"Titans" Actress Anna Diop Has Been Hit With Racist Insults

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
Hawki said:
What about Starfire screams "caucasian?" Again, ORANGE ALIEN. And green eyes? Sure, they're most common to Europeans. I highly doubt that the success of depicting Starfire is going to reside on the actress's eye colour.

Complaining about a black actress playing an orange-skinned alien is like complaining about Zoe Zaldana playing characters like Gamora or Neytiri. Newsflash, green and blue skin colours don't exist in humans.
Except they actually made an attempt (damn good one too) to depict Gamora and Neytiri is an original character to the film.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
ex951753 said:
Except they actually made an attempt (damn good one too) to depict Gamora and Neytiri is an original character to the film.
Hardly one to comment, but sure, MCU Gamora seems more true to her comic originator.

Question is, does that failure excuse harassment of the actress behind that character?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Are they going to paint her orange and give her red hair? Then I don't care what color is under the costume.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Using shocking words for effect or questioning her choice as Starfire is not racism though.
She didn't choose Starfire's new look though. That makes anything harsher than questioning directed to her as undeserved, hateful and shameful as racism.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I am shocked, SHOCKED that nerds are proving to be trash.

The embarrassing costuming decisions on this show aren't her fault.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Agent_Z said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Agent_Z said:
Samtemdo8 said:
But why did they cast an afro actor as Starfire when the charcater clearly did not look like an afro-american person, haven't these hollywood types learned from similar controversies by now? They made The Human Torch a black guy in Fant4stic, even though he's supposed to be the twin brother of Invisable Woman and Invisable Woman is still a blonde haired white woman in the movie.

And don't bring up the fact that Starfire is an Alien, because Superman is an Alien, and can you imagine if they made Superman black in a mainstream big budget Movie? Holy shit the racists will rise up and revolt!

But regardless, yeah fuck those jerks racially insulting her either way.
Sue and Johnny aren't twins.

As for Kory, she isn't exactly a white woman in the comics, so the race of the actress shouldn't matter. No one seemed bothered when they cast Zoe Saldana as Gamora who is green.
Could have sworn they were twins in certain artstyles of them in the comics, but they are brother and sister. Unless in Fant4stic they are not or they are step brother and sister?

And I think they did not mind Zoe Saldana as Gamora becausde she is not dressed like a street hooker with big curly hair?
They're adoptive siblings in Fan4stic. Sue is adopted.

Also, take a look at what Kory looks like in the comics and tell me that "street hooker with big curly hair" doesn't describe her.
Indeed :p

oh my god she literally put a logo on her crotch

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
undeadsuitor said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Ogoid said:
Samtemdo8 said:
But why did they cast an afro actor as Starfire when the charcater clearly did not look like an afro-american person
Eh, Starfire's an alien,
So is Superman.
we need a mexican superman raised by immigrant farmers to make conservative heads explode
Or again, make him a black man and have the racists come out of the closet and revolt.
A Val-Zod or Cal Ellis Superman movie would be awesome.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
Hawki said:
ex951753 said:
Hardly one to comment, but sure, MCU Gamora seems more true to her comic originator.

Question is, does that failure excuse harassment of the actress behind that character?
I never said it did, but as long as anonymity exists on the internet, you will have shit posters.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Agent_Z said:
Samtemdo8 said:
But why did they cast an afro actor as Starfire when the charcater clearly did not look like an afro-american person, haven't these hollywood types learned from similar controversies by now? They made The Human Torch a black guy in Fant4stic, even though he's supposed to be the twin brother of Invisable Woman and Invisable Woman is still a blonde haired white woman in the movie.

And don't bring up the fact that Starfire is an Alien, because Superman is an Alien, and can you imagine if they made Superman black in a mainstream big budget Movie? Holy shit the racists will rise up and revolt!

As for Kory, she isn't exactly a white woman in the comics, so the race of the actress shouldn't matter. No one seemed bothered when they cast Zoe Saldana as Gamora who is green.
I honestly don't really care that she is black.

I care that their version of Starfire looks like a cheap hooker from the bad part of town and absolutely nothing like the character at all other than color scheme.

Starfire from TT as a teenager is supposed to basically be the really beautiful, super-popular and super-happy girl from high school we all knew or were familiar with the idea of.

Adult Starfire from the comics/movies is supposed to be absurdly beautiful and graceful, to the point where she makes men forget how to do words and is compared to Diana/WW.

It's not the casting of a black person that is a fail - it's making Starfire look horrible that is the fail.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Saelune said:
Are they going to paint her orange and give her red hair? Then I don't care what color is under the costume.
This. This is what I came here to say. As far as I care, it worked for Gamora, it will likely work for Starfire.

