Tips for someone new to Minecraft

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
So even though the bandwagon left months ago and is swiftly on its way to Timbuktu, I decided that now was the time to suck it up and buy Minecraft.

So I have it. Now I have no idea what to do with it.

I can wrap my head around the crafting, but I'm at a loss with everything else. How does one reach the Zen of Enjoying Minecraft?

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Those green penisis you see walking around? They want hugs. Lots of hugs. If they blow up it means you didn't get to them fast enough to give them a hug.

To enjoy minecraft you have to decide what you want to do. Since the game itself has a pretty vague endgame it makes it hard to stay entertained if you don't make your own goals. Is your goal to travel from land to land or to a large gold house? Is it to be a monster killer or a master builder? Figure out goals for building or whatever you want to do. Want to make a castle? Focus on making a part at a time. Be it the wall or the keep. Maybe you want to start with the barracks or farms.

also minecraft improves a lot when playing with others. look for servers and finding one that seems to apply to what you want to do. Do note that a lot of non whitelist open servers are prone to griefing and hacking.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Set yourself a project. Get some buddies to join in. Maybe download a mod or two (The Yogbox is a big compilation of all the well known mods I believe.)
Minecraft is as fun as you make it.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Have you ever played with legos?, is kinda like that, you could look for something you wanna built a look for the materials to make it.

Do you have the PC version?, you could probably download some mods

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
after you get diamond gear and go to the nether there isn't really much you can do except go for the ender dragon (is that his name?) otherwise you just have to give yourself a project, build a big mine or a pixel character something. Personally I am constructing a big castle I don't play very often but once in a while I will log back in to build a little more, quite relaxing actually bit of a zen thing to it

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
CrazyBlaze said:
Those green penisis you see walking around? They want hugs. Lots of hugs. If they blow up it means you didn't get to them fast enough to give them a hug.
I'm on my 15th save right now. I keep trying to hug them faster, but it seems like they just don't like me. :(

I think there's a book on this; it was called "How to Make Friends and Influence Penises". But I might be wrong about the subject matter.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Version 1.3 got released, "the adventure update" so prepare for the return of the bandwagon.

From the ZP review "Do not use fire to clear forests unless you want your game world to look like the vietnam war"

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Dangit2019 said:
CrazyBlaze said:
I'm on my 15th save right now. I keep trying to hug them faster, but it seems like they just don't like me. :(

I think there's a book on this; it was called "How to Make Friends and Influence Penises". But I might be wrong about the subject matter.
I forget to mention you need to give them raw chicken first.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
I second the project suggestion. Whether it's a monster harvester, underwater railway, or a castle in the sky, just choose something you think would be cool and figure out a way to build it.

Also, I've found quite a bit of enjoyment playing ocean island maps. They lend a survival aspect to the game, and prevent the player from being bogged down too early in the game with exploration.

Welcome to one of gaming greatest time sinks. Enjoy the ride.

Anget Colslaw

Jul 26, 2012
CrazyBlaze said:
Dangit2019 said:
CrazyBlaze said:

I thought you had to hug them while having nothing but diamond objects in your inventory.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Anget Colslaw said:
CrazyBlaze said:
Dangit2019 said:
CrazyBlaze said:

I thought you had to hug them while having nothing but diamond objects in your inventory.
I am of the understanding that was in beta 1.1. I thought it changed in the Beta 1.8 patch.

targren

May 13, 2009
Anget Colslaw said:
No no. THAT'S what you do when you want to take a lava shower!

Prosis

May 5, 2011
The wiki is your best friend. While some recipes are intuitive or easy to figure out, there's a lot of items that pretty much can't be crafted unless you know the recipe.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Beware of Herobrine

Remember to sleep in your bed as soon as you make your first house, so that if you die you aren't absolutely lost. Try to have a backup of most items. And when you're able to mine Obsidian, make a panic room with food, weapons, a bed and an escape from which enemies can't enter. Steel doors (Double layer is good with pressure plates or levers). It's not a bad idea, trust me.

spacewalker

Sep 13, 2010
You might want to check out some of the mods. People have been adding content to the game to an impressive degree.
They have also been making adventures and puzzlemaps.

Ectoplasmicz

Nov 23, 2011
Dirty Apple said:
I second the project suggestion. Whether it's a monster harvester, underwater railway, or a castle in the sky, just choose something you think would be cool and figure out a way to build it.
Pretty much this.

