TLOU2 Review Thread

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Getting downvoted for my opinion on how this game is art and told I am sucking Druckmann's dick by hardcore weebs tends to validate my argument.
The game isn't out yet... We don't have a downvote function on these forums. How do you know they're weebs? What on God's green Earth do weebs have to do with the alt-right?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Speaking of ACG...

Pointing out the bullshit on both sides. Context matters is the key.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gyrobot

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Well, when I first played the original’s demo I remember it felt like nothing else out there. Definitely not like any Uncharted in terms of movement or melee. Maybe the Arkham games were the closest in terms of melee and that was still pretty slapstick next to how TLoU was presented.

For one there was a clear sense of urgency and aggression with how you could sprint up to an enemy to finish them off after throwing a bottle at them, or running away when you’re outgunned. The deliberate weightiness and inertia given to the act of punching where it feels like exertion is a factor and the hits actually sound like flesh and bone colliding, or smashing a 2x4 over someone’s frame is translated from the screen to the controller better than anything else maybe even to this day. Unless Part 2 improves upon it which it likely could.

Part 2 was co-written by the lead writer for season one of Westworld, which is arguably still the best in that series. She spent 13 months on that show but 3.5 years on this game. She said writing for TV is like playing Call of Duty and working on videogames is like going to war. I’m not sure how much of her work will translate into the final game, but from interviews it sounds like there was a pretty symbiotic relationship with Neil Druckmann.

As an aside I never understood why everyone praises Amy Hennig’s writing as being some kind of industry standard-bearer when to me it’s always just seemed like fluffy popcorn flick stuff, like it was meant for a Disney movie. Actually some Disney movies are more impressive thematically. The first two stories were enjoyable and well done of course, but ultimately had nothing interesting to say beyond “well that was fun”. When UC3 tried giving Nate dramatic depth it just felt awkward and forced; maybe because the first two games never established him to be more than a pulpy, affable adventurer.
Naughty Dog does polish the shit out of what they do. The melee, like you say, is deliberate and very meaty, but mechanically it is just mashing square. IIRC the 1st Uncharted had you do a simple 3-button combo (square-triangle-square?) that I believe had to be timed properly in the midst of a frantic gunfight and it had the most satisfying melee in the series. And, the shooting is very functional but messes up a lot of little things, and never really feels as smooth or exacting as other games. Mass Effect 3's shooting actually feels better than Uncharted or TLOU. I recall the best feeling weapon in TLOU being the bow actually because I loved having to compensate for drop and lead the target and getting that headshot felt really good.

Anyone that's better the typically below average writing that most games have is seen as better than they actually are.

It seemed to me that he didn't think the gameplay itself was terrible but that very little is advanced from the gameplay of the original. As far as character go though, like I said, we won't know whether he's being accurate or not till the embargo lifts.
Skillup is accurate as long as you believe he gave his honest opinion. You loving the story doesn't make his opinion inaccurate. Siskel & Ebert would quite often disagree about movies, there's nothing wrong with that.

For example, I like Killer Is Dead, but can see it's flaws in plain level design, QTEitis, and some boring mini games with the gigolo missions. Most fans liked it fine, and on the Steam page, most gamers liked it and converted them or got them interested in to Grasshoppers others works. To the extent that Suda's older titles are now on Steam too: Silver Case and Killer 7.
This Suda reference reminded me of this worst SNES endings video that I just watched a couple days back. Apparently Suda wrote a really messed up ending to a wrestling game for the SNES.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Speaking of ACG...

Pointing out the bullshit on both sides. Context matters is the key.
Yeah, exactly. A game review is basically just an argument and the support for that argument is key. I love his point about getting just 10 people to agree on a Star Wars movie or where to eat. Yet a near 100 people somehow all like a game so very much that the average score is a 96 (TLOU2 currently)? And this a game that is both basically a game and a movie in one and there's basically 0 disagreement on its quality? I don't think I'd rate any PS4 game I played at a 96 honestly. Movies very rarely get something like a 96 on RottenTomatoes and that's just the percentage of critics that LIKED the movie, the 96 is not at all the average score. And movies, of course, just have to be good for like 90 minutes and they don't have any game part to them either.

I think you quoted the wrong person.
Huh? You quoted Shinji who was talking about Skillup's review and you said we'll see if he was being accurate when the embargo lifts.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Huh? You quoted Shinji who was talking about Skillup's review and you said we'll see if he was being accurate when the embargo lifts.
But I didn't say I loved the story, I don't have an opinion on the story since I haven't played it and no reviewer has actually talked about the story in full yet.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
You'd maybe have a point if Sony only gave review codes to the large review sites, the ones prone to give Sony exlussives a lot more leniency. But there are dozens of smaller channels with subscriptions "only" in the triple digits that got review codes as well. Sony would have no idea what their track record is, if they were even aware of their existence at all before sending a review code.

And again, this didn't stop Skillup, Polygon, and Vice. Three relatively well know sites.
A Twitch streamer i follow shittalks Druckmann on social media because of the crunch controversy. Still got his key from Sony.
You were on reddit when that happened?
Sounds like Twitter to me.

