Titanfall 2 Will Have a Singleplayer Campaign

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
[shock] Titanfall had a story?!? [/shock]

If the single player is longer than 10 hours, I will be equally as shocked.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
JagermanXcell said:
Treyarch doesn't make Titanfall.

The game was made by Respawn Entertainment, which was an upstart founded in 2010 (I think) by Vince Zampella and Jason West, formerly of Infinity Ward.

Gonna have to pray to Vince and Jason if you want your wishes answered. ;)

Naldan said:
How about bots? Get decent bots, maybe? Is it more lucrative to invest into a campaign rather than having decent bots? They already have some kind of AI, I can't believe that it's so hard to make task-ready bots.
There were fairly decent Titan bots added into the game a few months after release. It was a necessity for the Frontier Defense mode.

I imagine Pilot bots are much harder to code, given the mobility involved. Coding adaptive pathing with that movement system must be a logistical nightmare. But there were signs, those Titan bots in particular, that Respawn were working on building a robust AI system for more than just the Grunts and Spectres.

What is wrong with these people who develope shooters? All the time either no SP at all or a throw-away campaign done in 4 hours. Medal of Honor, Battlefield (nowadays), Titanfall.
In Titanfall's case, it was a matter of time and resources. Simply put: They had to make some cuts to get the game released. They were still an upstart dev company at the time and had to make due with what they could. They had to build all of their assets from scratch. They managed to license the Source engine from Valve but had to rebuild it almost from the ground up to get it to do what they needed it to do. Hell, through most of the game's development the studio had only a handful of computers to build the game with.

They tried to compensate for the lack of a campaign with the Story Mode in multiplayer. It was an interesting experiment, but it failed miserably.

Hopefully the sequel's campaign can match the quality and scope of the multiplayer.

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I liked the idea of Titanfall and yes a single player/co-op experience was sorely missing from that game. Also the mechs were too constrained in multiplayer by small maps whereas a larger Battlefield-esque map would work so much better. Would love to see some other styles of mech as well, like artillery, keep em behind the front lines, dropping the hammer and clearing the way for the smaller faster infantry mechs and more tank-like mechs. So much potential for the game to be great both in the multiplayer arena and singleplayer game but they can't keep trying to remake Call of Duty Modern Warfare with mechs, they need to separate it and make a game that stands on its own merits.
Larger more open maps? That is actually the last thing I want. That just means that you are doomed if you don't have a mech. The smaller maps with lots of building are designed like that for balance reasons. Now if they did that and had it in it's own all-mechs-all-the-time game mod then maybe. But doing that you would loss out on the mix of pilot vs. mech fights and just the fun of running around as the pilot. I would love a game with massive pure mech on mech combat like that but I don't think it fits well for Titanfall. Maybe I should check out Mechwarrior.

Sep 24, 2008
Vigormortis said:
ObsidianJones said:
Also... More fricking guns. Seriously. Make things at least interesting by trying to unlock more.
No, thank you. I'd prefer fewer weapons designed around role fulfillment and balance rather than a deluge of weapons with no clear goal in mind.

Seriously, I don't get this complaint. An overabundance of weapons does NOT automatically improve the game. In fact, in many cases, it hurts it.
The complaint is as follows, and of course it will be meaningless to you if you don't see it that way.

An overabundance of weapons does not automatically improve a game. Nor does a handful of weapons actually lend itself to role fulfillment, especially when not everyone will play the role the same.

TF2 is a perfect example in both extremes.

Back in my heyday in TF2 on the Xbox 360, there were certain classes I just wouldn't play because I never liked shotguns. Just didn't care for them. That closed the door for people like me who tend to gravitate to a certain weapon style.

When the first new weapons were released for TF2 on the PC, I was ecstatic. I could play the roles I want in a manner that fit me. Or at least didn't make me feel like Demoman number 435,679,101.

Now with the plethora of weapons... yeah, too much. I won't touch it.

An overabundance does not automatically improve the game, but neither does strapping someone in and saying 'This is all you get'. I'm the type of guy who likes experimenting and trying new things or working a thing from a different angle. Personally, I never the feeling that I could do that with Titanfall.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Vigormortis said:
ObsidianJones said:
Also... More fricking guns. Seriously. Make things at least interesting by trying to unlock more.
No, thank you. I'd prefer fewer weapons designed around role fulfillment and balance rather than a deluge of weapons with no clear goal in mind.

Seriously, I don't get this complaint. An overabundance of weapons does NOT automatically improve the game. In fact, in many cases, it hurts it.
The complaint is as follows, and of course it will be meaningless to you if you don't see it that way.

