Titanfall Won't Have Micro-Transactions, According to Respawn

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Titanfall Won't Have Micro-Transactions, According to Respawn

Respawn confirms Titanfall won't have micro-transactions, and there's still no news on a Season Pass.

While most games these days have micro-transactions and DLC ready to be purchased before the actual game's out, that won't be the case with Titanfall -- at least not yet. Over on Twitter [https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/426076356703567872], the official Respawn account has revealed that Titanfall won't have micro-transactions and that the studio doesn't have any news on a Season Pass.

no microtransactions. I don't have any news on a season pass

Of course, this doesn't mean there won't be micro-transactions released ever, just that there's nothing planned now. Honestly, what's surprising to me is that Respawn nor EA has announced a Season Pass for Titanfall, since the business model fits right in with multiplayer shooters. Unless map packs and DLC aren't in the cards, which is highly unlikely.

In other Titanfall news, Respawn load-outs for both Pilots and Titans work [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131619-Respawn-Titanfall-6v6-Criticism-Comes-From-Assumptions], too.

Do you think Titanfall won't have micro-transactions or EA just hasn't implemented it yet?

Source: MP1st [https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/426076356703567872]

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
You know that the industry is in a sad state for consumers when developers have to confirm to us that there won't be microtransactions in a game that already costs full price...

misg

Apr 13, 2013
It is sad, but I am glad they aren't going that route hopefully this will be a hugely successful game and help gaming companies realize that microtransactions aren't the great thing they think they are. (btw I'm mostly talking about the marketing departments)

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
Doesn't meant there wont be a metric ton of DLC, sure there might not be weapon skin packs or its ill but they just could add tons of macro transactions like map parks

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
No microtransactions OR season pass? EA is up to something really fishy here.

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time EA outright lied about their games *cough simcity cough*

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Genocidicles said:
I'll believe that when I see it. It's being published by EA after all.
Yep, same. I gather Season Pass or map packs are a lock for a shooter like this one, no?

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Season passes don't fit right in for me. I'm not buying a game twice. I'd rather wait for the complete edition a year later.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
"Instead we are pioneering a new parodyne in game-consumer interaction. Macrotransactions! Now you'll be expected to fork over no less than a double digit dollar value for all DLC, including the limited edition 'Texturepack' addon that adds textures on objects into the game!"

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Wow, this must be the first major release that doesn't have either for a really long time. There is probably going to be some DLC, but I don't mind that.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Glad it doesn't do micro trans but I'm hoping to god it doesn't do any season pass bullshit, the game has me hooked and I don't want to have to pay more money in order to enjoy a game.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well that might be your plan but master EA hasn't cracked it's last whip now has he, I wouldn't for a second think they intend to deliver anything close to the full package for the low price of 60$.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
Well, that's one step in the right direction.

Next step: making sure that new multi-player maps are released for free.

tranceformat

Mar 14, 2012
So thats a thing now huh?Developers have to explicitly state that there will NOT be microtransactions,thats how common it is.
Whatever happened to boasting about game features?I remeber back-of-the-box blurbs saying that there will be better graphics or more tits,possibly more guns - this is getting ridiculous
I dont partake in the AAA gaming..thing since I cant afford it but it seems its now standard to release a game costing 60$ and having the features of a shite F2P game where 99% of the content is only open for the good little boys and girls with nothing better to do with limited control of their parents income than spending it on a game with the lifetime of about two weeks

Aug 1, 2010
Sight Unseen said:
You know that the industry is in a sad state for consumers when developers have to confirm to us that there won't be microtransactions in a game that already costs full price...
I was thinking precisely this when I saw the title of this story.

It's like a restaurant putting a sign in the window that says "Our food is not made of diseased rats".

The sort of thing that we should really be able to assume without worry.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
I don't mind DLC so much if it's actual value like expansion packs in the past, but microtransactions absolutely do not belong inside of a fully priced AAA game.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Weaver said:
It will just be a 300 hour progression treadmill instead. Yay.
well, in a muliplayer game you supposedly enjoy, 300 progression isnt a bad thing. you always got something to look up for and meanwhile you can enjoy yourself havign fun already. If it turns into 300 hours of borin grinding - then yes it will be bad. but ive played games who probably would take 3000 hours to unlck everything if not more and i managed to enjoy myself a lot with things i unlocked in 10 hours. in fact these thins are more enjoyable than the thing i unlocked after 200 hours so yeah.