The only problem I have ever had in casting was with Idris Elba being cast as Roland in The Dark Tower. And I'm sure he was awesome, but I still was confused and frustrated (haven't gotten around to seeing it, but it's not a boycott or anything, I've just been really busy).

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Paragon Fury said:
Agent_Z said:
Samtemdo8 said:

I honestly don't really care that she is black.

I care that their version of Starfire looks like a cheap hooker from the bad part of town and absolutely nothing like the character at all other than color scheme.

Starfire from TT as a teenager is supposed to basically be the really beautiful, super-popular and super-happy girl from high school we all knew or were familiar with the idea of.

Adult Starfire from the comics/movies is supposed to be absurdly beautiful and graceful, to the point where she makes men forget how to do words and is compared to Diana/WW.

It's not the casting of a black person that is a fail - it's making Starfire look horrible that is the fail.
I'm amazed how people keep calling this version of Kory a hooker considering how the comic version dresses.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
the December King said:
This. This is what I came here to say. As far as I care, it worked for Gamora, it will likely work for Starfire.

The only problem I have ever had in casting was with Idris Elba being cast as Roland in The Dark Tower. And I'm sure he was awesome, but I still was confused and frustrated (haven't gotten around to seeing it, but it's not a boycott or anything, I've just been really busy).
Particularly when ethnicity was a factor in Roland's relation with other characters, i.e. Detta Walker... not that I think there was a snowball's chance in hell they'd include her in a Hollywood film these days.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
McMarbles said:
I am shocked, SHOCKED that nerds are proving to be trash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vIBijzg4w

undeadsuitor said:
Advanced alien technology, gets unschakled with a screwdriver.

Logic!

Jan 27, 2011
Eh, big and tough looking black Starfire got a shrug out of me. The fact people are launching racial slurs at her online makes me facepalm as per usual. Seriously why do people make such a big stink about stuff like this?

Honestly, it barely registered for me because I was cringing so bad at the rest of the "Desperately trying to be edgy" trailer.

Hell, if we're talking stuff that doesn't line up with the comics/old show, I was more offended at Raven losing her trademark snark defense mechanism to be a terrified waif, or Beast Boy literally just having glowing green eyes to-

undeadsuitor said:
I mean, all this focus on black star fire is odd given that beast boy in Titans is half asian, not green, nor will he be changing into animals as much as his comic book counterpart does (for logical budget reasons)
That's it. That's the last straw, the whole thing completely sucks, I want to anti-watch this thing.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Paragon Fury said:
Why did you say that extremely contradictory sentence? I love Starfire but I hate to say it, her dressing like a hooker from the bad part of town is par for the course. I mean have you seen the pictures of her from the comic in this thread?
The Lunatic said:
ObsidianJones said:
The Lunatic said:
Casting an African American actress to play a character who's typically depicted as orange-skinned character with caucasian features and green eyes is obviously a stretch, regardless of acting ability.

It seems that they didn't really make any effort to even make her look like the character she's supposed to be.

If anything, I'd say saying "You're African American, she's alien, same thing" is pretty racist really.
This is surprising to me, because I never thought she had Caucasian features. In fact, I thought she looked passably human.

Given that she comes from a race descended from felines [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Tamaraneans], are you saying that to look vaguely cat like is the same as looking Caucasian?
Typical depictions in media and such have her looking pretty causasian looking. Minus the skin tone and glowing green eyes.

Tamaran's in general are often depicted as having typically caucasoid features, jaw in-line with forehead, narrow nose, wavey hair, that sorta thing.

Not to say that they can't be depicted differently, but, typically they're given these features for whatever reason.
Yeah, gotta second that they don't look Caucasian at all. If anything they look more like old Indians painted orange.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
erttheking said:
Yeah, gotta second that they don't look Caucasian at all. If anything they look more like old Indians painted orange.
You're probably thinking of arya varna, which is where we derive the term "Aryan".
There's a reason for that.

The evolution of what we consider caucasian starts... In the Caucasus mountains.

And expands to Europe and North India, eventually forming what we consider to be "Europeans" and also the Caste system in India whereby people are more or less "ranked" by how much linage they have to that original bloodline.

As such, old images depicting Indians were likely of kings, noblemen and other higher-ranking members of society, which would typically be higher caste individuals.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The Lunatic said:
Casting an African American actress to play a character who's typically depicted as orange-skinned character with caucasian features and green eyes is obviously a stretch, regardless of acting ability.

It seems that they didn't really make any effort to even make her look like the character she's supposed to be.

If anything, I'd say saying "You're African American, she's alien, same thing" is pretty racist really.
I was going to say the same thing as Obsidian. But I would have gone with she more Asian looking. Mind you, I've only seen her in shows, not comics, if that makes a difference.

Edit: Just realised this went for another page