Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Hades.
At after a certain point of the game you gain the ability to add challenge modifiers to your runs, one of which is a timer where you have 9 minutes to complete each biome (extra time rolls over to the next biome).
They made it so the time isn't on for everything. Choices for boons don't eat time but also stopping to fish doesn't use time, the first room for each biome doesn't use time, the character rooms (one of which has someone singing a song) don't use time and once you beat a boss the timer stops. It's just such a player friendly timer and doesn't force you to skip over stuff that you might want to stop for.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Hades.
At after a certain point of the game you gain the ability to add challenge modifiers to your runs, one of which is a timer where you have 9 minutes to complete each biome (extra time rolls over to the next biome).
They made it so the time isn't on for everything. Choices for boons don't eat time but also stopping to fish doesn't use time, the first room for each biome doesn't use time, the character rooms (one of which has someone singing a song) don't use time and once you beat a boss the timer stops. It's just such a player friendly timer and doesn't force you to skip over stuff that you might want to stop for.
Yeah I remember liking that feature as well. It was mostly just a combat timer. The rest of the non-combat stuff you could engage with at a relaxed pace without fear of missing stuff.

On that note with Hades, I liked how Hades himself would react if you used powers from other significant characters from the cast, and he would comment. If you used the godly boons, he would remark "I see my sister has decided to aid you whelp!" or similar. But I think the ones that amused me the most, is if you used the powers that let you summon the other employees of Hades, how even THEY would comment like "Sorry boss! Please don't torment me forever! Just obeying the rules of this item!" And Hades might say "This won't reflect well on your quarterly review!" It just made it feel very lived in and filled out

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The amount of ambient atmosphere and sounds in RE2 & RE3 originals. Scared the shit out of me as a kid. Had nightmares with zombies and other monsters in Downtown Detroit for nearly 2 weeks.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How much the Y Twins take after their father, Mr. X. Mr. Y has his father's gun ho attitude, manic laughter, and uses a machine and rocket launcher. Instead of the semi-assault rifle or Tommy Gun. The smug, top dog, attitude. Ms. Y has a similar attitude, but sees herself as a Queen, and is even more sneering and domineering. Cold, rarely smiles, outside of a slight smirk on her idle stance. Slouches in a chair like her daddy. The only difference is she uses a rapier and is more willing to get her hands dirty. With that said, both spoiled brats that think they deserve everything. Not too different from their father, but Mr. X at least had some air of charisma.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
In Nier Automata there are so many little weapon attack details that are just fun to watch. Like when you use a heavy weapon and 2B spikes it into the ground then you keep attacking with a light the heavy stays there a moment till its teleported to her back. Most games would just have the weapon appear back on her... back, but Automita goes the extra mile to add in extra details like that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The HUD/menu in Ghost of Tsushima is not only thematically consistent with the setting, but also weirdly relaxing as the sound of paper being papered about is uniquely soft on the ears and very disarming. Perhaps I was raised in a 70's tax returns office through early childhood.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I’ve seen it but never knew the meaning behind it -
Nearly three years later and still finding out new details of this game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If you have the save file for NMH1 & 2 on your Switch, you get Travis's default shirts from both games. Beating the game once nets you all of his jackets from the past games and will be unlocked for NG+.

In NMH3, Travis's Beat Katana is morphing weapon that is a combination of all his swords from the previous games. The basic structure and function of the Blood Berry, the multiple rotating sub-blades of the Tsubaki MK-II, and the extended red blade of the Peony during Deathblows. No Rose Nasty, but that would have been harder to implement since it's two weapons. Another unique feature is that Travis no longer has bare fist melee attacks, but can grab a non-stunned opponent as long he is behind him or her.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hedon has some really cool details that I love. For instance, you will occasionally find allies that will follow you around and help you fight. Now this isn't unusual but this is a game running on the gzdoom engine. Now even with that this isn't that unusual since we have all seen allies in Brutal Doom, but your allies in this will talk to you, like they will talk about areas that your in or even to other allies. Plus if you make it past story points where you lose your allies with them alive they will hang out and hold a point or wait for you and may still join you later on. Its so neat.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Forget shrinking horse nads -

What is the white foam on horses?

