To all you Non American English speaking people out there

Bolt Van Der Huge

Jun 12, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I don't think there's even been a Middle England accent anywhere in gaming history though - could be wrong.
The villagers in the first Fable were ALL from Birmingham. And that accent oozes disappointment.

Feb 13, 2008
KnowYourOnion said:
Yeah the guy who plays him is a West Country chap, definitely not from Loughborough. I've never heard anyone with a Leicester accent in a game or film, which is a rather nice because the Leicester accent is a form of aural torture...
Oh really?

It won't be aural torture when I catch up with you, miduck.

Bolt Van Der Huge said:
I don't think there's even been a Middle England accent anywhere in gaming history though - could be wrong.
The villagers in the first Fable were ALL from Birmingham. And that accent oozes disappointment.
Seriously? I'd have thought the nasal whine would be incomprehensible to the Americans. 'tis for me.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Tallim said:
The Artificially Prolonged said:
All the British accents in the show Fraiser. The characters where supposed to be from Manchester and I can tell you no one in Manchester knows what Queens English is nevermind speak it. /joke.

Now if they all spoke like Liam Gallagher it would be believable.
The actress who played Daphne is actually from Ilford in Essex. Would have been a completely different character if they had used that accent.
True it would have certainly put a different spin on the character. I always assumed they used the posh english on the show as accents from the North West of England (Scouse, Manc, Lancs etc) tend to be hard to understand to people outside of England. Though it just always slightly bothered me as the accent was always stated as being a manc accent on the show whenever it was brought up. Still love the show though.

KnowYourOnion

Jul 6, 2009
KnowYourOnion said:
Yeah the guy who plays him is a West Country chap, definitely not from Loughborough. I've never heard anyone with a Leicester accent in a game or film, which is a rather nice because the Leicester accent is a form of aural torture...
Oh really?

It won't be aural torture when I catch up with you, miduck.

Bolt Van Der Huge said:
Seriously? I'd have thought the nasal whine would be incomprehensible to the Americans. 'tis for me.
GOOD GOD MAN!!! MY EARS!! THEY BRUUNNN! WHICH IS EVEN WORSE THAN BURNING!!!

I'm from Leicester too, never has there been a more wretched hive of scum and villainy....except possibly Grimsby...

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
CrystalShadow said:
-snippity snip-
Ahh, Dorset. Used to live round there too, Poole to be precise. Nice place actually.

KnowYourOnion said:
I'm from Leicester too, never has there been a more wretched hive of scum and villainy....except possibly Grimsby...
Sorry to butt in on your convo there, but I'm living in Leicester right now and never was a truer word spoken. Seriously, is this city made up entirely of chavs and things that try to be women? D:

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
I am American, but I'm also fluent in French. Most French accents I hear are god-awful.

Feb 13, 2008
KnowYourOnion said:
GOOD GOD MAN!!! MY EARS!! THEY BRUUNNN! WHICH IS EVEN WORSE THAN BURNING!!!

You've never been to Milton Keynes then...*shudder*

Aniwai, nowt wron' wi' Lesta axent. Jus' tex sum ge'in yousdo, miduck.

Idsertian said:
Sorry to butt in on your convo there, but I'm living in Leicester right now and never was a truer word spoken. Seriously, is this city made up entirely of chavs and things that try to be women? D:
Nip out to Charnwood, you sound like you're living down the Narb. All the chavs sit outside MaccyDs, Shires and Primark.

Hussmann54

Dec 14, 2009
Irridium said:
DrunkenElfMage said:
I was wondering because I am pretty sure the demoman's Scottish dialect is REALLY off, but I don't find it particularly offensive because all of the characters are intentional cartoonish representation or their respective regions.
TBF I think all of the dialects, including the Scout's, are horrible over-exaggerations.
Hehe, you'd be surprised. I know people who sound just like the Scout.
Yea, I might be so daring as to say the Brooklyn accent itself is a massive stereotype/ over exaggeration.... so in a weird way.... it kinda works....:/

KnowYourOnion

Jul 6, 2009
Idsertian said:
CrystalShadow said:
-snippity snip-
Ahh, Dorset. Used to live round there too, Poole to be precise. Nice place actually.

KnowYourOnion said:
Run man! RUN! Soon escape will be impossible! And under no circumstances touch the chavs! You may melt upon contact with such utter arsedom!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
henritje said:
pretty much ANY dutchman talking in half English/Half dutch and hard translates everything
sadly this is a correct stereotype.
if you are wondering what I,m meaning look for "I always get my own sin"
Like this:
Indeed, it's awful knowing that it's even partially true.