An overabundance of weapons does not automatically improve a game. Nor does a handful of weapons actually lend itself to role fulfillment, especially when not everyone will play the role the same.

TF2 is a perfect example in both extremes.

Back in my heyday in TF2 on the Xbox 360, there were certain classes I just wouldn't play because I never liked shotguns. Just didn't care for them. That closed the door for people like me who tend to gravitate to a certain weapon style.

When the first new weapons were released for TF2 on the PC, I was ecstatic. I could play the roles I want in a manner that fit me. Or at least didn't make me feel like Demoman number 435,679,101.

Now with the plethora of weapons... yeah, too much. I won't touch it.

An overabundance does not automatically improve the game, but neither does strapping someone in and saying 'This is all you get'. I'm the type of guy who likes experimenting and trying new things or working a thing from a different angle. Personally, I never the feeling that I could do that with Titanfall.
I personally like Titanfall's approach, having the rifle, the shotgun, the burst rifle etc. You know how your gun is going to play and you don't need to compare guns of a similar role, because they all have just the one role.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
"So we are doing our best to deliver a vision of grand global colonial warfare retelling the story of the American Revolution and the American Civil War in space," said Stern, giving us a little bit of a hint at what Titanfall 2's story would entail. "We imagined the next generation of immigrants moving out to the new frontier of an inhabitable planet."
It does seem a little like veering from one extreme to another. The game gets criticised for having no campaign, so for the next one they opt to retell 100 years of American history.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds more interesting for sure. had no main issues with part 1 but it got a bit stale after a wile. especially since MP titles hate me after a month.
having SP, this could get my interest.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Dalrien said:
I can't even begin to comprehend why tagging on an obligatory campaign to a mainly multiplayer experience somehow suddenly makes it a consideration for purchasing it.

*Roll eyes*
I can't even begin to comprehend why selling half a game for full price is somehow suddenly a consideration for purchasing it.

You have your values for games, others have theirs. I will not waste money on a game that is dead once the servers go down/players numbers drop off. I love Counter Strike Source, Unreal Tournament etc, all multi player games and all have bots and other single player offline options so I can still play them today if I feel like having a quick round. Even when the games are still new I prefer versing bots as I can't be assed to deal with people.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Rommel102 said:
I'm happy they are going to add more content to the game, but I'm pretty skeptical that the "single player campaign" will be the reason that people go out and buy it.
The only reason I didn't bother with it was because it was multi-player only, no matter how much I like the concept. Sorry, I just don't do multi-player. I didn't complain, but I also decided I wasn't gonna bother, even with good reviews.

If the single-player campaign ends up being good, I'll put down money for it.

Adam3s

Jul 17, 2014
Sniper Team 4 said:
I kind of cross my arms and raise my eyebrows at the whole, "One of the shortcomings of the first game was we just did not have the mechanism to tell everyone 'here's who you are, here's where you are and who's around you." bit, because I don't buy it. I get more of the feeling, "Multiplayer only so we can keep making a profit with DLC and microtransations," and when the game didn't sell amazingly, they realized that wasn't such a good idea.
The game sold fine, sounds more like they are aware that some users didn't stay with the game for long because they didn't have context for what they were doing. Game never had micro transactions and the DLC was later given away.

Anyway news sounds great...hope they do more story building then with the SP and maybe explore the idea that it's meant to be on an alien planet as it didn't feel like it most of the time.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Elfgore said:
As someone who played Titanfall non-stop whenever I went to my friends who had its house. Color me excited. A single player campaign would be great for a game I already found awesome.
I've always understood that the core of the game was great. It just lacked anything beyond that core. The story was basically nonexistent. And if the story said your team lost a battle, winning wouldn't change that in the story. By and large it seems that more story would be a good thing. And not being tied to Xbox can only help. I'll certainly be interested in getting it on my PS4.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
A singleplayer campaign would be enough to tip me over into the 'interested' crowd.

Its absence was the only thing that kept me away from Titanfall in the first place.
While I do love and can get completely absorbed by a good multiplayer experience, at the same time I do like to have a setting established by a singleplayer campaign.

There's never really time in the middle of a multiplayer match to pause a moment and take in the setting.
Well, not unless you want to get stampeded by a passing hostile.

