TLOU2 Review Thread

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, fair is fair, I can't think of another game this year that had as much an impact on the gaming community as TLoU2, and even beyond. Everybody was talking about this goddamn thing. We're on page 52, for the love of Christ.

Being a former weeb and current hater of anime myself though, I still hate this stupid game. ;)

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I still think TLoU2 is fantastic. I really loved that story. It would have been much easier for them to just go the formulaic route where Joel goes on another journey with Ellie and then Joel dies at the end with a kind of grand gesture of self-sacrifice. But it would have been boring and predictable like pretty much every other AAA videogame. What we got was amazing. The shift in perspective(that really worked for me) Ellie turning into some kind of Angel of Death that alienated her relationships and by extension the player. Even the ending I thought was phenomenal. The city becoming more and more flooded as the story progressed also really added to the hopeless atmosphere. Story, visual design, background music, great gameplay; it provided non-stop forward momentum that made me want to keep playing. They took huge risks with this game and imo it totally paid off. I will probably replay it on PS5 sometime soon.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
With all of the controversy, I don't know why @Casual Shinji and @Hawki are this surprised. The fact that the Game Awards is practically giving away awards like candy toTLOU2 is even less surprising and even more predictable. Gotta do whatever you want to keep up the false and unearned hype.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So you admit TLoU2 deserves all the credit it gets and is a good game? Finally, my good man!

To be honest, I am not sure I think TLoU2 is that good but I struggle to think of any other game that is better. Which is probably more of an indictment of 2020 as a gaming year then it is praise to either TLoU2 or any other game.
Desperados 3 released the same week as TLOU2 and it's the better stealth game. I'm sure several games have been moved to next year because of the pandemic but there's still solid releases this year whether it's smaller stuff like Desperados, Wasteland 3, the recent Pathless or AAA stuff like Doom, Ghost, FFVII.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I still get panic attacks just thinking of Commandos and the original Desperados and the intense puzzle solving those games involved, so I never tried Desperados 3. I did play WL3 and I find it a decent but not outstanding game, both due to bugs and to a poorly balanced combat system. I liked TLOU2 but it wasn't the same intense high that TLOU was and it was too padded and not strong enough in its core mechanics to really feel like a GOTY to me. Its story is great and well executed apart from the padding dragging down the pacing, but the game part of TLOU2 can't possibly be the best 2020 could deliver.
It's pretty much still the same as in 2013 but the animation quality is incredible. I think it was still a lot of fun in the context of a story driven game. Because of the short encounters it never outstays it's welcome and with the lavish detail it's better than it otherwise would have been.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I still get panic attacks just thinking of Commandos and the original Desperados and the intense puzzle solving those games involved, so I never tried Desperados 3. I did play WL3 and I find it a decent but not outstanding game, both due to bugs and to a poorly balanced combat system. I liked TLOU2 but it wasn't the same intense high that TLOU was and it was too padded and not strong enough in its core mechanics to really feel like a GOTY to me. Its story is great and well executed apart from the padding dragging down the pacing, but the game part of TLOU2 can't possibly be the best 2020 could deliver.
I'd say it was more than strong enough in its core mechanics, they just weren't utilized well enough for most of the game. There are parts where the gameplay fires on all cylinders, but they're far and few between. The prime example is the suburb section where there's multiple large houses with different floors, occupied by maybe 12 people with 3 or 4 dogs. It might be less engaging on lower difficulties, but on Survivor this map is glorious to guerilla stealth-combat your way through, and it's a good 45 minutes of super tense, uninterupted cat 'n mouse. But like I said, there's not many of those. Which is a shame because this really is my favorite kind of stealth gameplay.

There was also a really great moment in the subway where there's both human enemies and clickers. I try to goat the humans to fire a shot at me by running around within their sight, hoping they draw the dormant clickers to them. But they just take cover and don't do anything, almost suggesting they knew shit was gonna pop off if they fired their weapons at me. And then we just sat there for a good half minute waiting for the other to make the first move. It was pretty neat and really gave a sense of life to the whole ordeal.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I never played the originals but played Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3. I wouldn't say the puzzle solving is that intense, I think it's more so the games forcing you into very tight windows (unless it's my puzzle solving that's not up to snuff...). With a full team, you can do some pretty elaborate stuff that you can queue up (which I think is new to both the aforementioned games) so you don't need fast fingers like say a RTS. I haven't gotten around to Wasteland 3 yet but I did order it Sunday so I'll be playing it soon.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Because of course it fucking did.
I am not even upset. Because their "victory" has no meaning (Vergil voice). It's hollow, empty, and truly shows how weak they are. People are going to forget until the next best thing, and the only ones who are going to remember or constantly bring it up are those who have a hardcore hatred for TLOU2/ND or who love to constantly suck their dick. Like I said before, I already have my own that I consider GOTY, you as well, and everyone else on this site that has a different opinion.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Desperados 3 released the same week as TLOU2 and it's the better stealth game. I'm sure several games have been moved to next year because of the pandemic but there's still solid releases this year whether it's smaller stuff like Desperados, Wasteland 3, the recent Pathless or AAA stuff like Doom, Ghost, FFVII.
From google,

Desperados III is a real-time tactics video game developed by Mimimi Games and published by THQ Nordic.

The Last of Us Part II is a 2020 action-adventure game developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for the PlayStation 4.

Apples, meet oranges.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
From google,

Desperados III is a real-time tactics video game developed by Mimimi Games and published by THQ Nordic.

The Last of Us Part II is a 2020 action-adventure game developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for the PlayStation 4.

Apples, meet oranges.
I've played them, they're both stealth games. Would TLOU2 become a RTT if you were able to switch between controlling Ellie, Tommy, Dina, and Jesse? I guess FFVII Remake is a RTT because you can switch characters on the fly. That's literally all Desperados 3 is, a stealth game that allows you to switch between multiple characters. Guess what, TLOU2 is played in REAL-TIME da-da-daaa!!! You know, just like every other stealth game that isn't Invisible Inc.

Last edited: