Titanfall is the Most Fun FPS I've Played Since Team Fortress 2

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Well, multiplayer shooters aren't my cup of tea, but even though I'm a mild-semi-sorta-Sony fanboy I hope this is as good as it's being made out to be, because it might reshape the template that everyone has to copy and move it from modern military snoozefests to more interesting sci-fi themes. That would eventually lead to single-player FPS games that I'm actually interested in for the first time since Resistance:FOM.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Nnnnnot sure what the spite is about with Origin, it's a less good Steam, that's about it. People are treating this thing like a virus it seems. I'd rank origin far, far lower than anything ubisoft has put out. Buy a ubisoft game on steam? Well it needs to boot up a special version of Uplay for no reason that needs to update every other day. Far more irritating than origin, worst thing I had with that was...the overlay not showing up

It looks up info on your computer, so does Steam, ubisoft, netflix, firefox, chrome and ...everything. Not like I'm saying "yay it's on origin" more that "ehh who cares"

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Did I write this article under a pseudonym or something? Because I swear just about every thought, opinion, and assertion within mirror my own. Frighteningly similar, in fact.

Truthfully, I share you enthusiasm, Mr. Goodman. I too came out of the beta thinking that it was some of the most fun I'd had with an online game in years. Possibly even more so than what I've had with the likes of Left 4 Dead 2 and Dota 2. (two games I frequently play and enjoy) Even in the matches wherein I was losing I was still having an absolute blast.

Respawn's definitely crafted a hell of a game, if the beta is anything to go on.

They may have the talent, the prestige, and the pedigree of their previous works backing them up, but for their first title as a startup, Titanfall is shaping up to be a hell of a opener.

To anyone here who's buying the game March 11th[footnote]For PC.[/footnote], all I can say is:

See you in game and Stand by for Titanfall.

WMDogma said:
Only enemy spectres - your name appears underneath the ones you've hacked, and any kills they make supposedly count towards your score. There's actually a burn card that'll automatically start hacking nearby enemy spectres, I believe.
Speaking of Burn Cards: how brilliant are they, right? I mean, such an ingenious idea.

One time use. Predicated on random drops and a limited "deck" with no ancillary systems to exploit or any significant way to acquire or stockpile the more powerful ones. Limit of three per match. And they can even function as loadout supplements to give you that sudden shift you need to turn a match around.

Really excited to see what other mechanisms and systems are in place in the final build. If they follow similar design philosophies as were seen in the beta, and avoid the usual BS "perk" and leveling systems you seen in COD or BF, Respawn will have earned an immense amount of kudos from me.

Metalrocks said:
yes, forgot to mention it. dint know either you can do this. do you just walk behind them and instead breaking their necks you press the use button? cant remember seeing this button appearing.
Yeah, pretty much. But you don't necessarily need to be behind the enemy Spectre to hack it. Just close enough to grab it; at which point you're treated to an animation wherein your character spins the Spectre around, jams your Data Knife into the base of it's head, and after a few seconds the Spectre shifts to friendly colors and goes off seeking the closest enemy.

How useful they are at that point is debatable. But damned if it's not fun as hell to do, regardless.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Just a shame there won't be any NZ/AUS/Pacific servers any time soon. The lag in such a fast paced game makes it unplayable to a large degree. Which is a shame, but I am sick of games not supporting the region of the world I live in. We pay more for the games, treat us like equal customers at least.

Playing on PC in the beta, and I love the game, except for how I can't hit most things due to high ping and such. Makes it hard to play.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the thing that surprised me most are how much i loved burn cards, i always hated kill streak rewards but those cards are just genius, you can use them to get out of a slump, they don't bend the rules and just give you better versions of things and are limited in use so you can't spam them. i just wish there was a way to turn x number of cards i never use(titan CD, better pistols) into something i will actually use.

at this point the only thing that still makes me unsure about buying the game is the question of diversity in "classes", how do the other titans play in comparison to the atlas, are there tacticals that are as good as the cloak? are the other maps any good?

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Unfortunately after digging in to so many other multiplayer shooters, i feel like it doesn't offer the depth of the rest, matches result in a few people flying around like crazy making the layout of the map a side attraction, Titan fights are fun until you doom the Titan and the player launches off out of harms way giving you little satisfaction, the grunts running around are fine until you enter a room with a player in it and attack the grunt instead, giving the other player a huge advantage making you feel abit cheated.

