To kill a God

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Flamehero1 said:
Use the subtle knife.

Mega cookie is yours if you get reference.
Wow, haven't read those books in years.

I'm afraid to touch them now in case I only thought they were good because I was 10...

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
depends at how you look at the word immortal, sometimes it just means the person doesnt grow old, like the highlander films.

Dec 14, 2009
Amaterasu was 'killed'.

If my killed, you mean had a 100 year respawn time.

I like the idea that you can't kill a god, but you can certainly put them out of commission for a while.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Also, (new post as it's an entirely seperate idea), Scott Adams (he of Dilbert fame), has some interesting ideas about God and the universe in his book 'God's Debris' which I'll try to 'Cliffs notes' for you now.

His theory is essentially, that God exists, or did.

He'd not really done much for a few millenia, and was bored, being omnipotent and knowing everything, then it struck him. What happens after I die? So he destroyed himself. This sounds a bit mad, but that's because we as humans place value on our survival, God is not human.

His destruction was our 'Big bang' and everything in the universe is made up of 'god dust', and we evolve, and technology, knowledge and nature improves, the god is slowly, very slowly reforming himself. He has the theory that the internet is step towards linking more and more of the planet with each other.

Adams doesn't claim to be right with his theories, he just hopes to show that sometimes there's other ways to see things and perhaps we should not just stick to the first explanation we're told if there's more options out there.

Ebook free here: http://nowscape.com/godsdebris.pdf

serialver

Apr 14, 2009
Kick its arse like Yuri Hyuga and become a god subjected to your sheer power of will.

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
thePyro_13 said:
Depends on your definition of god.

I say cut off their head. Nothing survives without a head, not even a god.
A rock survives without a head...

Depending on the context god killing can be fine. If it is immersive and when i read/watch/hear about it I think "OH No Way! Thats spectacular!" I would be fine with it. If its done sloppily and poorly and when I read it I think "Nope, nope thats f***ing bullsh*t, no bloody way" It would be bad.

As for how I would kill a god I guess I would just corrupt another god to kill him, or render him useless. OR! I would make a parallel or adjacent universe where I am non existent (so i wont have to fight my self) and where the gods of this other universe are so xenophobic they kill all who enter my portal. Then I lure the victim through the portal, increase the mass of the entrance to the other dimension to such a point where it collapses on itself like a neutron star, and allow the xenophobic inhabitants of the other universe, and the Omnipotent god of my universe to fight in combat for all eternity.

Or I go back in time, find the father of the god I am trying to kill and make it so that the father of the victim doesn't have coitus until a week later then when he originally should have. This would mean that the sperm who became the god I am trying to kill would have died and decomposed so he is dead. With this theory I need to be careful not to kill my ancestor and cock up the future, or to create a time paradox similar to the grandfather paradox.

Last theory, I make a large perfect vacuum of space (shaped like a box), fool the victim god into entering it, where inside he finds nothing. The box sides have been turned into an infinite loop, but the victim will feel no turns or inclined planes to suggest it is a loop. I have also warped the box through the fourth dimension into a fourth dimensional loop where there is a new version of the already imprisoned god spawned every few centuries from copied genetics from the very original god. Time is still linear in the box it just has been folded through the fourth dimension providing access to the genetics of the very first god. But the new gods would have no prior knowledge of life outside the box. The box would become everything to them. And yes it might be possible that there would be a new god spawned for each god there, but eventually one of them would grow up and kill the original god. This would create a time paradox in which the original god is destroyed, this would kill all the new gods because they couldn't be born due to the genetics of the first god not being able to be copied thanks to the linearity of time in the box.

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
Use soap!

OT:

1) After a long and treacherous journey our Hero finds out that the only way to kill a God of Evil is to kill the One he Loves... He decides that he can't do it. And so Evil lives on, because Evil cannot be wiped out from the World, it can be only fought with Good, forever.

2) Using nanobots humanity becomes God.

foodmaniac

Mar 2, 2010
You become a half demon after the world enters a apocalyptic phase called "The Conception", in which the world is to be reborn and reshaped by the values believed by selected human. You disagree with everyone else's ideas, and battle Lucifer to gain control of the demon army to battle God with.

Okay, I know someone is going to correct me because I haven't played the game for a while. I've forgotten most of what happens.

Shade184

Nov 11, 2009
Flamehero1 said:
Use the subtle knife.

Mega cookie is yours if you get reference.
I haven't read those books since high school, good call.

OT:
"What a fool you are. I'm a god! How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence!"
*Self-proclaimed god is killed*
(Cookie is yours if you get this reference.)

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
It´s a lie when people say that you can´t kill a God. The "immortality" of a God is the capability of never get older (acording to what the religious books say. I never understood when God got that big, white beard), but they can be killed if you do so correctly.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Bobbity said:
knight steel said:
Find out gods true name for with a name you can control that person/object completely ^_^.
Please please pretty please tell me that you're referring to the works of Ursula Le Guin, and not Christopher Paolina. Please please please please. o_O

OT: I like the Terry Pratchett/Raymond Feist approach. Remove or kill off all the worshippers, and the gods become totally powerless.
I'm sorry i got it from Christopher Paolina Eragon book, who's Ursula Le Guin?

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
If there is a god, you'd be stupid to go up against it.

As for whether or not it would be good - depends. A deist type god, I could live with. No point in killing the clock-maker, if he doesn't interfere. As for the meddling types of Gods - Assuming that we would even be able to comprehend its motives and way-of-thinking (and I for one, believe that IF there is a god, it would be a being so immensely above us that we would have no hope of even being able to comprehend a single one of its emotions), then I would suggest that we try to bargain with it before trying to "kill it".

Obviously, if this God is evil or wants to kill us, our best bet is to try to escape - research ways to create other universes (if possible) or travel to another one. As for trying to "kill" one - impossible, if you are thinking of a God as defined by most religions. A Demi-God, now that might be killable, assuming that it takes a physical form.

So to sum up:

1) A God/Gods would probably be beyond our understanding or perception, thus, any attempt at trying to kill it/them would be pointless and futile
2) If a God CAN communicate with us on any level, I suggest we bargain with it
3) If bargaining is out of the question, FLEE LIKE YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE, which it probably will be if the God is evil and out to get you.

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
SenseOfTumour said:
thePyro_13 said:
Depends on your definition of god.

I say cut off their head. Nothing survives without a head, not even a god.
I was going to reference some Pratchett, and now I can reference more.

On the subject of vampires it was said ' you need to cut off the head and plunge a wooden stake thru the heart. Of course, this has the bonus that it works on everyone else.'

I know a couple of people have covered it, but I think Discworld has more to say about it than most , and makes a lot of sense.

As for the God thing, In Discworld, they're fueled by believers, and in 'Small Gods' the great god Om has fallen out of favour over the centuries, and has been left with just one, one more than many who are left as just ethereal memories floating around hoping someone may believe again. One believer does not not fuel much in the way of godly powers.

The interesting part of the book is that the religion of Om is the biggest on the disc, yet Om himself knows only one person ACTUALLY believes, everyone else is just following the religion, and leaders. After all, how many people tick 'Catholic' on surveys, yet haven't seen the inside of a church in ten years?

Looking at humanity over the years, maybe more people believe in this than expected, there's certainly been a lot of effort put into killing off the believers of other gods, maybe the hope they can wipe out all challengers.

I thoroughly recommend getting hold of it, book, audio book, whatever, remember libraries are free, for a few months yet, in the UK :D
I do love me some Discworld. Its often surprising how thought provoking those novels can be, especially since they have such a silly and parodical backdrop.