Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
undeadsuitor said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Ogoid said:
Samtemdo8 said:
But why did they cast an afro actor as Starfire when the charcater clearly did not look like an afro-american person
Eh, Starfire's an alien,
So is Superman.
we need a mexican superman raised by immigrant farmers to make conservative heads explode
Or again, make him a black man and have the racists come out of the closet and revolt.
A film based on Earth 2? Im in.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
So is Superman.
Right, but less obviously so. Superman obviously, from the comics, passes as a light-skinned Western human being.

undeadsuitor said:
You say this as if accuracy to source material guarantees quality.
...Yeah, no, I'm pretty sure I'm just saying this as if a given actor (in the least) physically resembling the character they're portraying was a reasonable expectation. Which I feel is, if nothing else, a rationally defensible position.

also you're pretty blind if you think this has just started in 2018. Heimdall was black in Thor, a movie that came out in 2011. virgins bitched and whines and sent Idra hatemail.......and then he preceded to be the best character in those movies to the point killing him in Infinity War was a gut punch opening because people cared about him. Every marvel AND dc movie has their "character that was white thats now something else" casting, partially because comics are an artifact of their quasi-racist times
Heimdall was, before Jack Kirby made him into a comic character, an actual figure in the culture and folklore of people who were, quite conspicuously, not black.

Could one conceivably give the role of, I don't know, Baron Samedi or Ogoun Ferraille, to a non-black actor, if some comic book creator had made them into comic book characters a couple of decades before? Possibly. Would I still think it just as dumb? Yes; yes I would.

I mean, all this focus on black star fire is odd given that beast boy in Titans is half asian, not green, nor will he be changing into animals as much as his comic book counterpart does (for logical budget reasons)

wheres his hate mail
I mean, if you're asking me, yes, it's just as dumb. As for where his hate mail is, I'd put a good amount of money on its being right there - just not quite as profitable to blog about.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Johnlives said:
Agent_Z said:
I did a ctrl-f on both the links you gave, that word didn't come up. Is this related to that "Fuck Batman" trailer that came on the other day, that was hilariously bad.
What?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Agent_Z said:
Samtemdo8 said:
But why did they cast an afro actor as Starfire when the charcater clearly did not look like an afro-american person, haven't these hollywood types learned from similar controversies by now? They made The Human Torch a black guy in Fant4stic, even though he's supposed to be the twin brother of Invisable Woman and Invisable Woman is still a blonde haired white woman in the movie.

And don't bring up the fact that Starfire is an Alien, because Superman is an Alien, and can you imagine if they made Superman black in a mainstream big budget Movie? Holy shit the racists will rise up and revolt!

But regardless, yeah fuck those jerks racially insulting her either way.
Sue and Johnny aren't twins.

As for Kory, she isn't exactly a white woman in the comics, so the race of the actress shouldn't matter. No one seemed bothered when they cast Zoe Saldana as Gamora who is green.
Could have sworn they were twins in certain artstyles of them in the comics, but they are brother and sister. Unless in Fant4stic they are not or they are step brother and sister?

And I think they did not mind Zoe Saldana as Gamora becausde she is not dressed like a street hooker with big curly hair?
Even if they were twins, twins can be black and white btw.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sister-act-2/
https://www.today.com/parents/rare-biracial-twins-surprise-black-dad-white-mom-t107380
You can also have a black child born to white parents and white children born to black parents. It is not common, but does happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_Laing
https://nypost.com/2010/07/21/blond-bombshell/
https://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/world/2011-05-17-black-parents-shocked-when-son-was-born-white/

Apr 17, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
But why did they cast an afro actor as Starfire when the charcater clearly did not look like an afro-american person
Starfire is orange and her hair also becomes fire. What Earth-based ethnicity do you think she looks like, exactly?

Frankly I thought casting a black actress was a good choice. Starfire is the only real alien of the group, and would have experienced prejudices both on her own world (possibly) and on ours (undoubtedly) that the others hadn't experienced (especially with no Cyborg on the team) so having an actress who has actually faced discrimination only helps sell it

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Palindromemordnilap said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Starfire is orange and her hair also becomes fire. What Earth-based ethnicity do you think she looks like, exactly?

Frankly I thought casting a black actress was a good choice. Starfire is the only real alien of the group, and would have experienced prejudices both on her own world (possibly) and on ours (undoubtedly) that the others hadn't experienced (especially with no Cyborg on the team) so having an actress who has actually faced discrimination only helps sell it
But see, that's my problem. That is a very valid point about discrimination, but black people are hardly the only discriminated ethnicity. Could we not have gotten a Southern American actress? Southeast Asian? Middle Eastern?