Also, DO NOT dig straight down. The chances that you will fall into lava or a massive mineshaft are high, and nobody likes that.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Well I think the thing about Minecraft is that there is no one way to enjoy it the most. What makes it so good is that there are a number of approaches to the game all of which feel rewarding. If you're more interested in the lego aspect of the game, creative mode is probably where you need to be at. It can be a lot of fun to do this on a multiplayer server where you can show off the awesome things you built, and I'd invite you to my own but since it's rented and runs on Bukkit it'll be un-operational between now and whenever Bukkit updates itself for 1.3. Regardless, this mode really is your childhood dream of living in a world of legos finally realized... that couldn't have just been my dream, right? If you do find yourself attracted to that sort of gameplay, then finding a project is exactly what you need to do. You can build elaborate palaces, twisted underground research facilities with elaborate experiments, or giant statues of Doctor Manhattan (giant blue wang included) stretching from the lowest point of the map to the highest point (all three of which I have done).

If you like the idea of a survival horror (which isn't really that horrifying until a Creeper gets near the thing made of valuable materials you just spent the last three days building, or you fall into a dark cavern with nothing but the groans of zombies, clicks of skeleton bones, and slowly approaching hiss of explodey death to keep you company) with some really rewarding exploration and the lego aspect still in play except now you have to go out and painstakingly find every single block you want to use, then the survival mode is probably the way to go. You'll sink countless hours into gathering the materials for your house, fort, or perfect recreation of The Hall of Justice... or wherever it is that you go at night to keep the zombies away, and by the time you've actually got a decent stock of resources you'll probably feel like a badass. The survival mode has another benefit as well, which is that unlike in creative (where you can have as much of any item as you'd like, regardless of how rare it is) the survival mode will really make you work for everything. Even the hopelessly common resources like wood, stone, and dirt will require work since when you need them, you tend to need them in large numbers. But it'll get really rewarding once you develop a decent mineshaft and have the good fortune to occasionally stumble upon some diamonds or even just some iron. And if you decide you're in the market for some really specific object like a pumpkin (or if you're not in a desert biome a cactus) and journey far from home to find it, the moment when you do finally come across it will be worthy of the same sort of celebration you'd hold if you just graduated from college or got married.

I haven't tried the adventure mode, but honestly I have a hard time imagining it'll add anything of real merit to the game. For all it's brilliance, the game's combat department is more than a little lacking, and while stumbling across an NPC village or abandoned fortress in the survival mode generally produces the sort of joy which requires that you change pants on account of the mysterious sticky white liquid that suddenly appeared in the pair you had been wearing, if these kinds of events are scripted in Adventure mode (and I don't know if they are, so perhaps I'm speaking out of my ass) I doubt they'll have the same joy inducing effects.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Go into a normal world. Gather dirt up the butt. Find pigs nearby water. Block them in by building 2-high walls. Cut up tall grass for seeds, and plant them by the water with a hoe.
If all goes well, you can use the wheat grown to continuously spawn pigs for food, as well as creating a compound for other material purposes. I've done this with my recent games, and it makes things successful as no beastie can infiltrate past my walls.
Since zombies can break down doors, just use fence gates, which are take less resources.

And after you have your base, play strategy games and think "I can build that building in Minecraft." And then proceed to do so.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I can give you a few tips:
-Never dig straight down, for fear of digging into a cave or lava.
-Don't get too attached to your first base; it should be an outpost before you make your first big building.
--> When you have multiple safe havens, keep supplies in all of them.
-See Creeper, RUN.
-Your first day should be spent making a shelter, and, if necessary, a bed.
-The wiki is your best friend; if you ever need to know anything, the wiki will know it.
-Gold anything is useless. Only use gold for a clock or powered rails., because it's kinda rare.
-Strip mine for diamonds. Dig a tunnel leading to the bottom of the world (bedrock). Once you hit the top layer (of five), go up five blocks and dig along that level.
-Always pack food and torches; at least a stack of 64.
Now these are survival tips. To get the most out of your Minecraft experience, as many others have said, give yourself a project.
Find a cool landmark and build into it, or build your own landmark, it doesn't matter.
Remember that your world is virtually limitless, so you have ample space for all your building desires.
Other than that, best of luck with your first foray into the Minecraft universe.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
The general "give yourself a project" advice is good. I personally recommend starting off with something practical- a little house with a few simple redstone contraptions, for instance- and gradually building up to the Eighty Foot Golden Cock and Balls level of extravagance. As far as obtaining material, I find that big fuck-off quarries are the best way to get to the bottom of the map, after which you should start branch mining at the diamond levels.