To all you Non American English speaking people out there

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
AD-Stu said:
AnarchistFish said:
I know the person who voiced Miranda in Mass Effect 2 is Australian, and so is the character, but her accent sounds like a typical South-Eastern English one to me.
That's because the average Australian accent isn't anywhere near as strong as the Crocodile Dundee stereotype would have you believe...
I watched an interview of her afterwards though and her accent was much stronger in it.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Idsertian said:
CrystalShadow said:
The southwest? Be you in the west country my lad? Where we all own a tra'er and speaks pro'er English like what I does? Down as far as Cornwall are we? Or a bit further north? Either way, you'd best be making sure you're on high ground come summer, or the bloody Severn'll have you flooded out.

God I love the west country. Feel most at home there so I do. :D

OT: Can't really say, but then, I'm a terrible judge of accents, often mis-interpreting them.
Lol. Not quite that far west. Actually, looking at a map of England, I seem to be right in the middle on the south coast.

That's perhaps that confusing area that's not quite the southeast, and not quite the southwest.

(Dorset). No, you don't get any particularly interesting accents around here.

Also, supposedly has the least rainfall of any part of England.

Which, by the standards of other countries makes it almost normal I guess. XD

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
All the British accents in the show Fraiser. The characters where supposed to be from Manchester and I can tell you no one in Manchester knows what Queens English is nevermind speak it. /joke.

Now if they all spoke like Liam Gallagher it would be believable.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
KnowYourOnion said:
Macemaster said:
binnsyboy said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
DrunkenElfMage said:
I was wondering because I am pretty sure the demoman's Scottish dialect is REALLY off, but I don't find it particularly offensive because all of the characters are intentional cartoonish representation or their respective regions.
TBF I think all of the dialects, including the Scout's, are horrible over-exaggerations.

The Cockney Sparrers in Killing Floor are hilarious, but they're pretty damn accurate.

I don't think there's even been a Middle England accent anywhere in gaming history though - could be wrong.
Shaun in Assassin's Creed has a Loughborough accent, I do believe.
...I've never heard anyone from Loughborough sound like that, and I'm only half an hour down the road
Yeah the guy who plays him is a West Country chap, definitely not from Loughborough. I've never heard anyone with a Leicester accent in a game or film, which is a rather nice because the Leicester accent is a form of aural torture...
Danny Wallace is Scottish although his accent comes more from Bath where he lived for a long time. Although "technically" you could call it a Lovely accent as Danny Wallace was the ruler of the Kingdom Of Lovely :p

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
The Artificially Prolonged said:
All the British accents in the show Fraiser. The characters where supposed to be from Manchester and I can tell you no one in Manchester knows what Queens English is nevermind speak it. /joke.

Now if they all spoke like Liam Gallagher it would be believable.
The actress who played Daphne is actually from Ilford in Essex. Would have been a completely different character if they had used that accent.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Australian accents aren't that inaccurate but they do feel inauthentic.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Yorkshire accents in games are usually quite believable, likely because they just get voice actors from here. I could be wrong though. I don't know why I'd be offended, I take the piss out of our dialect plenty myself XD

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Dick Van Dyke trying to do Cockney in Mary Poppins takes the cake, then rapes it.
I fully agree, and will start to use that phrase in the near future thanks to you xD

Thisbedutch

Apr 23, 2009
The Artificially Prolonged said:
All the British accents in the show Fraiser. The characters where supposed to be from Manchester
Oh my word, yes, this. I grew up watching Frasier, and while I'm not manc (I'm from Cheshire), I am familiar with the accent, and didn't realise 'til I was much older that Daphne and her family were meant to be from Manchester D:

That said, my least favourite example of a British accent in a game would probably be Bastila Shan in KoTOR. It's so...weird. Really plummy, which is a whole 'nother issue, but then at times it sounds like an okay-ish fake posh accent. Then she'll say something and the mind will just fucking boggle at how weird it sounds.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
They pretty much make me laugh anytime an American tries to do non American accents, doesn't offend me in any way but the characters credibility just dropped like a stone.

