Tips on shooters

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
Off the top of my head I'd recommend Left 4 Dead, as well as the upcoming second coming of Christ Modern Warfare 2.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
crazyhaircut94 said:
Jaranja said:
Gears of War 2 isn't an FPS.
Sorry about that. Fixed it now. But could you add some actual recommendations instead of just correcting me?
Apologies, not really a shooter fan but I liked pretty much everything you said. You tried Halo 1/2/3/ODST? According to my mate; they're good. Killing Floor's great fun for a while, it's on the PC, though.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
If you enjoyed Gears 2, try Dead Space.

It's another third person shooter but more horror themed.

The guns in it are all mining tools, which is ten times more awesome than it sounds, as you can strategically remove limbs from the baddies to immobilise them.

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
EDIT: sorry didn't read block of text properly.

Like you I would recommend games with lots of violence in them because it's satisfying to defeat them.

- Dark Sector
- The Darkness
- Prototype
- Left 4 Dead
- Unreal Tournament 3
- Kane and Lynch
- Hitman: Blood Money

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Buy a PS3 and get Uncharted 2! (MAJOR JOKE) I haven't got a 360, sorry, so I can't advise you on FPS's on a 360, but I think the line-up is similar on both consoles. If you're looking for gaming tips, I've got a few:
1) Grenades, grenades, grenades. Keep concentrating as much as you can in a firefight, but always keep an eye on your grenade count. If you're playing on games with different types of grenades, a la COD4, use that to your advantage. Smoke a group on enemies that you are having trouble with, then pick them off at your leisure. Throw a stun grenade in a house occupied by enemies, then kill them while their stunned. My favorite method is to stun a large group of enemies, then take them out with a frag. This way, enemies have no time to run away.
2) Ammo. Reloading is vital if you are to stay alive in FPS's. Make sure that you have a full magazine before entering a fight. Always keep your third eye on your ammo count (not to be taken directly) to make sure that you are always prepared to defeat the enemy.
3) Iron sight versus run n' gun. Know the right time to iron sight an enemy, (use the knobbly bits on the top of your gun) or to run and aim with the reticule. The closer the enemy is, the better it is to run n' gun, but never feel like that is an option always open to you.
4) (Online only) Make sure that if you are to die, your enemy is to suffer also. If close to death, make sure you either drop a grenade, or throw it, as close to your opponent as you can. Because as they say, if you're goin' to die, you might as well take everyone with you. I have people that avoid me online, because of how they always die with me.

Hope I helped.

captainordo

Mar 28, 2009
If you like destruction, Red Faction Guerrilla and Mercs 1
Also THe older games in the series you mentioned
COD 1&2
Gears 1

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Jaranja said:
crazyhaircut94 said:
Jaranja said:
Gears of War 2 isn't an FPS.
Sorry about that. Fixed it now. But could you add some actual recommendations instead of just correcting me?
Apologies, not really a shooter fan but I liked pretty much everything you said. You tried Halo 1/2/3/ODST? According to my mate; they're good. Killing Floor's great fun for a while, it's on the PC, though.
Tried Halo, didn't really like it that much. Isn't Killing Floor more of a multi-player game?

HG131 said:
crazyhaircut94 said:
I'm currently aching for some gunslinging fun, so I've been searching for good FPS's. The last really good shooters (single-player wise) I played were Call of Duty 4 and Gears of War 2. I've played good ones, but those were exceptional. I'm getting into Borderlands, but I'm playing on my brother's, and I only visit him once a week. Any tips? I like ones with a little tactical shooting, where it's not just walking into enemy base with bullets flying. But I like when it's a bit more fast-paced shooting, which is why I liked COD4 so much.

Also, while I like Borderlands, I mainly dislike RPG's like Fallout 3 where you have to walk ten miles before you get to shoot anything (and even then it's not that fun). I tried playing F.E.A.R cause it was a 100% FPS with high praise, but the guns were just terrible and there was no satisfaction in killing. (And if you're thinking it, yes, I've tried Half-Life, didn't like it)

EDIT: Sorry for not mentioning, I own a 360 and PC, not a PS3.
Ok, listen to me. Go to http://store.steampowered.com/ and then create an account/log in. Find the Half-Life Complete Pack. It comes with Half-Life 1, 2, Lost Coast, Episode 1, E2, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, Team Fortress Classic, and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch. Buy it. Have fun for a week or more.
Um, I just said that I'd tried Half-Life. I borrowed The Orange Box, and it never started getting fun for me.