The game is fun, it's a fast and frantic ride, but with the low player count i see people moving back to their games of choice.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
TheEvilCheese said:
Why is there still so much refusal to use origin? It's no worse than steam from a consumer rights perspective and it's better in some respects. Sure, it's not got the feature set or community, but it's by no means a deal breaker for me.

That said, I don't think I can justify the cost for a purely MP shooter, especially when I don't trust them not to release shitty overpriced map packs that are basically required 3 months down the line.
Origin...

For me, I have quite a few things I dislike about Origin (it's been a while so some of these might be out of date). As a service it is just vastly inferior to Steam... which is quite sad considering some of the games it has. Off the top of my head:

1. Steam has a simple interface that's easier* to use and little fuss.
Origin was clunky and hard to navigate, doesn't feel like it was well designed for PC use.

2. Steam allows me to get a friend to DL a game we both own and hand it to me on a hard drive to then be installed on my computer. Origin expects you to download and update everything yourself from your own bandwidth.

3. Steam saves my password and logs in automatically when I click the icon. Origin required you to enter your password every time you used it.

4. Origin was "Launch at Startup", this combined with the last point was a massive pain in the lower back. Steam, gives you the option to Launch on Start, but it's not by default and you can turn it off.

5. Origin updates during games and will even DC you from live matches/games to update itself... Steam waits until you completely close a game to do these things, or when you open it, which I'm not a fan of but at least it's not during games.

6. I used to play BF 3 but it was just such a massive jerk around to play using Origin, you couldn't queue for games with friends, you had to launch each individual game via the origin interface... so all 3 things needed to work to play a game. You needed Origin working, you needed their authentication service working and you needed the server working. It made an amazing game almost impossible to play and a chore to maintain. Don't even get me started on what they did to SWTOR either.

7. Origin had quite a small library of games and the store was always offline, I really hope they at least are a bit more consistent now.

They need to focus on user convenience if they really want to compete. So even though I was super excited about Titanfall, the fact that it is on Origin means I'll skip it... Bummer.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
It's an EA game; it will be $60 out the door and another $50 for the community-splitting DLC packs.

It's fun, but I'm just going to let this one pass. If there was ever a company whose logo made me stay away from a product, it's EA.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Reasons why I do not use Origin:
- it is something that was completely redundant at the point when it was made/published
- it still is redundant and inferior to Steam
- it is from EA and honestly, I don't trust these guys
Origin is only unneeded balast and leads to segregation instead of unification.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Notes from my Titanfall experience:

1. Origin isn't bad IMO. It isn't Steam, granted, but it isn't as horribad as folk make it out to be, nor is it inconvenient. It doesn't make playing Titanfall worse or anything. Its barely noticeable.

2. I actually got to experience another Titan, the Ogre because of a rare card drop that allowed me to spawn instantly in an Ogre Titan. That was awesome. It has a shield supercharge ability and was pretty badass looking, plus it seemed to last longer in battle, or maybe I was playing it safe because it was the only time I got to play with it. Either way that was awesome.

3. Wallrunning feels organic, makes the game feel faster paced than other FPS's and generally just worked well.

4. Matches in Attrition (the team deathmatch-analog mode) seem to be a bit short. I hope they up the points limit just a bit for longer matches. That being said the addition of the Epilogue where the losing team has to extract under fire and the winning team has to take out the opposition before they escape (including downing their transport) was absolutely cool.

5. Weapons were balanced. Pilot weapons I used were the Smart Pistol, Carbine and Sniper rifle. Each had strengths and weaknesses. The auto-aim on the smart pistol was a cool addition especially since it wasn't insta-lock on pilots. The carbine had good fire rates and damage and didn't feel overpowered. Sniping was definitely something that required skill and practice. I didn't notice any auto-aim when using the scope so no quickscoping, which was a plus, of course I may have been wrong. Titan weapons were a 40-mm cannon, quad-rocket launcher and chaingun. I didn't use the latter two as much because I loved the 40-mm. I felt like a walking tank turret. Perks and ordinance loadouts were also highly useful, but I stuck with the electric smoke to keep pilots off my titan and add some damage to the in-your-face pilots who liked to punch with their titan (BTW nothing is as satisfying as punching an on-foot pilot with your titan) and the nuclear ejection which turns your titan into a mini-nuke when its critically damaged (doomed) and you eject from it before it dies. Its like a fuck-you from your dying titan. Hint: Get in close to the titan that doomed you and eject for at least a titan kill credit if not a pilot kill as well.

