Tiny insignificant details in games that really impressed you

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I just found this one out.

In Battlefield 4, if you use the Duckbill choke on a shotgun, your shot spreads horizontally.

If you use the Canted Ironsights, you tilt your gun at a 45-degree angle to aim.

If you use both at the same time, your shot spreads diagonally.

Im actually quite impressed that the game actually tilts the gun, and it isn't completely cosmetic.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did a couple rounds of Ninja Saviors and noticed something interesting when you unlock the Arcade and SNES soundtrack. Specifically the latter. When you put the soundtrack on Again (SNES ver. of Ninja Warriors) everything has the 16-bit sound effects and soundtrack. Nothing is redone on that track. You truly get experience the remake in different ways. I love the added details to the background. Many parts of the background can be destroyed by you and Banglar's army. Sometimes certain items in the background can harm you and the enemies too.The environmental damage makes the levels more real, even though I'm playing a single-plane brawler. The backgrounds themselves tell story with all the damage they've taken. You can tell a battle happened in some areas with either bullet holes or blood stained in certain sections of the city. The resistance are on their last legs, and these robot ninjas are their salvation to assassinating Banglar and his dictatorship! Only for Mulk to be the new dictator with more deadly weapons, robots, and war machines! Full circle revolutions are a biatch!

The robot ninjas and the bad guys themselves get new animations and extra details to their idol animations to make them more dynamic than their SNES counterparts.

Bot Vice has neat animations for Erin and the bad guys she's fighting. When bosses are near death (the one's that can talk), they sound more desperate or put up a false bravado. When Erin is at low health, she has animation of fatigue. Whenever she's ducking in cover, she's has panicking look on her face, telling that even with her brave front, she gets scared like any other person. It does not matter she's an ex-cop that is partially cyborg; Erin is human or humanoid like everyone else. Don't forget, it's her alone, taking on a goddamn army of a crime syndicate.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
When the game has someone playing an instrument, and they at least make SOME effort to have the body movements match the actual song. I noticed this with Haven, when the female character gets a guitar, and plays it for her lover. And while I am not a musician, I am familiar with how the hands move along the neck of a guitar, thanks to many relatives and friends playing guitars around me. So while I can't say she was fingering properly for the various chords and stuff, each time the music changed, they took the time to animate out a fully altered hand/finger placement. And it seemed to match up fairly well. Like when the notes were getting higher pitch, she usually went further down the neck toward the base, lower notes were farther up toward the head. Each finger would switch positions, and be individually placed, and it would change each time.

So kudos to them, most games can't even be arsed to make their hand on the neck move.

I've yet to see anyone, outside of a Rock Band game, accurately render a drummer going off on a set. But I live in hope for that to happen one day.

I know people have posted clips from RDR2 and CP2077 of the characters playing songs, but I can't recall anyone commenting about the accuracy of the finger placement for the various notes/chords.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
When the game has someone playing an instrument, and they at least make SOME effort to have the body movements match the actual song. I noticed this with Haven, when the female character gets a guitar, and plays it for her lover. And while I am not a musician, I am familiar with how the hands move along the neck of a guitar, thanks to many relatives and friends playing guitars around me. So while I can't say she was fingering properly for the various chords and stuff, each time the music changed, they took the time to animate out a fully altered hand/finger placement. And it seemed to match up fairly well. Like when the notes were getting higher pitch, she usually went further down the neck toward the base, lower notes were farther up toward the head. Each finger would switch positions, and be individually placed, and it would change each time.

So kudos to them, most games can't even be arsed to make their hand on the neck move.

I've yet to see anyone, outside of a Rock Band game, accurately render a drummer going off on a set. But I live in hope for that to happen one day.

I know people have posted clips from RDR2 and CP2077 of the characters playing songs, but I can't recall anyone commenting about the accuracy of the finger placement for the various notes/chords.

AFAIK both of those still only use generic animation loops, even for the instruments you can play in RD Online. I doubt Cyberpunk was any better judging by how sloppy the rest of the game was (still is?). Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Basically though it’s highly unlikely anything holds a candle to this -

Also is probably the most creative use of the touchpad to date.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
AFAIK both of those still only use generic animation loops, even for the instruments you can play in RD Online. I doubt Cyberpunk was any better judging by how sloppy the rest of the game was (still is?). Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Basically though it’s highly unlikely anything holds a candle to this -

Also is probably the most creative use of the touchpad to date.
That finger placement looks pretty accurate. Considering they went as far as to actually name the various notes in that system, I'd be surprised if they didn't also take the time to accurately replicate the fingering. So, kudos to them on that. They might be the only game so far to put that much effort into it.

Sure it's a tiny thing but...well that's the theme of this thread so. xD

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Resident Evil 8 has different animations for reloading handguns with half-empty magazines and completely empty magazines. If there's bullets left, Ethan reloads a bit more slowly and carefully to hang onto the bullets, justifying how you keep the bullets in a half-empty magazine in a way that most shooters don't. Admittedly he doesn't do this for the sniper rifle, but it's still neat to see even just to the extent it's there.

Also, when he uses a First Aid Med in a cutscene, you're fully healed in gameplay afterwards as well.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
In the Mass Effect Legendary Edition, one of the graphical improvements is dirt on the scope of the sniper rifle. Just a tiny thing, wouldn't notice it if it was missing, but having it there adds just a little bit more immersiveness.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Resident Evil 8 has different animations for reloading handguns with half-empty magazines and completely empty magazines. If there's bullets left, Ethan reloads a bit more slowly and carefully to hang onto the bullets, justifying how you keep the bullets in a half-empty magazine in a way that most shooters don't. Admittedly he doesn't do this for the sniper rifle, but it's still neat to see even just to the extent it's there.
Im pretty sure that in Escape from Tarkov (im not totally sure - i've never played it), there are two kinds of reloads. You can either take the magazine out, and put it back in your ammo reserves, or you can just drop the magazine on the floor, for a slightly faster reload.