From the perspective of someone who isn't white or black or from the West (yeah so basically I'm Asian), it's frustrating to see these attempts at diversity and representation constantly end up as just making a traditionally white character black.

I mean I get that this set in the US and made in the US, so African Americans need to be represented, but sometimes its done so poorly. It feels like they decided that they needed a black character, and because Cyborg is off in the JL (dumbest decision ever in my opinion), Starfire is now black.

Hell, there are so many other characters they could have had if they wanted to represent the black community. Aqualad, Herald, Bumblebee, Kid FLash, all characters who are actually African American. They could have had one of those characters as well a comic book accurate Starfire (portrayed by an up and coming actress from Asia perhaps) for her first ever live action appearance.

That said, the fuck is wrong with these people? Be angry at her casting, sure, but why insult and attack the actress? Direct your fury, if you must, at the directors and producers who made that decision.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Bob_McMillan said:
But see, that's my problem. That is a very valid point about discrimination, but black people are hardly the only discriminated ethnicity. Could we not have gotten a Southern American actress? Southeast Asian? Middle Eastern?

From the perspective of someone who isn't white or black or from the West (yeah so basically I'm Asian), it's frustrating to see these attempts at diversity and representation constantly end up as just making a traditionally white character black.
This series has a Beast Boy played by a Japanese-American actor. The upcoming Aquaman movie has the titular character played by a man of Native Hawaiin and Native American heritage. Spider-Man: Homecoming had Ned Leeds played by a Filipino-American actor and Flash Thompson played by a Guatemalan actor. Agents of SHIELD has Daisy Johnson who is white in the comics be played by Chinese-American actress Chloe Bennett aka Chloe Wang.

It isn?t just black actors cast as white characters.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Bob_McMillan said:
Samtemdo8 said:

I mean I get that this set in the US and made in the US, so African Americans need to be represented, but sometimes its done so poorly. It feels like they decided that they needed a black character, and because Cyborg is off in the JL (dumbest decision ever in my opinion), Starfire is now black.

Hell, there are so many other characters they could have had if they wanted to represent the black community. Aqualad, Herald, Bumblebee, Kid FLash, all characters who are actually African American. They could have had one of those characters as well a comic book accurate Starfire (portrayed by an up and coming actress from Asia perhaps) for her first ever live action appearance.

That said, the fuck is wrong with these people? Be angry at her casting, sure, but why insult and attack the actress? Direct your fury, if you must, at the directors and producers who made that decision.
There is more to it than just that though. There is a call for Black female role models due to the issues black females deal with in current society that is not experienced on the same scale by other races. Asian, white and Latina women are considered Most desirable for a mate and to be most attractive currently according to numerous studies and are not discriminated against at the same level as Black women. Even among Black women women who are darker than others are discriminated against more than lighter skinned black women. Due to this social conditioning, black girls themselves see themselves as " less than" others or " bad or dirty" and this is having a huge impact on how they view themselves and how they view their ability to achieve.

Although Asian women are considered to be very attractive by society, Asian men are not enjoying the same attention. Black women and Asian Men are currently considered the least desirable for dating, although Asian men do not have the additional numerous other intersecting issues as black females currently do , so Asian men are still a bit better off overall than Black women.

This is part of what also has to be addressed as a society:
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/09/575352051/least-desirable-how-racial-discrimination-plays-out-in-online-dating
https://corescholar.libraries.wright.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1909&context=etd_all
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2013/10/10/essence-black-women-still-poorly-depicted-in-media/
https://www.newstatesman.com/society/2013/10/colourism-why-even-black-people-have-problem-dark-skin
https://www.theroot.com/little-black-girls-are-killing-themselves-does-anyone-1821311893

By giving young black girls and teens more superheroes and role models and depictions of beauty, hopefully one day society and the girls themslves will no longer see themselves in the negative way they often do.

Apr 17, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
Samtemdo8 said:

I'd support her being those ethnicities too, and for the exact same reason. She's an orange alien, trying to insist she be played only by a white actress is ridiculous. However I do feel your argument somewhat cuts both ways. If they want an Asian minority actor in a role, there's a few actually Asian comic book roles they could go for just the same as they could go for black characters. I don't think turning things into a game of "who's the most minor minority" helps

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I mean, if they wanted an African American super hero in the Titans, Static Shock would have been an obvious choice.

I think Starfire would probably have been better played by an Asian or even a Persian/Arab woman. But this is a corporation involved and they have learned that nontroversy generates more media attention than genuine marketing.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
This is about as stupid as the peop,e complaining about TFA's black stormtrooper, sheesh.

"Diversity washing" an orange space alien, fuck's sake.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Casting an African American actress to play a character who's typically depicted as orange-skinned character with caucasian features and green eyes is obviously a stretch, regardless of acting ability.

