Titanfall Runs at 792p, 60 FPS on Xbox One

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Zac Jovanovic said:
~snip~
I find it somewhat funny that people report massive FPS drops on consoles when that guy said on twitter that new consoles are twice as powerful as a similar PC (I don't remember who he is but it was reported on Escapist).
~snip~
Seems new generation games are harder to optimize for new consoles than for PCs.

I remember this comment, it was along the lines of;
'next gen consoles are a generation ahead of the most powerful pc's'

and, there's a simpler solution, the marketing department lied.
nobody with experience in hardware or chip design seriously believed claims that system on chip would drastically out-preform a less unified architecture with twice the number of transistors, it's true there are some unique technologies involved but there's no way to beat the enormous bus widths and compute power of a system with 100-150% more transistors
it's completely true that for some processes, and specific mathematical functions soc is the best way to go, so if you want ai that can do mental arithmetic like a boss, then next gen consoles are perfect. ( probably why forza works so well )

but if you want to output pretty graphics at high frame-rates, then you still need bandwidth and transistor count..
the only real alternative is absurdly high clock speeds, but that isn't really possible without a massive power bill and absurd cooling.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Looks fine on my PC.

The problem I have is there are no servers etc near Australia/NZ which means we have to put up with a minimum ping of about 150, usually at 250-300 though.

Dec 16, 2009
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Personally I research something a lot before dropping that much money in to a purchase.
Ain't like we're depriving the Xbone owners of water here. But anyway, not a "they've never seen better, lets deprive them" more a its all they know, I doubt the majority care. From experience, everytime I try to explain the draw backs of current and last gen, console owners (who are my friends) dont really mind.
Not everyone researches their purchases thoroughly. Some people, gasp, expect it to work as advertised. You know, the reason we got laws that say advertisements cant lie. Microsoft has been pushing their "superior power, HD TVs online" propaganda all the way till the launch, no wonder some people got tricked.

And people care. If they didnt graphics wouldnt be such a selling point.
care? maybe.
understand, I'm not too sure.

cut thru the hype though, is it false advertising? The final product, is it doing what it was advertised to do?
I remember the all singing all dancing cloud was gonna revolutionise the gaming industry etc, but when the final product was released, what did they say. I'm sure all that hype had the usual "subject to change" back covering attached to it.

I would say "tricked" is a good word to describe it, although I'd say theres a level of gulibility in not researching such a purchase from an industry with the track record of the gaming industry.

Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
EDIT: just had a quick look, not many 1080 games, infact, I was really chocked by how many were under 720. and very low AA settings indeed
Indeed they performed very poorly. Got to remmeber they are 10 year old machines though. Even despite the fact that PCs could do 1080 even earlier. Thing to note is however that at launch Xbox 360 and PS3 were actually more powerful than your regualr high end PC. This is the first generation where even at launch consoles are already obsolete.
another reason it'll be seen as a step up to the elusive COD crowd, they bring in big money, and they're used to 600 res.
the way the other guy spoke, i was expecting a lot of 1080p games last gen.

Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
BTW; out of curiosity, what do you play on?
Back in 1999 my friend got a PC and showed me a demo for Starcraft. I have been converted into PC master race ever since. My last console was Sega Mega Drive (know to americans who like to rename everything as Sega Genesis). I do have family members and friends who play consoles though and as such i have played on quite a few consoles, even if i dont own one.
I do remmeber when i wanted to get Prototype and a cousin had it on Xbox, it almost made me not to buy the game how horrible it controlled, alas i still got it for PC and enjoyed it.
if you're intersted, I've a PS3 and a Wii U in my living room, on the big screen, and they look good enough, I think thats due to managed expectations and image blur. PS is a glorified bluray player now anyhoo.
in our spare room I've a PC, which is my main gaming machine.

I do see your point. I guess I'm saying from my experience of friends; those who care about res are PC gamers (soo XBone res wont be an issue to them as they'll probably never buy the thing). Those friends who want simple plug n play console fun, will be happy with whats on offer, the new machine with new controller and new bloom/lighting effect will give that next gen appeal.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Mr Ink 5000 said:
cut thru the hype though, is it false advertising? The final product, is it doing what it was advertised to do?
I remember the all singing all dancing cloud was gonna revolutionise the gaming industry etc, but when the final product was released, what did they say. I'm sure all that hype had the usual "subject to change" back covering attached to it.

I would say "tricked" is a good word to describe it, although I'd say theres a level of gulibility in not researching such a purchase from an industry with the track record of the gaming industry.
which is why they are not sued. it technically can do that.
I do agree though that gaming industry has a terrible history of lieing to fans and hyping things up beyond belief.

if you're intersted, I've a PS3 and a Wii U in my living room, on the big screen, and they look good enough, I think thats due to managed expectations and image blur. PS is a glorified bluray player now anyhoo.
Did...did....did you just implied fake motion blur makes things look good?
Theres only one thing that loosk good on PS3 and thats Jeans rendering in TLOU. Im not joking, this is the best rendering of Jeans i have ever seen in games, and im obsessed with jeans so i always notice.