I think that is pretty cool.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Im pretty sure that in Escape from Tarkov (im not totally sure - i've never played it), there are two kinds of reloads. You can either take the magazine out, and put it back in your ammo reserves, or you can just drop the magazine on the floor, for a slightly faster reload.
This is true, and as you then need to go and find that magazine if you want it back (and good luck finding a small black rectangular object in the deep grass), and you can't just grab a magazine from another weapon and make it work, nobody with any experience drops their mags except by accident.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
In Kingdom Hearts 2 HD in the Timeless River level, the old school, black n' white cartoon themed one, if you're playing the game with a surround sound set-up you can hear the sound of a projector behind you as if you're sitting in an old movie theater. As much as Kingdom Hearts kinda blows, that's the coolest fucking thing I think I've ever experienced in a game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
In Kingdom Hearts 2 HD in the Timeless River level, the old school, black n' white cartoon themed one, if you're playing the game with a surround sound set-up you can hear the sound of a projector behind you as if you're sitting in an old movie theater. As much as Kingdom Hearts kinda blows, that's the coolest fucking thing I think I've ever experienced in a game.

I’d imagine the effect is even better when playing on an actual projector with surround headphones to block out the ambient noise of the actual projector so you only hear the one in-game.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
In INSIDE, one of the early-game puzzles involves a bunch of cute little baby chickens. They swarm around your feet, peeping in an very endearing manner, then you learn that a part of the puzzle involves sucking those chicks into a piece of farm equipment and ejecting them into a lofted bale of hay so that it falls and you can use it as a step. Most people are mortified thinking the chicks will die, and are relieved when they see that they survive the ordeal and swarm at your feet again... well, most of them; if you notice, one of them isn't moving anymore because Playdead just had to get that little soul punch in there.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This DF video should have everything covered. I love the level map in this game.

DmC (2013) has a gameplay mechanic where the higher your style meter is, the faster Dante gets. Enemies are more likely to attack him and more aggressively when at a higher style ranking. There is a neat little detail where if you use his Angel Boost near a wall, Dante will actually slide his hand on the wall. There is some additional or alternative dialogue that happens depending on what your style ranking was when completing a fight or if Dante got hit. Dante's fighting style is sluggish and unrefined compared to original Dante and Nero. DmC!Dante will some times slight trip over himself when using the Rebellion Swords combos. When doing a Demon Kick, the camera will do a hit stop and zoom in on Dante kicking said demon. The same applies to Angel Uppercut minus the zooming in part though.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Currently on the Horizon hype train due to the new Forbidden West gameplay, but never noticed this about the original-

The mind boggles at what details await in the sequel.
I'm of a mixed mind on those things. I like that someone put that much care and attention into the details, as that's usually a mark of a quality team that is really putting in effort. But, it's also something I just never pay attention to. Some details I'll notice, but things like puddle evaporation, I'll usually just skim over.

OT: When games that have a fast travel system, but still consider real world effects/time, instead of giving you an instant, time traveling system. Games like Days Gone, where the fast travel just saves YOU, the person, play time, but the MC, is still using up time/fuel while traveling. And, you have to establish a safe route first, BEFORE fast travel opens. It's not just "discover Point A and B, and now you can fast travel between them." Nope, since he's a biker, you will be traveling on the roads, so you have to destroy all the pockets of danger along the road between A & B, before fast travel is considered. And, if you don't have enough fuel, it won't let you travel the whole way. So then you might have to detour to somewhere close to your objective, but not exactly there.

It's a nice detail that I enjoyed.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Even two and a half years later people are finding different conversations.

Up until now I hadn’t thought Dutch was truly capable of feeling guilt, remorse or humility.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
This line of dialogue that you just come by on in Mass Effect 2 was great. You just kind of ease drop on it but man there is a story there and it makes really think about the lore and established biology established in the series and how it relates to the whole universe. Like this makes a game fill alive and lived in. Like while I am off trying to kill robo cuddlefish this guy is trying to comtemplate being one foot in the grave and his wife and daughter are going to live triple his life time and he just wants to be part of their memories. I would read a whole little novella of this relationship just from this dialogue chain.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
This line of dialogue that you just come by on in Mass Effect 2 was great. You just kind of ease drop on it but man there is a story there and it makes really think about the lore and established biology established in the series and how it relates to the whole universe. Like this makes a game fill alive and lived in. Like while I am off trying to kill robo cuddlefish this guy is trying to comtemplate being one foot in the grave and his wife and daughter are going to live triple his life time and he just wants to be part of their memories. I would read a whole little novella of this relationship just from this dialogue chain.
I've been binging clips like this ever since the Legendary Edition dropped. The side story about Joker's sister is so well hidden and terrifying.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

"Oh blue rose of Illium".

I'm still salty as fuck I couldn't save that big hearted Krogan boi.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Yeah, I think one of my favorites, is pretty famous from the franchise, but it just felt so wonderful to come across it.

Just the fact that it says so much in the unspoken bits. How a lot of people, even at that point, don't grasp how spatial mechanics work, so you have to repeat it to them. How you will ALWAYS get gung ho jackasses who join the military to be holywood badasses, and how you have to put them in check. And that the destructive power of the weaponry at that scale, is catastrophic. Plus the drill sergeant's tone of annoyance and dismissal is just priceless.