It seems that they didn't really make any effort to even make her look like the character she's supposed to be.

If anything, I'd say saying "You're African American, she's alien, same thing" is pretty racist really.

Sep 24, 2008
The Lunatic said:
Casting an African American actress to play a character who's typically depicted as orange-skinned character with caucasian features and green eyes is obviously a stretch, regardless of acting ability.

It seems that they didn't really make any effort to even make her look like the character she's supposed to be.

If anything, I'd say saying "You're African American, she's alien, same thing" is pretty racist really.
This is surprising to me, because I never thought she had Caucasian features. In fact, I thought she looked passably human.

Given that she comes from a race descended from felines [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Tamaraneans], are you saying that to look vaguely cat like is the same as looking Caucasian?

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
The Lunatic said:

This is surprising to me, because I never thought she had Caucasian features. In fact, I thought she looked passably human.

Given that she comes from a race descended from felines [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Tamaraneans], are you saying that to look vaguely cat like is the same as looking Caucasian?
Typical depictions in media and such have her looking pretty causasian looking. Minus the skin tone and glowing green eyes.

Tamaran's in general are often depicted as having typically caucasoid features, jaw in-line with forehead, narrow nose, wavey hair, that sorta thing.

Not to say that they can't be depicted differently, but, typically they're given these features for whatever reason.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
I think starfire (and beast boy) are poor choices to try to play as for a live action film. A live action starfire could work, if they went the Gamora route from Guardians of the Galaxy. Granted ive only seen a few pictures, and its pre production, but the actress who plays starfire doesnt really fit the bill body wise either. She is pretty broad and muscular (kinda the opposite problem i had with gal gadot as wonder woman who was too skinny and not muscular enough)

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Ryotknife said:
I think starfire (and beast boy) are poor choices to try to play as for a live action film. A live action starfire could work, if they went the Gamora route from Guardians of the Galaxy. Granted ive only seen a few pictures, and its pre production, but the actress who plays starfire doesnt really fit the bill body wise either. She is pretty broad and muscular (kinda the opposite problem i had with gal gadot as wonder woman who was too skinny and not muscular enough)
Wonder Woman typically is not muscular.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
But why did they cast an afro actor as Starfire when the charcater clearly did not look like an afro-american person, haven't these hollywood types learned from similar controversies by now? They made The Human Torch a black guy in Fant4stic, even though he's supposed to be the twin brother of Invisable Woman and Invisable Woman is still a blonde haired white woman in the movie.

And don't bring up the fact that Starfire is an Alien, because Superman is an Alien, and can you imagine if they made Superman black in a mainstream big budget Movie? Holy shit the racists will rise up and revolt!

But regardless, yeah fuck those jerks racially insulting her either way.
"Hollywood" is really the only industry which is allowed to discriminate an actor based upon their looks. From height,weight,sex,age and even down to an actor's race. The casting directors have the power from the studio to decide who gets parts based upon what the studios are looking for. It is the only reason why actors are forced to have headshots attached to their acting resume when they audition.

In other words the actor was picked mainly for her skills and that of her looks, which fit in line to what the studio wants.A project which is aiming with a multi cultural group to pull sales numbers from those demographics , nothing more.

Also when you sign a deal with a studio under contract the studio holds the picture rights. Meaning they can change the story ,characters anyway they want to sell. ( A perfect example )is Ghost in the Shell and how the studio mashed the story lines together and hired a white actress to play Kusanagi.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Ogoid said:
Heimdall was, before Jack Kirby made him into a comic character, an actual figure in the culture and folklore of people who were, quite conspicuously, not black.
That's true, but it's a liberty among dozens of liberties that Marvel has taken with Norse mythology. Complaining about Heimdall being black in the MCU is like complaining that Horus is white in Gods of Egypt - silly criticisms in settings that are simply taking inspiration from mythology rather than trying to fully adapt it.

And yes, I know people have complained about both of those choices, doesn't make either set of complaining particuarly valid in my eyes.

The Lunatic said:
What about Starfire screams "caucasian?" Again, ORANGE ALIEN. And green eyes? Sure, they're most common to Europeans. I highly doubt that the success of depicting Starfire is going to reside on the actress's eye colour.

Complaining about a black actress playing an orange-skinned alien is like complaining about Zoe Zaldana playing characters like Gamora or Neytiri. Newsflash, green and blue skin colours don't exist in humans.

The Lunatic said:
Typical depictions in media and such have her looking pretty causasian looking. Minus the skin tone and glowing green eyes.

Sorry, but looking at those images, they don't look caucasian to me. They don't really look like any human ethnic group, period.