Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
-Dragmire- said:
Susan Arendt said:
Tokyo Jungle Review

Ridiculous and mighty.

Read Full Article
I recall earlier this year you were quite excited for this game, did you have to fight off anyone to review it? Oh, and did it meet your expectations or surpass them?
I think this one was just a bit too weird for my fellow reviewers to want to attempt. :) And while I figured I'd find it endearingly odd, I didn't expect the actual gameplay to be as rock solid as it was. Quite surprising, really.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
I love it. My first game was quite fun, getting to learn stuff and just playing around. On about my 3rd game I was wondering just *why* the heck I was playing it as it seemed a little lacking and dull.

Then a few games later I was properly into the swing of it and I play it a lot now and has become one of my favourites.

The only real gripe I have with it is how tedious the first part of a new survival game can be but that's only a minor part and you are still focussed on doing things.

I had one game that ended badly when I was trying to complete a challenge to get to a sector on the map. All well and good normally but I had to cross another sector to get there from where I was. So far there hadn't been too many exotics wondering about and the ones that were were avoidable for the most part.

I crash into the sector I need to cross with a full pack of dogs to discover a full on sector wide brawl happening in the streets between Crocodiles, Bears and Beagles. The whole place was just crawling with tooth and claw and it was a sector with very few alternate routes.

My entire pack were getting savaged as we wound our way through the brawl, only stopping to take down anything we could that got in our way and in the end it was just one sole doggy running through the streets trying to avoid thrashing crocs and the attention of packs of beagles.

Then with an eye on the road ahead and the end in sight I failed to notice the purple jaw icon finish its little spiral and out of some grass came instant death for my last pup.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Wow, I wish I had a ps3 now. Is it odd that no stellar AAA exclusive has made me feel this way?

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
Pretty spot on review. The game suffers from some repetition problems here and there, but it's still absolutely fantastic. It could have ridden entirely on its ridiculous premise, but the game mechanics happen to be extremely solid on top of it.

I've been playing for countless hours already, liking it more and more as I unlock animals and story. I just made it passed year 100 for the first time, and things get crazy messed up the longer you survive. They keep the tension going pretty much non-stop.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Elyxard said:
Pretty spot on review. The game suffers from some repetition problems here and there, but it's still absolutely fantastic. It could have ridden entirely on its ridiculous premise, but the game mechanics happen to be extremely solid on top of it.

I've been playing for countless hours already, liking it more and more as I unlock animals and story. I just made it passed year 100 for the first time, and things get crazy messed up the longer you survive. They keep the tension going pretty much non-stop.
Wow, you managed 100 years? You are my hero! I think the best I've managed so far is somewhere in the 50s. What animal were you at the time?

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Wow, you managed 100 years? You are my hero! I think the best I've managed so far is somewhere in the 50s. What animal were you at the time?

I haven't made it over 100, but I've been close many times.

Golden Retriever: 80
Tosa: 88
Wolf: 89
Jackal: 90
My current African Wild Dog (Lycaon) line is going on 50 years and running quite well.

For the herbivores I think the highest I got was 76 as a Blackbuck.

Trust me, it gets REALLY intense afterwards. When there are more prehistoric animals out there wanting to kill you than prey, you KNOW you're screwed (and they start to come after about 60 years, give or take). See that Jackal score? I was in Shibuya Suburbs today with 5 boss Jackals looking for a mate. All dead within a second when a dino slaughtered them all at the same time. Nearly tossed my controller.

I've seen someone make 100 with a tiger. Doesn't seem to be impossible with some of the medium carnivores either (ie the wolf/jackal/hyena/etc) but it's harder since they can't kill the dinos and some of the larger carnivores (like the bears).

...No...I have not poured more than 15 hours into this game. Don't be silly.

*shifty eyes*...*scrambles off*

EDIT: Yep, 102 years so far with the Lycaons and still going. Very much possible.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Great review. I was sold from the day I heard about it, but this ironed it all out. Shut up and take my money...

DustlessDragoon said:
You know I may actually buy something from PSN for the first time, actually seems pretty interesting.
Me too, this will be my first PSN purchase.

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
It was with a Black Panther, and to be fair, that was probably my 20'th or so playthrough of survival mode. Luckily that animal is strong enough to take out some of the dinosaurs and tigers if you're careful. Passed the 100 year mark, something entirely different showed up and tore me to shreds though.

You really have to depend on the sewer a lot to survive passed the 60 year mark. Not too much worry of toxicity there, and none of the super dangerous animals will show up (mostly).

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
UNHchabo said:
DustlessDragoon said:
You know I may actually buy something from PSN for the first time, actuslly seems pretty interesting.
Wait -- so you own a PS3, and haven't bought Journey? Don't let Susan find out! ;)

My excuse is simply that I don't yet own a PS3.
I have very limited HDD space which I can't be bothered updating plus it's quite expensive for how short it is so I'll wait until it's either cheap or I can get the retail version.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Well after reading the review I am intrigued and will probably get the game...after the 11th when my exams are safely over...damn.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
This was one of the main reasons I re-bought a PS3 and I'm so glad it doesn't disappoint.
I'll be getting it quite soon, I just need to find a way to download it with my Shockley bad internet.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Question. Do you get to train your little pomeranian into merciless stalker of post-apocalyptic concrete jungle .... wearing kitty paws ? Because if you do...GOTY :)

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Goddamit, this game is right up my road. And I have no real desire to spend £100+ on a PS3 to get it.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
This game looks like so much fun!
And I like survival sandboxes (that's what survival mode sounds like to me). Poured over 100 hours in Mount'n'Blade: Warband!
Why can't it be on PC? Whyyyyyyy!
On second thought, maybe it's a good thing I won't get to play it. If I did I might forgo everything else :p

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Not sure why I toture myself looking at games for other systems because now I really want this.

They probably wont port it though because it was hyped as an exclusive.

I saw your early hands on type review and it got my interest and now this review really makes me want to play the game even with the potential grind. :(

It looks like a great game for playing with friends or family in a "who can survive longer" challenge

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
UNHchabo said:
DustlessDragoon said:
You know I may actually buy something from PSN for the first time, actuslly seems pretty interesting.
Wait -- so you own a PS3, and haven't bought Journey? Don't let Susan find out! ;)

My excuse is simply that I don't yet own a PS3.
I own one and I haven't.
My ps3 is pretty much just a bluray player these days. That will change when I move into my new flat on November (maybe).

Don't kill me Susan!

I made this half pony half monkey monster to please you.

OT - Maybe I'll pick this up one of these days.

EDIT - Reading half of the comments hear really makes me want to give this a shot. Once I'm all moved in I think I'll treat myself.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Good review... although I was expecting the video to be two minutes of Susan going:

"SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"