6. Overall Titanfall definitely hits the highlights of what made Modern Warfare 1 and 2 fun for me and added in its own unique blend of awesome. I'm amazed at how well I did in the game by the end, averaging 3.2 k/d for pilots and the last few games were 8/5/0, 8/3/1, 8/1/3 (Pilot kills/titan kills/deaths). It feels like I got more kills in the game but part of those were AI kills and I didn't record those, but I had wildly varying stats on minion kills due to what class I decided to play.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
Yeah, I don't understand the Origin hate. Seems like a lot of people hate it because "everyone hates Origin" rather than actually having good reasons of their own. Not that I'm trying to defend some DRM disguised as a digital delivery service, but it really isn't any worse than Steam. I actually prefer the cleaner interface to Steam (although I still prefer Steam overall...mostly for the ridiculous sales...but if Origin started doing that too it would be pretty much a toss-up).
I don't really get it either, I mean 2-3 years ago yeah I hated origin with a burning passion, but that was before I installed it recently to play Titanfall and I've got to say it's hardly problematic or difficult to use.

On startup it of course popped up and I selected the option to make it not start for every time windows does and that was that, simple and easy.

My library is a click away, exactly the same with Steam, no fuss no muss.

No problems or bandwidth throttling like people have said in the past (only Uplay seems to do that for me at this moment).

I've also been gifted Crysis 2 and Burnout paradise ultimate box which was a nice way of extending my new library for one game I adore and a new one to try out.

I'm going to look forward to playing Titanfall but I fear it will be hard to openly discuss about this game with the way people currently see it, as in those that don't want to play it/attach the EA stigma to it even though it's a Rspawn developed game with EA only as their distributor.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Genocidicles said:
What with the PC version requiring Origin, the 360 version likely being an inferior version and the xbone version requiring an xbone, I'm afraid I shall have to give this a miss.
Thats precisely my take on things. Ive seen Titanfall footage, i like what i see, but i wont ever get it for those reasons. That and it would mean giving EA some of my money, something which i swore i would never do again.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Raioken18 said:
TheEvilCheese said:
Why is there still so much refusal to use origin? It's no worse than steam from a consumer rights perspective and it's better in some respects. Sure, it's not got the feature set or community, but it's by no means a deal breaker for me.

That said, I don't think I can justify the cost for a purely MP shooter, especially when I don't trust them not to release shitty overpriced map packs that are basically required 3 months down the line.
Origin...

For me, I have quite a few things I dislike about Origin (it's been a while so some of these might be out of date). As a service it is just vastly inferior to Steam... which is quite sad considering some of the games it has. Off the top of my head:

1. Steam has a simple interface that's easier* to use and little fuss.
Origin was clunky and hard to navigate, doesn't feel like it was well designed for PC use.

2. Steam allows me to get a friend to DL a game we both own and hand it to me on a hard drive to then be installed on my computer. Origin expects you to download and update everything yourself from your own bandwidth.

3. Steam saves my password and logs in automatically when I click the icon. Origin required you to enter your password every time you used it.

4. Origin was "Launch at Startup", this combined with the last point was a massive pain in the lower back. Steam, gives you the option to Launch on Start, but it's not by default and you can turn it off.

5. Origin updates during games and will even DC you from live matches/games to update itself... Steam waits until you completely close a game to do these things, or when you open it, which I'm not a fan of but at least it's not during games.

6. I used to play BF 3 but it was just such a massive jerk around to play using Origin, you couldn't queue for games with friends, you had to launch each individual game via the origin interface... so all 3 things needed to work to play a game. You needed Origin working, you needed their authentication service working and you needed the server working. It made an amazing game almost impossible to play and a chore to maintain. Don't even get me started on what they did to SWTOR either.