Worst one in recent memory is Dead Island, those accents were poke you in the eye bad.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Daphne from Frasier is certainly the one that annoys me the most just because I grew up in the Lancashire/Greater Manchester area and her accent is just so off. I watched the show all the time because it is a great show but every time they said she was from Manchester it just broke the experience for me. It's worse than Hollywoods usual generic English accent because the show went as far as aknowledging that there are alot of accents in England but then just totally failed to get them in the right area.

Oirish_Martin

Nov 21, 2007
The thing that's absolutely blown my socks off is that I've heard two dead-on Northern Irish accents in games recently (Lexine Murdoch in Dead Space 2: Severed, and Garvin Quinn in Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link) but I've yet to hear a proper south-of-the-border Irish accent that doesn't sound like someone channelling the fucking Lucky Charms leprechaun (and no, for the record, we do not all sound like that)

NotNamedYet

Sep 20, 2010
I just love the Russian accents in the Call of Duty series. They are sooooo colourfull and over the top! you can not not like them! sad thing is, the in-game dialogue is released dubbed and it sucks ALL the fun out of the game. it becomes almost unplayable accept for a few really awesomely silly moments like the prison break in modern warfare 2. but i digress.
the accents are quite missrepresented but inoffensive because of how cute and silly they are. hell, the whole russian stereotype is really cool! name me one stereotype that is more awesome))

Introspector

Aug 20, 2011
Generally, accent stuff doesn't bother me, but god it grates me when Britain is generalised into London, and then london is only cockneys and lords (which are two of the smallest percentages of the population & accents). Especially in one interview with the makers of CSI who, when asked if he wanted to do a CSI in england, said "Yeah, i love the city, with its big..whats it..eye and stuff". God it annoys me.
A little off topic, but...basically, usually it doesnt but occassionally it really really annoys me.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Every Australian Accent ever not done by an Australian Voice actor ever.

I can't remember the name of the game, but there was a character they made sure you knew was from New Zealand, but gave him a British Accent.

Fidelacchius

Oct 14, 2011
Do you have any idea how few people in England speak with that toff accent which gets put on by anyone playing a bad guy in American films. I personally blame Hugh Grant... I know the yanks find it appealing but there should be some form of disclaimer at the start of his movies....

The voices you are about to hear are put on and not representative of an entire nation!

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
henritje said:
pretty much ANY dutchman talking in half English/Half dutch and hard translates everything
sadly this is a correct stereotype.
if you are wondering what I,m meaning look for "I always get my own sin"
You just proved your own stereotype, I hope this was intended sarcasm :p ?

Btw, I'm also Dutch.

Fidelacchius

Oct 14, 2011
Yeah the guy who plays him is a West Country chap, definitely not from Loughborough. I've never heard anyone with a Leicester accent in a game or film, which is a rather nice because the Leicester accent is a form of aural torture...[/quote]

LMFAO ... and its not Leicester its Lestoh!(spelt how it sounds :))

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Any time somebody tries to speak like a Canadian, I want to punch them.

I mean, it is very obvious to us when someone tries to speak like a Canadian, but we have such diverse accents that some people can't pick up on them.
I'm in ND and we mostly hear Saskatchewanians, but they exhibit very similar 'eh-s' 'sorry-s' and 'about-s'.

My girlfriend is one and her rents lay it on thick. They're from way north of Saskatoon, Yugoslavian-settled region.

No justification, but it verifies it a tad.

I did a lot of German classes in college and I hear terrible Austrian and German accents all the time. THAT is the poor faking in my eyes.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I raged everytime an Australian accent poped up in Dead Island. I didn't go the gun spec because of it. Oddly I don't with the TF2 sniper. It's his personally. I love it. "Snipin's a good job mate"