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
Brothers In Arms is fantastic, but if you're into CoD, thiese games are in a different league. They're alot harder, even on Normal difficulty.

Also, Portal.

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
madbird-valiant said:
I suggest you try Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas and/or Vegas 2. First Person Shooters with a touch of strategy involved. If you're not picky, there's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and GRAW 2 on the Third Person Shooter front.
Very much this. Rainbow 6 is a fairly punishing game if you don't go into it with tactics in mind.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
If you want something that's a little more than just memorizing where enemies spawn, get Painkiller.

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
lostclause said:
madbird-valiant said:
I suggest you try Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas and/or Vegas 2. First Person Shooters with a touch of strategy involved. If you're not picky, there's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and GRAW 2 on the Third Person Shooter front.
Very much this. Rainbow 6 is a fairly punishing game if you don't go into it with tactics in mind.
Compared to the proper Rainbow Six games, Vegas isn't exactly what you'd call punishing. Then, there's Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis - making Vegas look like a casual gamer's FPS in terms of difficulty.
Haven't played that, only one and 2 so I can't comment. I do think Rainbow 6 takes the whole realism aspect a bit far so if there's ones that are more so then I probably wouldn't go for them anyway.

thesmurf45

Jun 9, 2009
Killing floor is largly multi player but you can play on your own or find a mutator to add bots.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Killing Floor? Pure FPS for the PC, £15 on Steam. With the bullet-time/head splattering bit, I think the kills are pretty satisfying.

EDIT:
crazyhaircut94 said:
Killing Floor's great fun for a while, it's on the PC, though.
Jaranja said:
Tried Halo, didn't really like it that much. Isn't Killing Floor more of a multi-player game?
HG131 said:
Killing floor is largly multi player but you can play on your own or find a mutator to add bots.
Incidentally, if you play Killing Floor, there's a new group starting in the Escapist PC clan, feel free to join! http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapist-Killing-Floor-Group

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
madbird-valiant said:
Don't be hatin' on Fallout 3.

Argh, GRAW was so bad. I managed to struggle through the first few levels but the controls were so sluggish, and my team mates were so utterly incompetent (Seriously, how hard is it to understand "Go over there and shoot dudes"? Why do they always hear "Go and stand in a wide open area and let said dudes shoot you in the face and then ***** like its my fault you're a fucking idiot"), I had to stop playing or my controllers would all have been destroyed from me hurling them at the wall every two minutes.

Hyperactiveman said:
- Hitman: Blood Money
Absolutely agree, if you want something strategic. There is nothing more satisfying than setting up the perfect assassination with some poison, a falling piano, or whatever other sneaky method you choose. Being able to calmly walk away from the dirty deed is a great feeling. Of course, if you feel like being more of a Hollywood-style hitman, you can grab an assault rifle and switch into first-person view. My (admittedly twisted) mind really enjoyed the level where the drug lord is holding a birthday party for his kid - dressing as a clown, getting into the party, and then pulling out a gun and killing everyone in the house :D

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
wordsmith said:
Killing Floor? Pure FPS for the PC, £15 on Steam. With the bullet-time/head splattering bit, I think the kills are pretty satisfying.

EDIT:
crazyhaircut94 said:
Killing Floor's great fun for a while, it's on the PC, though.
Jaranja said:
HG131 said:
Incidentally, if you play Killing Floor, there's a new group starting in the Escapist PC clan, feel free to join! http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapist-Killing-Floor-Group
What is Killing Floor? From what I've seen, it reminds me a bit of L4D.

-IT-

Feb 5, 2008
*Looks at all the sugestions that have been turned down so far*

Damn your picky. Well you can try battlefield 2 for some multiplayer fun with some teamwork / strategy.