Last edited:

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
A Twitch streamer i follow shittalks Druckmann on social media because of the crunch controversy. Still got his key from Sony.

Sounds like Twitter to me.
It was on the review thread where I gave my take that when someone compared TLOU2 to schindler's list, I mentioned how AAA gaming has become like movies today, blockbuster films with a focus on theme park style entertainment and an aversion to anything serious.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Getting downvoted for my opinion on how this game is art and told I am sucking Druckmann's dick by hardcore weebs tends to validate my argument.
I think any game is art, it can still suck. You can be a weeb and think the game is art and still think someone's sucking this dude's dick by implying it's any good.

I think your issue is trying to use the art label as a shield from criticism or as a way to excuse or not address bad elements of the game by implying they are as they ought to be because it's art, which yes, does seem kinda shill-ish. If you think these elements people are criticizing are good, you gotta do more than just say it's art, you gotta show why they're not bad in the way people claim.

For example, there was this tweet that someone posted which said the game is like Schindler's List and that to me actually sounds great. First good thing heard about this game. I don't mind games being a downer or not being escapism every now and then, but people were furious, some cause they percieved it to minimize the nazis others because they just found it pretentious. To me it just sounded like a way of describing how the game affected that dude, which is the first good thing anyone said which sounds like a human thing one would really say and not something between pre-approved marketing or politically-motivated talking points.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
To elaborate on the infamous Schindler's List tweet, and add some context: The first part of that statement is: "In a medium where everything is John Wick...". Which:
a)is bullshit - even for someone with a cursory knowledge of the medium.
b)atleast for me, smells of elitism - even if John Wick doesn't set itself to deliver an Important Message, it still merits as art in different facets of filmmaking: choreography, cinematography etc.

It was on the review thread where I gave my take that when someone compared TLOU2 to schindler's list, I mentioned how AAA gaming has become like movies today, blockbuster films with a focus on theme park style entertainment and an aversion to anything serious.
Were AAA games ever not like the blockbusters?

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
This thread has been far too serious for too long. The game is out on Friday, for those who want a quick recap on what happened in the first game, this 100% accurate video will give you what you need.

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
Were AAA games ever not like the blockbusters?

And to elaborate on the infamous Schindler's List tweet, and add some context: The first part of that statement is: "In a medium where everything is John Wick...". Which:
a)is bullshit - even for someone with a cursory knowledge of the medium.
b)atleast for me, smells of elitism - even if John Wick doesn't set itself to deliver an Important Message, it still merits as art in different facets of filmmaking: choreography, cinematography etc.
Which makes TLOU2 profound because it isnt like your generic AAA dudebro shooters with a plot, plus it's the first American attempt to do so without executive meddling involved

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Which makes TLOU2 profound because it isnt like your generic AAA dudebro shooters with a plot,
That's kinda low standard for being profound, imho. God of War(the new one) wasn't like dudebro shooters either, for example, sticking to AAAs from Sony stable.

plus it's the first American attempt to do so without executive meddling involved
What does that mean? That includes first TLOU too?

Last edited:

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
What does that mean? That includes first TLOU too?
Quite a few AAA American titles that ended on a downer note usually was due to executive meddling like Sly Cooper and Dead Space, they choose to kill their franchise with a depressing ending rather than let it be a natural progression of affairs and hoping that because of the franchise's unviability that it stays that way.

Meanwhile Druckmann is honest about what TLOU is, it isn't some story of society coming together to overcome their flaws to rebuild but the collapse of humanity as the years go by and human continue to hurt others out of spite and hate. All while the survivors are forced to pick between the survival of the human race or their own "happiness"

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Just a heads up, I'll be playing through this game all weekend. I wont be doing an impressions video because I don't want to be accused of projecting or assuming how things play out. So i'll be giving the game a fair shake and a full playthrough and will be posting a full review Monday.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The Laymen Gaming posted the following video about Alanah Pearce (former IGN reviewer) talking about the review process. The biggest facepalm moment was her saying that AAA games should get basically 7-10/10 scores because they are the best games and most gamers only play AAA games so complaining that [insert AAA game] sucks only means it sucks in comparison to AAA games and not that it sucks in general. Yeah... AAA games are not close to being the best games out there, a polished turd is still a... you know. A better stealth game literally came out the same week as TLOU2, which goes by the name of Desperados 3.

John Wick is far more than just some dumb action movie.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Laymen Gaming posted the following video about Alanah Pearce (former IGN reviewer) talking about the review process. The biggest facepalm moment was her saying that AAA games should get basically 7-10/10 scores because they are the best games and most gamers only play AAA games so complaining that [insert AAA game] sucks only means it sucks in comparison to AAA games and not that it sucks in general. Yeah... AAA games are not close to being the best games out there, a polished turd is still a... you know. A better stealth game literally came out the same week as TLOU2, which goes by the name of Desperados 3.
That's not what she said. She said that this is how IGN scores, and that a 10 out of 10 does not mean perfect. Even the allmighty Skillup/Laymen gaming agreed with that. And I'll again point to the IGN reviews of Death Stranding and Days Gone which they scored below a 7. Which people then also got pissed off about.