I do see your point. I guess I'm saying from my experience of friends; those who care about res are PC gamers (soo XBone res wont be an issue to them as they'll probably never buy the thing). Those friends who want simple plug n play console fun, will be happy with whats on offer, the new machine with new controller and new bloom/lighting effect will give that next gen appeal.
Some move to PC once they see its graphic appeal yes. There is no easy plug and play, not since the 6the generation and its getting worse. now the consoles got all the downsides of PCs (online patches, DRM, instalation, hardware bugs) without any of the benefits.

As far as the whole "console people dont care about graphics, i think this image puts the point across very well.

SourMilk said:
I'm not too sure whether you're confusing elitism with the "elite" but I did briefly mention that there's advantage with FPS in multiplayer
elite
noun
1. ( often used with a plural verb ) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.
2. ( used with a plural verb ) persons of the highest class: Only the elite were there.

e·lit·ism
noun
1. practice of or belief in rule by an elite.
2. consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.

their not that different.

Granted, word "Elitists" are often misused as an insult (when in reality its a compliment, it says you belong to elite), which is why people sometimes get confused when they fail to insult me by caling me elitist.

Dec 16, 2009
Strazdas said:
I do agree though that gaming industry has a terrible history of lieing to fans and hyping things up beyond belief.
I do think its a lesson all customers should learn the hard way £45?$60 lost on an over hyped game, it is a too cruel when its a lesson learnt(learned?) on a overhyped £400/$500 console/restricted PC.

Did you just implied fake motion blur makes things look good?
Theres only one thing that loosk good on PS3 and thats Jeans rendering in TLOU.
haha, I think it can hide sins, with managed expectations of what consoles can do. What's TLOU ? I'll check it out.

Some move to PC once they see its graphic appeal yes. There is no easy plug and play, not since the 6the generation and its getting worse. now the consoles got all the downsides of PCs (online patches, DRM, instalation, hardware bugs) without any of the benefits.
thats true, couldnt belive how long it took me to get started with the Wii U out the box, and the PS3 updates too often to count. I guess its the legacy of plug and play.
hard to shake off reps; "PC's you need to be a scientist to buld and install and update games, I just wanna play"

As far as the whole "console people dont care about graphics, i think this image puts the point across very well.
ah wow, first time I've seen that and i love it

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Strazdas said:
I do think its a lesson all customers should learn the hard way £45?$60 lost on an over hyped game, it is a too cruel when its a lesson learnt(learned?) on a overhyped £400/$500 console/restricted PC.
Learning a lesson one thing. Allowing lieing as standard practice is another though.

haha, I think it can hide sins, with managed expectations of what consoles can do. What's TLOU ? I'll check it out.
The Last Of Us.

hard to shake off reps; "PC's you need to be a scientist to buld and install and update games, I just wanna play"
Thing is, PCs are so standartized now that if you know how to construct LEGO you can build a PC. Granted you may have to find the right socked MOBO for your CPU but thats probably the hardest part - finding a MOBO that supports your stuff. and there are many websites that automatically check whether parts you picked are compatible and give you links to where to buy them.

Dec 16, 2009
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Strazdas said:
Learning a lesson one thing. Allowing lieing as standard practice is another though.
unfortunately, its the norm. one of the reasons i'm not considering Titanfall until after release

Thing is, PCs are so standartized now that if you know how to construct LEGO you can build a PC. Granted you may have to find the right socked MOBO for your CPU but thats probably the hardest part - finding a MOBO that supports your stuff. and there are many websites that automatically check whether parts you picked are compatible and give you links to where to buy them.
oh yeah, but too many people will be scared off by even THAT!
I quite enjoy it, love the freedom of PC. I understand its DRM although I aint scared by Uplay or Origin, but do prefer Steam if I'm honest.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
SourMilk said:
And somehow this has devolved into a English lesson from someone using Google. I wasn't insulting anyone other than behaviour PC gamers like so mate.
You were the one to tell me im confusing words.
Also i dont exactly understand your second sentence, are you saying that its ok to insult PC gamers or something?

Mr Ink 5000 said:
I quite enjoy it, love the freedom of PC. I understand its DRM although I aint scared by Uplay or Origin, but do prefer Steam if I'm honest.
PC is more than a gaming platform to me, so it would be my choice either way. I am not scared of these services, but i always prefer no-DRM like games from GOG. Bundles does make Steam very useful though.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Strazdas said:
KazeAizen said:
1440p? Never heard of it. "Nice of you console folks to catch up." Do you realize what an arrogant jerk that makes you sound like? That kind of attitude is what pisses console gamers off about PC gamers. If both sides could stop doing crap like you just did we might all be able to get along for once in our lives.

