Tipping

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
There's something that's always baffled me: Tipping.

See, living in England I've never really seen it in action, the only time was when it came to watching the telly and it'd be some American sitcom and they'd tip the pizza delivery guy or a waitress at a restaurant and I always found it odd.

So let me just ask a few question and maybe you can help me get my head around it.

1. Do you tip?
2. If yes, why and how much?
3. Do you see the point in tipping?

EDIT

I've heard that a few services now expect tips (aside from waitressing or delivering food). What do you think about other services getting tips?

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
1. Yes but only if the waitress/waiter gives good service.

2. Depends on the service.

3. I see it as a way of rewarding the server for being competent in their job.

Aug 17, 2010
NOTE: It's [/ b] Like that, just get rid of the spaces.

And.

1.Yes
2.Usually 5%
3.Cause the waitress and delivery guy get to keep that money for themselves, and if they have a job like that, you know they need it.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
I would tip, if ordered in food wasn't so expensive that if I had to factor in any more money at all I'd simply be unable to buy it.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
1. Depends on the service, but generally yes.
2. Great service - 15%, good service - ~10%, less than good service - 0%
3. Yeah, kinda.

I thought about mentioning Reservoir Dogs' famous tipping scene, but I decided not to. Oh wait...

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
It's considered extremely rude to not tip. In fact, waiters/waitresses are paid less than minimum wage since tips make up a large degree of their income. So yeah, I tip.

10zack986

Dec 5, 2009
1. Yes
2. Depends on service provided and quality of service.
3. Yes you ungrateful bastard, there is a point in tipping. These people are usually getting crap pay, so the least you can do is leave an extra 3 dollars on the table so they don't kill themselves later that night.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Agent51 said:
NOTE: It's [/ b] Like that, just get rid of the spaces.

And.

1.Yes
2.Usually 5%
3.Cause the waitress and delivery guy get to keep that money for themselves, and if they have a job like that, you know they need it.

Yeah I ballsed up on the boldness -_- It happens.

So let me ask another question:

1. Does say, a pizza place, also charge a delivery fee?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
*Gasp* You don't tip?! No wonder your country has no morals.
Your homework is to tip at least 20% on all your deliveries done in a timely manner for the rest of your life.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.88037-Keep-the-change#1338439

Aleate

Mar 24, 2009
I try and tip... I always almost feel bad tipping if they really aren't doing their job, but I usually give them maybe... idk about 5% if they are bad, 10% if they are average, and about 15-18% if they are great. And the point of tipping is because companies don't want to pay their employees more for being good while doing their serving job, so they leave it up to the customer if they are doing their job correctly or well and they will get an extra bit of cash, and if they don't they get their just deserts.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
So I've heard, tipping is to make up for the food industry being exempt from minimum wage restrictions, so your tips make it so that the waiter/delivery person can make the same as other minimum wage people.

Of course the food industry had its minimum wage restrictions rescinded because waiters/delivery people were making minimum wage then tips on top and the managers wanted to save money while still providing a 'livable' salary for their staff. Money grubbers.

This is an outsider looking in, so I'm not going to claim my theory as fact. There's no real tipping culture over here, they're just nice perks you receive occasionally.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Not tipping is considered very out of the ordinary and quite rude here in America. Most people who take tips (all the food servers) make their salary off of them. It's sad but true. In fact, if your job takes tips, you can be paid UNDER minimum wage. So be courteous and add that extra 20% you cheap bastard.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
1) Yes, always. At least 20% of the bill. More if they're exceptionally good at their job.

2) It depends on the level of service and the amount of the bill. I always leave at least 20%. I see people leaving small or no tips if they didn't like the food. That isn't the waitstaff's fault!

3) Of course there's a point. Servers make something between $1-$3 per hour. That's nothing. Their lives depend on tips. If you aren't going to tip, get your own damn food and drinks.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Souplex said:
*Gasp* You don't tip?! No wonder your country has no morals.
Your homework is to tip at least 20% on all your deliveries done in a timely manner for the rest of your life.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.88037-Keep-the-change#1338439
Mezmer said:
Not tipping is considered very out of the ordinary and quite rude here in America. Most people who take tips (all the food servers) make their salary off of them. It's sad but true. In fact, if your job takes tips, you can be paid UNDER minimum wage. So be courteous and add that extra 20% you cheap bastard.
It's not like I've made a point in not tipping. It's just not something anyone I've seen do over here in England. A waiter brings our food (his job) and then we pay and leave. The pizza guy brings me my pizza, I pay for my pizza and he leaves. As far as I'm concerned, a 'Thank you' is plenty enough for them doing their job. This being said, the minumum wage here and there must be a significant difference...

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
1)Yes normally.

2) Generally I tip at least some spare change or round up to the nearest $10 bill amount and let them keep the change. Only don't tip if they've sucked at their job, if I have to wait 20 minutes for a refill on a drink and the place isn't even packed, don't expect much.

3) The system is set up that way so you seem rude if you don't. If I'm ordering pizza and there is a delivery charge, and a big chain one, then that's your tip imo.

johnsom

May 28, 2009
yea, I don't know how this got started always seemed strange to me. Maybe it had something to do with what might end up in their food if they didnt.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
So I've heard, tipping is to make up for the food industry being exempt from minimum wage restrictions, so your tips make it so that the waiter/delivery person can make the same as other minimum wage people.

Of course the food industry had its minimum wage restrictions rescinded because waiters/delivery people were making minimum wage then tips on top and the managers wanted to save money while still providing a 'livable' salary for their staff. Money grubbers.

This is an outsider looking in, so I'm not going to claim my theory as fact. There's no real tipping culture over here, they're just nice perks you receive occasionally.
Waitstaff and other tip workers aren't exempt from minimum wage laws. If their earnings and tips don't accumulate to minimum wage, the employer is required by law to absorb the difference. However, many people are unaware of this and taken advantage of by unscrupulous employers.

I usually tip in accordance with local customs. In the U.S. it's 15%ish for average service. I think the other systems of higher pay without the expectancy of a tip are preferable.