1632447727636.jpeg
White, foamy sweat is a by-product of over-strenuous work or being exercised in excessive heat. ... While a small amount of white sweat can be present between the hind legs, on the neck by the reins or any other place where friction may occur, excessive white foam is a sign the horse is being over-worked.

Why do horses sweat white foam?

A horse's sweat can appear lathery or foamy because it contains latherin, a substance not found in human perspiration. Latherin reduces the surface tension of water and aids moisture in moving away from the skin to the surface of the horse's coat.

I’ll keep that in mind.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I’ve put hundreds of hours into this game and still see different examples of incidental, context-sensitive details that are easy to miss depending on what you do -

Hosea, using nothing but tone and sharp wit, completely shuts down some locals that happen upon one of the camps -

Reactions: IrisEdgeStudios

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos has a move (press [SQR] + [X]) dedicated to stomping zombies and monsters lying on the ground. There's even a quest and achievement for killing a certain amount this way. All of the ladies have different vocal reactions when you gain certain rankings at the end of each verse that reflfects their personalities. Kagura is prone to cursing the most in almost all of her reactions.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
In Umetal when you get shot, you bleed, and you'll start leaving blood on the floor of the room you're in, which can be a small pool of blood or drops of blood depending on how fast you're moving. The bleeding will stop when you use a bandage or first aid kit on yourself but the blood will remain, at least until you exit and return to the room.

On a similar note, whenever you fire your handgun, a shell casing will fly out and land on the floor and remain visible. Some boss battles also leave blast marks on the floor where hit by missles and grenades.

This is particularly noticeable after a boss fight where the floor will likely be covered in little pixelated bullet casings and blood. It doesn't affect anything, it's just a cool little detail

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
In Umetal when you get shot, you bleed, and you'll start leaving blood on the floor of the room you're in, which can be a small pool of blood or drops of blood depending on how fast you're moving. The bleeding will stop when you use a bandage or first aid kit on yourself but the blood will remain, at least until you exit and return to the room.

On a similar note, whenever you fire your handgun, a shell casing will fly out and land on the floor and remain visible. Some boss battles also leave blast marks on the floor where hit by missles and grenades.

This is particularly noticeable after a boss fight where the floor will likely be covered in little pixelated bullet casings and blood. It doesn't affect anything, it's just a cool little detail
I remember the first time I saw terrain destruction in a game. It was Cybernator on the SNES, if you shot the ground it would look damaged, it was the first time I saw that on almost every surface and I spent a lot of time shooting every single surface I could to a make it look damaged.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

There is a reason why Evil Within 2 and RE2Remake are my favorite horror games of the 8th generation. EW2 has all of these optional side quest and content that don't feel bloated or unnecessary for the most part. Doing them grants you rewards in either weapons, lore, character development, hidden plot details, or hints to upcoming plot points or twists. This game has the right balance of tone and atmosphere. This game is a better Resident Evil game than RE4-8 for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Undertale so much:

-At the very start you get a snowball from a snowman that can either be used as a healing item or can waste an inventory slot for the entire game after which the snowman will be very appreciative that you carried it for so long.

-Near the start of the game you are given instructions for a ridiculous colored tile puzzle which is aborted in a joke sequence. Later in the game, in another joke sequence you are put through a much longer version of the same puzzle with a 30 second time limit without being reminded of the instructions. You can actually complete the puzzle for alternate dialogue.

-Throughout the game you will see bits of cheese in various ridiculous unobtainable states with a nearby mousehole, and a nearby save point will inform you that knowing that the mouse may one day somehow get the cheese fills you with determination. Well after you get the true end you can walk back through the entire game and if you examine the cheeses again you find that, yes, the mouse did somehow get the cheese.

-In the very first area of the game you can buy a doughnut from a spiderweb, if you keep that for most of the game and use it during a boss fight with a spider near the end of the game the fight will end instantly and the spider will apologize for misjudging you.

I could go on and on with the little things the game pays attention to that cause minor effects. It's what sets the game apart from other RPGs.