7. Origin had quite a small library of games and the store was always offline, I really hope they at least are a bit more consistent now.

They need to focus on user convenience if they really want to compete. So even though I was super excited about Titanfall, the fact that it is on Origin means I'll skip it... Bummer.
i dont have any of these pointed problems and i played it since ME3 when it was still in the beta stage. are you sure you are talking about origin?

its easy to use just like steam.
you can invite friends who have the game.
it doesnt start at launch of windows and you have the option, like whit steam, if it should start up.
it also dosnt ask for my password every time i log in because i click it should remember my stuff and done, saved.
cant remember seeing origin updating things wile playing.
i never had to go to origin to start BF3. you always start a game from the battlelog.

and to be honest, i had practically no fuss with it. had some problems with steam though like i coulndt connect to it and dint even allow me to play SP games.

@vigormortis
thanks for the info :)

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Elijah Newton said:
Genocidicles said:
the 360 version likely being an inferior version
Has anyone really looked into how the 360 version is going to stack up? I'm psyched about Titanfall and all, but not enough to buy a new console. The cynic in me can see them not putting as much effort into the older console version but on the other hand I remember that Clancy game that straddled the last console generation divide actually being markedly better on the original xbox. Personally I'm not an early adopter of new hardware because I've seen developers handle existing platforms much better.

I've no idea what to make of the two week delay in the 360 release for Titanfall - I can make arguments either way for it.

Anyone else heard anything credible? Thoughts? Opinions?

I heard that the developer of the 360 version is the one that did the ports for the MGS: HD Collection. So I have a bit of hope.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Elijah Newton said:
Genocidicles said:
the 360 version likely being an inferior version
Has anyone really looked into how the 360 version is going to stack up? I'm psyched about Titanfall and all, but not enough to buy a new console. The cynic in me can see them not putting as much effort into the older console version but on the other hand I remember that Clancy game that straddled the last console generation divide actually being markedly better on the original xbox. Personally I'm not an early adopter of new hardware because I've seen developers handle existing platforms much better.

I've no idea what to make of the two week delay in the 360 release for Titanfall - I can make arguments either way for it.

Anyone else heard anything credible? Thoughts? Opinions?
This is a complete assumption on my part mind, but I'd actually think it more likely, despite how much hype the devs are required to heap on the newer, shinier consoles, that they'll have put just as much, if not more effort, into the 360 and PC variants. Unless they're really banking on Titanfall being a system seller, fact is, because the console is so new, the number of Xbones out there will be vastly, vastly dwarfed by the number of 360's and PC's. So, it follows that more people will end up playing Titanfall on those platforms than on the Xbone. With that in mind, it wouldn't be sensible of them to do a half-arsed job of those ports in the name of devoting resources to the least common platform.

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
Sillyrian said:
Titanfall is £45 on Origin.

I'd consider it if the price wasn't extortionate.
There are some sites where they sell it for less, but I guess you have to trust them

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
WMDogma said:
Titanfall is the Most Fun FPS I've Played Since Team Fortress 2

You know what I like about Titanfall? Damn near everything.

Read Full Article
These days, a majority of people want simple video games. Doesn't bode well for the future of gaming. I get the feeling that Paul would dislike Morrowind due to it being "difficult to get to places."

Don't get me wrong; Titanfall looks great. I just don't agree with some of his logic.

Also, unless you're referring to pay-to-win transactions, another playing possessing a "fancier gun" than you does not make it cheap.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
Just a shame there won't be any NZ/AUS/Pacific servers any time soon. The lag in such a fast paced game makes it unplayable to a large degree. Which is a shame, but I am sick of games not supporting the region of the world I live in. We pay more for the games, treat us like equal customers at least.

Playing on PC in the beta, and I love the game, except for how I can't hit most things due to high ping and such. Makes it hard to play.
Yeah, I assumed that this would be the case. I haven't played any MMOs in a big way since moving from the UK because I hate being put at a disadvantage because of latency. I thought that this would be the same. And it is! Oh noooooo

Oh well! At least when we pay more for single player games we get roughly the same experience as everybody else. Luv you, chozo.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
Origin is pretty unintrusive nowadays ... I don't really have a problem with it any more.

That said, still not really interested in Titan Fall.