As for the holo decks I was mostly just joking about that. How can you say holo decks are terrible when they don't even exist. Are you joking when you say brainwave reader or are you serious? In case you haven't noticed I am pretty sure no one in the realm of video games is working on anything even remotely similar to a brainwave reader. Of course the omni track is severely limiting in some cases. Now I'm gonna sound like a jerk here but why don't you try and build a consumer prototype of something like that and have it not be limited. I know I sure as heck can't.

I can't believe this UHD is actually a thing. Can't wait for that come. Now I really will be able to count every blade of grass on the screen because you know that's why I've always wanted. *face palms*
just because you never heard of it does not mean its not popular. I havent heard of Gangnam Style untill it had like 3 billion views on youtube already (its over 11 billion now i hear).
Yes, it does sound like arrogant jerk. What should i ahve said instead? Im terribly sorry your consoles sucked for so long? that wouldnt have sounded any better im afraid. The fact is, PCs have done for two decades what consoles are struggling to do now. It may be hard to swallow, sure, does not mean we should lie to ourselves.

I provided arguments why holodecks, as show in the movies, are terrible. yet you failed to respond to said arguments so i hold my ground of them not working in real life situation for anyone buy people with mansions.
Yes, noone is doing brainwave reader. That is because we only recently did a proof-of-concept protptype where a person was able to move a ball inside a "videogame" with his thoughts. but if were talking holodecs were talking the future right?
I never said i could do better than oculus or that its a bad thing at all. merely that it is very limited in its options of games you can play.

You already can count every blade of grass on your screen, provided you got a PC that can run this level of graphics (costs around 600-700 dollars).
I didn't respond to said freaking argument about holo decks because I was freaking joking!

"I'm terribly sorry your consoles sucked for so long." Its called tact, which I'm completely throwing out the window at this point, and not being a complete elitist jerk wad.

You also were implying that you could think of something better and of course the thing is limited in the games it can play now. Its not even released to the public yet and God forbid some very shiny new tech not play ever single game imaginable when it comes out.
We're done here.

Oh and one more thing. We don't freaking NEED 1440p. No one does.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
KazeAizen said:
I didn't respond to said freaking argument about holo decks because I was freaking joking!

"I'm terribly sorry your consoles sucked for so long." Its called tact, which I'm completely throwing out the window at this point, and not being a complete elitist jerk wad.

You also were implying that you could think of something better and of course the thing is limited in the games it can play now. Its not even released to the public yet and God forbid some very shiny new tech not play ever single game imaginable when it comes out.
We're done here.

Oh and one more thing. We don't freaking NEED 1440p. No one does.
Fiar enough, if it was a joke though you cant berate me for saying it would be a terrible idea though, since you got no arguments for why it wouldnt.

Tact is just a passive agressive way of saying what you think without others thinking you did. Also please stop using "elitists" as an insult - its not. The fact of the matter is, consoles are worse than PC, and has been for a while. sugarcoating it will not make it any less obviuos.

You seem to be under the wrong impression that i dislike Oculus Rift. i dont. I think its a good idea, but limited and cannot replace gaming as a whole.

Oh, and one mroe thing. We dont need videogames or computers. No one does. Billions of people live without them.
But guess what? they make our lives better. Just like 1440p makes gaming better.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Glaice said:
So it's useless for beta users on PC to put the game on 1080p or higher..
Not really. If a PC user has a 2560x1440 or 4K display and the hardware to run that resolution, they can go ahead and do it, and it will look prettier.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
I always found picking out the PSU to be the biggest problem. Reliability concerns, listings being unclear about what cables it actually has, the actual number of +12V Rails. At least finding a motherboard with the right socket just requires you to compare two well-documented numbers.

But hell, we're to the point where you only have to use a screwdriver to mount the motherboard and maybe to secure the expansion slots. Everything else just snaps into place when building a desktop. It really is incredibly easy.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
ToastyMozart said:
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
I always found picking out the PSU to be the biggest problem. Reliability concerns, listings being unclear about what cables it actually has, the actual number of +12V Rails. At least finding a motherboard with the right socket just requires you to compare two well-documented numbers.

But hell, we're to the point where you only have to use a screwdriver to mount the motherboard and maybe to secure the expansion slots. Everything else just snaps into place when building a desktop. It really is incredibly easy.
I am aware of peoples stories with reliability of PSU, but i personally never experienced it. I pick a unrated noname PSU and it works for me for 10+ years without hitching all the time. So i personally ahve no incentive to look for "well reviewed PSU" as one in the bargain bin always worked for me just as well.

but yes, building a PC is like building something out of LEGO nowadays. the only actually dangerouns part i can see is placing a CPU into the motherboard, damn those pins are fragile. but i heard Intel is about to make Motherboards with CPUs soldered in by design, so that may also be something a person can avoid if he doesnt want to deal with building.