Tipping

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
It all depends on how quick my food comes/how much they do. I tip a minimum of £5 anyway, and this goes up with how much I think they deserve.

photog212

Oct 27, 2008
I am always shocked to see how cheap and...well...selfish people are when it comes to tipping.

1. I always tip.
2. Minimum of 20%
3. Yes I see the point in tipping. Not only are you paying someone for a service but you get better service if you tip.

People you are supposed to tip:
Waiter/Waitress
Cab driver
Bar tender
Bell hop
Hair dresser
Valet
Matre D' (occasionally)
Concierge
Delivery people
People who bag your groceries
People who carry things to your car
Strippers
People who make your coffee (depending on place)
Coat check
Tattoo Artists (in some cases)
Sommelier
Restroom Attendant
Musicians (case by case)

And many others. Stop being so cheap you selfish bastards!

Bluesclues

Dec 18, 2009
XT inc said:
I dunno I am a logical being and I see tipping as a screwed up system. You buy yourself a big ass meal with you and your friends where customs dictate you pay say 20 bucks. Now less than minimal wage aside its hard to justify. I mean you already pay the extreme prices on food and then you have to tip.

The issue is that it isn't worth 20 dollars to deliver food and drinks to my table over the course of my meal. how much work was put in all in all 10 minutes? of picking up and delivering plates. I have to bust my ass for wages and these guys get 20 bucks because they did a sum total of 10 minutes of light servitude oh hell no.
You clearly do not understand the food service industry. Light servitude is a massive understatement, and I would know, I used to be a busboy at a semi-popular restaurant in my county (and yes I meant county, not country). Also, here's something that most people aren't aware of: Those tips you refuse to give? A waiter (assuming the restaurant has a need for busboys)has to split them at the end of the night with their designated busboy(s). And as mentioned before, waiters and busboys make below minimum wage in the U.S., so they rely heavily on tips for their income. You also need to keep in mind that rarely does a waiter/busboy work a regular 40 hour week like most other people would. Only in large or popular restaurants do waiters make above minimum wage...and only waiters. I myself only made $4.30/hr when I worked as a busboy. Minimum wage at the time was $6.15/hr I believe.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I hate to be the snooty Englishman here (totally bullshitting you, I love it) but I've never actually been to a resturant where the service isn't top notch and they've never expected anything more than my thanks and a compliment to their speedy service. Seriously, the last time I went to Franky and Benny's, the waiter was so chuffed that I even thanked him.

I had no idea that these jobs were so different over there. I've never met a waiter who depends on his job to stay afloat in the world. Most of them are kids my age just looking for some extra cash while they go through college and university.

It's a big world huh?

photog212

Oct 27, 2008
There seems to be some misconception about what a waiters job is, so:
A waiters JOB is to take your order, THAT IS IT.

Not bring it to you. Not bring you drinks. Not bring you a menu. Not take your plates. Not bring you desert menu. Not refill your drinks. Not make sure your meal is satisfactory. Not give you silverware. Nothing, except to take your order. Everything else is EXTRA, hence the tip!!!

This is why you tip a waiter but not the person taking your order at McDonalds. You don't tip them for taking your order, you tip them for everything else.

And, if you can't afford the tip, then don't go to the fucking restaurant and expect a service for free.

And, I guarantee that most wait staff work harder then most people on here talking about how easy being a server is.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Azure-Supernova said:
There's something that's always baffled me: Tipping.

See, living in England I've never really seen it in action, the only time was when it came to watching the telly and it'd be some American sitcom and they'd tip the pizza delivery guy or a waitress at a restaurant and I always found it odd.

So let me just ask a few question and maybe you can help me get my head around it.

1. Do you tip?
2. If yes, why and how much?
3. Do you see the point in tipping?

EDIT

I've heard that a few services now expect tips (aside from waitressing or delivering food). What do you think about other services getting tips?
Hoi! I live in England too, don't make us seem like stingy nobs.

Yes I tip, unless the service has been so bad that it doesn't merit it, and the standard is 10% although restaurants usually try and eke it up to 12.5%-15% in London to try and wring more cash out of the customer (which, of course, is never actually given to the staff).

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
BGH122 said:
Azure-Supernova said:
There's something that's always baffled me: Tipping.

See, living in England I've never really seen it in action, the only time was when it came to watching the telly and it'd be some American sitcom and they'd tip the pizza delivery guy or a waitress at a restaurant and I always found it odd.

So let me just ask a few question and maybe you can help me get my head around it.

1. Do you tip?
2. If yes, why and how much?
3. Do you see the point in tipping?

EDIT

I've heard that a few services now expect tips (aside from waitressing or delivering food). What do you think about other services getting tips?
Hoi! I live in England too, don't make us seem like stingy nobs.

