Titanfall Sequels Could Be on Multiple Platforms

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Titanfall Sequels Could Be on Multiple Platforms

Titanfall is an Xbox- and PC-exclusive, but future sequels could come to other platforms.

Titanfall is not coming to PlayStation or Nintendo platforms - ever. Potential sequels in the series could be on platforms beyond Xbox and PC, Electronic Arts CFO Blake Jorgensen confirmed during the UBS Global Technology Conference. For now, Titanfall will be exclusive to Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC in March 2014.

"I'm sure that there will be future Titanfalls at some point that may be on multiple product platforms," Jorgensen said. " don't know, that's up to the teams that are going through that now. But at the end of the day, we're excited about this Titanfall and we think it will be a big title and it will be great for Xbox One."

The news of Titanfall also tweeted then [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129140-Titanfall-Will-Not-Be-Released-On-PlayStation-4] that Respawn had only found out recently about the Microsoft exclusivity.

It's not a definite that future Titanfall games will be available on multiple platforms, but it's still a possibility. Titanfall is exclusive to Xbox and PC due to a business decision between EA and Microsoft. If Microsoft can make a fantastic offer to EA in the future, a Titanfall sequel may stay on Xbox and PC. If EA thinks it will make more money on a multiple platform release, you can bet they'll take that route instead.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-says-titanfall-sequels-could-come-to-playstation/1100-6416274/]

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Frankly I'd be amazed if future instalments _weren't_ available on all platforms. Zampella didn't exactly sound thrilled about the decision this time, [https://twitter.com/VinceZampella/status/395325209521029120] I'd be suprised (and frankly disappointed) if he didn't ensure EA won't screw him over before making another game.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
There is no way that any game other than the first will be exclusive, because there is no way Microsoft can offer EA what they offered them the first time around - that is, total captivity and control over the consumer audience via the Xbox Ones DRM system.

EA and Microsoft signed the contracts back when Microsoft were screwing over the consumer. Microsoft balked, but EA were still under contract to deliver Titanfall as an exclusive.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Creator: "Titanfall will not be released on the PS4. Ever."

*PS4 sells a million consoles in a single day*

Creator: "Holy Fu-"

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
So we may get sequels to Titanfall on the other plattforms besides XBOX ONE / 360?

But I suppose that's only if the game doesn't suck and/or actually sells enough copies?!

I guess it would be sad if this whole exclusivity-deal blew up in EA's face with the game selling much less copies than expected.
I suppose let's wait and see the adoption rates for the new XBox, but really I couldn't deny a tiny bit of Schadenfreude if the game actually tanked.

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to playing TiFa and I will do so on my PC. But although I feel this game may turn out to be more fun on a console I do not intend to buy an XBone just for this game and I will not buy this game for my 360 (because "meh").

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
So the we get possible sequels on other consoles, eventually some sort of collection is made, then that collection is released on those other consoles and thus those console are able to play the first installment of the series which was "never" coming to that console.
Where have I seen this before...

Well either way it'll be interesting to see if Titanfall takes off like EA hopes it does.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Toadfish1 said:
EA and Microsoft signed the contracts back when Microsoft were screwing over the consumer. Microsoft balked, but EA were still under contract to deliver Titanfall as an exclusive.
Microsoft are rumoured to have paid a significant chunk of the development cost for Titanfall as well, for the first game at least they seem to genuinely believe that this is a system seller the way Halo used to be. Titanfall is online only to begin with so Microsoft reversing their DRM decision doesn't really change anything for EA.

Having said that, if Titanfall is the huge hit everyone (me included) is expecting then number 2 will be multi-platform, just like Mass Effect and Call of Duty, no amount of money one console company can offer would match the income for EA of a true multi platform release.

Not that any of this matters to me, I'll be playing it on PC.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
CriticKitten said:
This is an obvious response to the massive initial sales success of the PS4. A knee-jerk reaction to a perceived "uh oh" scenario. It's only natural that they'd want to leave the door open for future installments just in case the Xbone crashes and burns, which remains a distinct possibility even now.

Incidentally, though, they should probably worry about delivering a really good first game before they start talking about sequels.
It reminds me of when those stories about EA and the Wii U came out when the Xbox One was only a couple of days away from being initially revealed, the May 22 one, and how quickly EA modified their initial statement after that when seeing how the Xbox One was gonna be originally and the outcry that was happening. XD

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Why are sequels even being considered for a game that isn't even out yet? I understand Titanfall is trying to be the new Halo of this generation, but this time, there are actually other games available on the console. No more may-as-well-buy-Halo buyer's remorse from Xbox players to drive sales.