In a single player campaign I can take all the time I like to poke around and really get a good look at the world they've created.
While playing multiplayer though it feels like letting my team down if I wander about just taking in the sights.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Vigormortis said:
Thank you for the input. I was more talking about Titanfall 2 when saying "What's wrong with the devs." I know that it's extremely challenging, but what really puzzles me:

These campaigns are often, as far as I know, rather expensive to make. And need a lot of time. Is it really easier to build these instead of a useful AI? Since the maps have to be there anyway, because it's a multiplayer-focused game.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
ObsidianJones said:
I think the answer is more frickin' everything when it comes to Titanfall 2.

More weapons.
More diversity between the mech's sizes, armament and abilities.
More (much, much more) AI mobs kicking around the map, also make them a vaguely credible threat as well.
More than 12 players per game.
More private and custom match options on release (as in, some private match options on release).
The option to hire and operate private servers.

On a more personal note, more honest marketing. They sold the 'campaign' as a Left 4 Dead style co-operative experience where your succeeding or failing actually had some kind of effect on the story. What they released was downright insulting to anyone who paid money for it.

While I'm griping, a move away from snap-to auto aim and hit scan weapons wouldn't hurt either. The competitive scene for Titanfall died a death once it became apparent that the way to win was to plug in a 360 controller, find a corner with a long sight line to camp in and then let the software aim on your behalf whilst the hit scan weapons instantly found their mark every time. Real skillful that.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
Ah yes AAA games, where they'll throw the thousands of dollars into a advertisement to make a tv series so they can get probably ten more sales. Later on they'll make a season pass and sell DLC because they "can't make their money back."

As for the Single player campaign? Meh. I never played the original Titanfall so I can't say that was what it was missing, but every game should at least have some singleplayer mode be it a campaign or just a setting where you can play against bots.

Rommel102

Oct 8, 2014
Dalisclock said:
Rommel102 said:
I'm happy they are going to add more content to the game, but I'm pretty skeptical that the "single player campaign" will be the reason that people go out and buy it.
The only reason I didn't bother with it was because it was multi-player only, no matter how much I like the concept. Sorry, I just don't do multi-player. I didn't complain, but I also decided I wasn't gonna bother, even with good reviews.

No, the only reason you didn't buy the game is because apparently you don't like multiplayer games.

Titanfall was a multiplayer game. I'd rather they make a 30 hour single player campaign in the Titanfall universe than waste time and resources on appending a lackluster 8 hour campaign onto Titanfall 2.

The gaming world has changed immeasurably in the last 15 years but we are still expecting single player and multi-player games to be fully fleshed out and included in the same package. This fragments the developer teams, dramatically increases the cost, and ends up being a waste for the devs as has been proven time and time again with COD and other FPS games where most people don't even finish the campaign, or beat it one time and then spend 200 times longer in the multiplayer.

Just separate them into the proper two games that they should be.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
and I'll wait until the first sale before thinking about picking it up.

Already burned from presales.
Yeah, I picked it up (with an Xbox One console!) based on the hype. What a huge mistake. I played for a couple of weeks and then picked up Watch Dogs to justify my hardware investment. Zero for two.

I may pick up Titanfall 2 if the singleplayer campaign is any good (and takes more than a handful of hours to finish). The thing that Titanfall did get right was the sense of piloting a large, uberdestructive mech, which was pretty fun. Throw in a meaningful singleplayer campaign and some destructible environments and it could be a worthwhile purchase.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Rommel102 said:
Dalisclock said:
Rommel102 said:

No, the only reason you didn't buy the game is because apparently you don't like multiplayer games.
Okay.....how is that different then what I said?

Rommel102 said:
Titanfall was a multiplayer game. I'd rather they make a 30 hour single player campaign in the Titanfall universe than waste time and resources on appending a lackluster 8 hour campaign onto Titanfall 2.

The gaming world has changed immeasurably in the last 15 years but we are still expecting single player and multi-player games to be fully fleshed out and included in the same package. This fragments the developer teams, dramatically increases the cost, and ends up being a waste for the devs as has been proven time and time again with COD and other FPS games where most people don't even finish the campaign, or beat it one time and then spend 200 times longer in the multiplayer.

Just separate them into the proper two games that they should be.
I'd be fine with a single player game set in the Titanfall Universe/a singleplayer version of titanfall with no multiplayer.

I don't see any particular reason that games have to have both, if you could have a single player and a multiplayer version instead. Especially if they charged $30 for one instead of $60 for the full singleplayer/multiplayer package.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Neato! If I can play it offline than I might be tempted to pick it up when/if I get a PS4...assuming it's on the PS4. Like last time, I'm sure Respawn is anticipating a full release of Titanfall on the Bone and the PS4 so hopefully they won't find out during E3 that T2 isn't actually going to be multi-plat.

Playing offline...Ah, got what I needed for another thread!