Tired of Playing Humans

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
DeathWyrmNexus said:
Personally, I want a monstrous form of the Spiderman games. Stalking and doing inhuman things to victims. Be on the otherside of a monster movie. Be the monster. :D
Ultimate Spiderman for the xbox let you play as Venom. That was fun because it was all about killing cops, soldiers and sucking innocent people into your chest cavity! No wussy Spiderman 3 Venom either. He was tanky like the Hulk and could leap tall buildings and fling cars up into the air!

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
PurpleRain said:
DeathWyrmNexus said:
Personally, I want a monstrous form of the Spiderman games. Stalking and doing inhuman things to victims. Be on the otherside of a monster movie. Be the monster. :D
Ultimate Spiderman for the xbox let you play as Venom. That was fun because it was all about killing cops, soldiers and sucking innocent people into your chest cavity! No wussy Spiderman 3 Venom either. He was tanky like the Hulk and could leap tall buildings and fling cars up into the air!
Here is the thing, you could do that, but it never really got expanded on. AND you could die by standing still too long because the suit would kill you. The feeding was interesting but another good way to get killed.

I actually expanded on that idea in my other thread about the game idea I had.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Hey, what's wrong with vampires? There aren't enough games involving undead as playable characters, if you ask me.

I want to play "Undeath: The awakening" or something involving necromancers, vampires and zombies as player options. Seriously, blood sucking, dead raising or head breaking, give me the options.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Seconding Eudamonian's point- it's unwise to make you a part of a bizarre alien race/culture unless their motivations are developed beyond simple 'need' desires such as food or territory. Also very difficult to create realistic secondary characters in such a race, a good case of this being the various alien races of Star Trek and Star Wars: most of their aliens never veer from the stereotypical defining characteristics of their races (Hutts=Sleazy and Evil, Kingons=Honorable, etc...). Speaking of those, there's rarely a point to making them 'alien' to begin with if they're always of standard bipedal configuration with only a few cosmetic differences from humans.

That being said, I would love to see an adventure/puzzle game where you could play as many different types of animals, perhaps shifting between them to accomplish tasks (yes, Animorphs fan here, but those games sucked and did not do the books justice). EVO and Space Station: Silicon Valley are the only games I can recall that really allowed you to do this.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Actually I was thinking of moving away from the human element. Think about playing a dragon. A dragon's desires and wants are rather alien to us. We see gold as a currency, it is bedding to them. They enjoy the visceral screams of their victims and the power they have to wield at their whim. They treat humans the way we treat ants. Fascinating at times but mostly just an annoyance.

Personally, I don't think you really need a motivation beyond feeding or territory to make a story work. Hell, what is the drive behind most heroes in a game. Vengeance. Vengeance is dirt simple. A wrongs B and thus B wants to kick A's ass. The rest of the story is fluff. The motivation is simple.

I think backstory is only as interesting as a passive read. It is the present that should matter in a game. Reasons and motivation are essential but it is the present that you will play in.

Here is an example of what I am talking about using my mutant game idea as an example.

"The Creature finds itself behind bars for years being poked and proded by the odd creatures in white coats that never seem to care about anything beyond something called a blood sample. It finds itself being put to sleep only to find itself sore from where they last cut on it. They subject it to tests and other odd things that only seem to frighten and confuse it, being punished if they are not pleased with the results.

Finally, a miracle happens. A word it can't even truly grasp but it happens. An accident happens while it is being transported and the bars that have been its confirming hell are broken, allowing it into the wild where it first slinks into a sewer.

After a day or so of hiding, it finds its stomach rumbling and stalks upwards towards the fresh night air. From the manhole, its senses are regaled by the scent of meat. Walking, talking meat just like what had hurt it for so long. With a leap and a snap, followed by stifled screams, it wolfs down its first meal, sating a hunger and creating a desire and a need for more.

However, it flees from flashing lights and harsh sirens as more of these odd creatures arrive and mutter about its kill. A new terror has begun but it must be careful lest discovered and destroyed by the hands that made it or the protectors of its new prey. Let alone that it can also smell odd creatures like itself and can only feel hatred for rivals to its new domain."

Hopefully that illustrates the idea that hunger and domain can work as backstory and motivation.

Gunsahoy

Jan 24, 2008
The Irrelevant Gamer said:
I'd like to see a free roaming game that lets you play as a dragon. Flying around, smashing things, breathing fire...

...I think looking somewhere besides humans for game protagonists is a top idea.
This was tried with Dragon Rage [http://au.ps2.ign.com/articles/166/166639p1.html]. It's a shame that there aren't more like it.

And of course there is the spyro series of games too.

Nov 15, 2007
Gunsahoy said:
The Irrelevant Gamer said:
I'd like to see a free roaming game that lets you play as a dragon. Flying around, smashing things, breathing fire...

...I think looking somewhere besides humans for game protagonists is a top idea.
This was tried with Dragon Rage [http://au.ps2.ign.com/articles/166/166639p1.html]. It's a shame that there aren't more like it.

And of course there is the spyro series of games too.
Thanks for the head's up! I had never heard of that game, but now it is going on the ridiculously long back catalog of PS2 games I want to play.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Haven't played it myself, but damn, I want to. I honestly can't remember why I didn't buy it when it came out.

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
DeathWyrmNexus said:
Something like that, yes. Hell, I might make a thread about my game idea. It is starting to flesh out rather nicely in my head.

And yes, a robot would be awesome.
There are some threads about game designs, you'll find them if you look.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
[HD said:
Rob Inglis]
DeathWyrmNexus said:
Something like that, yes. Hell, I might make a thread about my game idea. It is starting to flesh out rather nicely in my head.

And yes, a robot would be awesome.
There are some threads about game designs, you'll find them if you look.
Well I already made mine so I guess that makes there another one on the chopping blocks.

Ros Lai

Dec 14, 2007
runtheplacered said:
Crashtestretard said:
I recently thought of an idea for a game. It was a hunting sim but your not the hunter your the deer!
Do you just sit there, completely oblivious, until suddenly BAM... you're dead?
Actually, there's some spin-off of the Deer hunter game series (Forgot what it's called exactly: Deer Hunter: Revenge?) Where you play as a deer and hunt Hunters. Aside from that, the only other thing I remember about it was that you could bait hunters with donuts. Came out around '98 or so.