I guess they could be catering to the CoD fans, but then again, we have CoD. Even the original XBox sellers are creating the cross-platform Destiny.

If Titanfall ends up being overshadowed by other games and ends up being a financial mediocrity for its inflated budget, it's going to be catastrophic when the sequels, spinoffs, and mobile games are all cancelled.

Mar 26, 2008
They said the original Mass Effect would "never" come to the PS3, yet here we are. Mind you if Titanfall does anywhere near as well as it's expected to do Microsoft might be keen to lock this one down.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Dear God, no! Aww, come on! WHY!? And here I was, so happy that the PS4 wouldn't have yet another grey and brown generic shooter. Great. I know Sony doesn't have any control over this, but how about you guys try and get Bayonetta 2 on the system (or bring back Valkyria Chronicles) before a samey FPS that will in all liklohood suck baffling amounts of ass.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
They way many of the MS interviews dropped Titanfall's name you'd think it was the golden goose. It's getting as much attention as the Xbox One itself, yet the game isn't out yet. It's the same hype train that PS4 is selling on it's games. All games have potential, but if it will realize said potential is another issue entirely. I say it's possible, can't go wrong with mechs and jetpacks. But too much hype and lead to disappointments should the game fail to deliver. I won't lie; I'm very interested in the game. Not enough to buy an Xbox One, mind you, but still it has promise.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I thought it was already going to be on multiple platforms, both the Xbox and PC unless that changed and I didn't notice. I've not exactly been keeping up with titanfall news

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This was always going to happen. It's why third-party exclusives are almost always inherently stupid. How many did the 360 have that found clauses to eventually be rereleased and had their sequels go multiplatform?

It happens for a very logical business reason. A launch title can at it's very best sell, what, 1 million units? Because there are only 1 million consoles out there to buy the game. So if Microsoft can pay for 1 million units of a game, it makes more sense to go exclusive and benefit from the advertising and reliable money. Microsoft will do it because it sells consoles at an important time.

Whereas 5 years in a game like Titanfall could expect to sell 5 million units on each console. There's no way Microsoft can afford that money and so exclusivity isn't worth it.

If this doesn't happen it probably means that publisher was being stupid about it's business strategy (coughepicgamescough)

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm not surprised. As others have mentioned, Mass Effect was a thing. I'd be more surprised if it didn't do that.

Toadfish1 said:
There is no way that any game other than the first will be exclusive, because there is no way Microsoft can offer EA what they offered them the first time around - that is, total captivity and control over the consumer audience via the Xbox Ones DRM system.

As far as I know, Titanfall was only a timed exclusive originally. They made a deal to make it exclusive more recently.
Fox12 said:
Creator: "Titanfall will not be released on the PS4. Ever."

*PS4 sells a million consoles in a single day*

Creator: "Holy Fu-"
Actually, from what I heard, the developer is pissed about the exclusivity. Seems they were already working on the PS4 version and learned of the exclusive deal at the same time as everyone else. In other words, EA screwed them over and Microsoft paid with their firstborn sons to make the deal happen.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Saltyk said:
Actually, from what I heard, the developer is pissed about the exclusivity. Seems they were already working on the PS4 version and learned of the exclusive deal at the same time as everyone else. In other words, EA screwed them over and Microsoft paid with their firstborn sons to make the deal happen.
Really? I actually feel bad for the developers then, but I guess that's just EA being EA.

In any case I think this is just a case of EA backing the wrong horse. The Xbox will do well, of course, but there's literally no chance of EA refusing to release what's sure to be one of their biggest hits on the best opening console of all time. I would be astonished if the sequels weren't released on other consoles. Heck, even the first Mass Effect is available on PSN now.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I hope this flops on the XBO badly along with the console. After what MS tried to pull they deserve nothing but failure as a warning to future consoles.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
LysanderNemoinis said:
NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Dear God, no! Aww, come on! WHY!? And here I was, so happy that the PS4 wouldn't have yet another grey and brown generic shooter. Great. I know Sony doesn't have any control over this, but how about you guys try and get Bayonetta 2 on the system (or bring back Valkyria Chronicles) before a samey FPS that will in all liklohood suck baffling amounts of ass.
While I probably wouldn't be too heartbroken if I never play another FPS games, and would definitely love to see Bayo 2 and another Valkyria game, it doesn't seem like Titanfall will suck. Especially not for the type of person who likes the genre, and will probably have a pretty high level of polish to it.