Yes I tip, unless the service has been so bad that it doesn't merit it, and the standard is 10% although restaurants usually try and eke it up to 12.5%-15% in London to try and wring more cash out of the customer (which, of course, is never actually given to the staff).
It's not like I'm trying on purpose >.> It's just not a custom where I'm from specifically. London I can maybe understand a bit more... pretentious Londoners *shakes fist*

(that is totally a joke)

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Azure-Supernova said:
It's not like I'm trying on purpose >.> It's just not a custom where I'm from specifically. London I can maybe understand a bit more... pretentious Londoners *shakes fist*

(that is totally a joke)
Haha! London is very varied in wealth and pretense, but one thing remains true of all of it: we're overcharged by everything.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
BGH122 said:
Azure-Supernova said:

(that is totally a joke)
Haha! London is very varied in wealth and pretense, but one thing remains true of all of it: we're overcharged by everything.
My wallet flinched the second I got off the train and it saw the coffee prices in the station...

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Azure-Supernova said:
BGH122 said:
Azure-Supernova said:

(that is totally a joke)
My wallet flinched the second I got off the train and it saw the coffee prices in the station...
That's for sure. The only way to be able to afford anything is to shop in chains like Tesco Express. A 500ml bottle of water is 50p there as opposed to £1.00 in a corner shop.

So from where in our (not so) glorious nation do you hail?

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
BGH122 said:
Azure-Supernova said:
BGH122 said:
Azure-Supernova said:

(that is totally a joke)
That's for sure. The only way to be able to afford anything is to shop in chains like Tesco Express. A 500ml bottle of water is 50p there as opposed to £1.00 in a corner shop.

The West Middlands, just South of Birmingham. In a little town smack bang in the middle of the Cannock Chase. Once you've driven into my town, you're already halfway out. Being so small and most produce being locally sourced, the food in restaurants is usually cheap (even the 'expensive' places) and which is probably why I've never had to tip anyone.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
Zeeky_Santos said:
Maybe in your country. We don't tip much in Australia.
They definitely don't tip in New Zealand... although I'm not sure what their position on tepping is.
I lol'd quite hard.

OT: I don't tip unless I receive EXEPTIONAL service, and then it's like, 10% tops.

Don't yell at me, I'm an Aussie, our waitstaff make $13.00/hour.

Also, tipping is big in NZ for waitstaff/barstaff.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Azure-Supernova said:
BGH122 said:
Azure-Supernova said:
BGH122 said:
Azure-Supernova said:

(that is totally a joke)

The West Middlands, just South of Birmingham. In a little town smack bang in the middle of the Cannock Chase. Once you've driven into my town, you're already halfway out. Being so small and most produce being locally sourced, the food in restaurants is usually cheap (even the 'expensive' places) and which is probably why I've never had to tip anyone.
Is it nice there? How's the crime? Birmingham and all the other mid-northern cities are shitholes aren't they?

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
BGH122 said:
Is it nice there? How's the crime? Birmingham and all the other mid-northern cities are shitholes aren't they?
Well when you're walled in on all sides by forrest, it's pretty scenic. The crime is practically non-existant, we have our moments but it's very rare. Some parts of Birmingham are shit, but I do live at least a good two hours away from any major city.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Azure-Supernova said:
BGH122 said:
Well when you're walled in on all sides by forrest, it's pretty scenic. The crime is practically non-existant, we have our moments but it's very rare. Some parts of Birmingham are shit, but I do live at least a good two hours away from any major city.
Ah right, well that's lucky. I considered studying medicine at Birmingham but after a moment of contemplation I decided that it's pointless learning how to fix the human body if mine is irreparably stabbed to bits by the end of the course.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
BGH122 said:
Azure-Supernova said:
BGH122 said:
Ah right, well that's lucky. I considered studying medicine at Birmingham but after a moment of contemplation I decided that it's pointless learning how to fix the human body if mine is irreparably stabbed to bits by the end of the course.

I don't know, I figure if you could fix yourself up, you could use yourself as an assignment.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Azure-Supernova said:
BGH122 said:
Azure-Supernova said:
BGH122 said:

I don't know, I figure if you could fix yourself up, you could use yourself as an assignment.
Hadn't thought of that! Might be a bit tough fixing myself up on the first day though.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
AvsJoe said:
1. Depends on the service, but generally yes.
2. Great service - 15%, good service - ~10%, less than good service - 0%
3. Yeah, kinda.

I thought about mentioning Reservoir Dogs' famous tipping scene, but I decided not to. Oh wait...
every time i go out to eat i mention that line