed to be taking place here? Nice music, though.
I think Boyfriend is supposed to be a little kid in this mod and he's being scared by nightmares when Boy and Girl show up and make him feel better so he can go to sleep. Whether Boy and Girl are real or beings of his imagination is up for interpretation.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I think Boyfriend is supposed to be a little kid in this mod and he's being scared by nightmares when Boy and Girl show up and make him feel better so he can go to sleep. Whether Boy and Girl are real or beings of his imagination is up for interpretation.
Oh, it seemed more like they were having some kind of music battle in the kid's bedroom for some reason. And what's with Boy's head and why does he have two sets of teeth?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Several in Double Dragon Gaiden:

• Each stage you go through after the first choice gets more elaborate the further you go. So no playthrough is always the same. Mini bosses are randomized, and you will never know when you're going to fight someone like Burnov, Abobo, Linda, or Chin, because they're hired mercenaries.
  • Whatever stage you choose last, the final boss changes forms, gets different mooks backing them up, and will get a defense boost.
  • Every character has their unique supers and special abilities. Billy Lee primarily uses kicks, while Jimmy Lee mainly uses punches, uppercuts, palm strikes, and elbow strikes.
  • Lady Okada - Has a Japanese last name, but is clearly not Japanese. The reason is because she is white, and married a Japanese Yakuza leader, Sir Okada. Once he died, she took up the mantle and her sect of the Okada clan are 100% loyal to her, because they treat her with the same respect as her husband. The elders from the Okada clan don't like her, because a woman and someone of non-Japanese descent. This all stated in her bio, if you buy and unlock her as a playable character. It's also stated, that Shannon and Casey Okada (the same from DDIV) are her daughters. They go unseen and are at least implied to be kids or teenagers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This is a sort of impressed at the audacity than any kind of achievement but in Pokémon Scarlet, the headmaster of Not!Hogwarts follows you around on one of the three critical paths under the “disguise” of a student named Clive. Like this guy is a white haired and staid obviously old man. And his disguise primarily consists of a uniform, different glasses and a pompadour hair-do.

I’m impressed as fuck with this guy’s chutzpah. A disguise that wouldn’t fool Inspector Gadget and he still maintains the lie until the last minute.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Isaac has many interactions and reactions to certain environments. He can get out of breath after stomping a corpse for too long. He'll put his arms in front of his hands, if around open flames and grunt. His dialogue or reactions start changing, depending on his health condition, or in NG+, when you collect enough marker pieces or all of them.

The Ishamura has impressive sound effects and audio direction. Screams of victims and necros are randomized in the background. You will two different versions of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star throughout the game. Sometimes when in certain parts of the ship with no music, you'll whispers of random words, and sometimes the voices will say Isaac's name. Motive Studio went all out on this and staying true to the original, while adding in new content, context, and story.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Been playing Blasphemous (Will share my feelings in What Are You Playing thread) and eventually you can unlock a ranged ability that costs Fervor (magic basically) to use. Now this ability comes with an extra mechanic that I initially didn't think much of.

If you hold down the button for this ranged attack then you will instead cut yourself with your sword and lose a little HP. Now at first I thought this was just a throwaway mechanic to solve one puzzle in the game but then I realized that when I do that I generate Fervor. The way you normally generate Fervor is by attacking enemies with your sword, so this mechanic of cutting yourself is basically the same as if you cut an enemy, you're just... using it on yourself. That's a cool bit of consistency in game mechanics.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
In Mortal Kombat 1, whenever Kitana does a Brutality, she poses with her fans...with one exception. If you do the Brutality involving her Fan Toss special move, she does the same pose, but this time with only one fan, since the other is embedded into the skull of her opponent.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Double Dragon Gaiden - Only Grappler Slow Heavy characters can pick up explosive barrels. I didn't notice this until my 6th playthrough.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Void Stranger, if you quit scum eventually the game puts you on trial and your punishment is essentially that you are forced to quit scum for the rest of the game unless you give up and restart. Every floor your extra lives tick down until they reach zero and then you will be constantly one mistake away from death. It's nice when a game puts in the effort to keep the player honest.