Tomorrow I'm gonna do something stupid and pointless with little chance of success.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Wish me luck!

...For those of you who want some more details here about what you're wishing me luck for. I'm about to ask out a professor at my school.

My final semester as a student here is about to end, and I can't let myself leave the school forever without taking this shot.

Chances are she'll say No (and I'm not saying this as any sort of confidence issue just...I mean in the given scenario, it makes sense lol)

But I'm gonna go for it. Carpe Diem and all the jazz!

EDIT: Here's what happened, the story in its entirety

Alright everyone, the results are in, and I am ready to tell my tale. I once again want to thank everyone for being so invested in this tale, and I'm try my best to spin a satisfactory yarn here.

"Well, first I got up and I had a piece of toast, then I brushed my teeth, then I went to the store to buy some fish..." (sorry, couldn't resist)

Alright, well I woke up, took a shower, brushed my teeth, all the usual stuff, trimmed my beard to make it nice and pretty. Got dressed up, clean bowling shirt and what-not.

Her office hours are 10-11:30, so I left around 9:40 'cause it takes about half an hour to get there and I didn't wanna be lurking around her door when she showed up.

Are you all familiar with the old saying "If you wanna make God laugh, tell him your plans." well apparently that applies to God, Buddha, Zeus, Fate, Karma, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, The all-powerful Atheismo, or whatever else you do or not believe in.

I made sure to set up everything that could mess this up on my end, but since something does have to go wrong...she wasn't there. I couldn't ask her if she wasn't in her office.

Now hold on, my story does not end here. I swung by the office of one of the Professor's for a class I was taking, we chatted a bit. The problem here was...I was parked in a 30 Minute Visitor Parking space (because parking is near impossible at this time of day...) and so the clock was ticking. She still wasn't in her office.

Eventually...I had to give up (don't worry, there's more. Stick around) I walked back to my car. Feeling defeated. I was unable to do what I set out to do, and I felt like a failure. I got back in my car and started to leave.

But I only moved a few feet before I saw...what's that? An empty parking space, and no one around to snag it? Feeling a second wind of determination, I grabbed that space, headed back to the building her office is in and sure enough...there she was.

I took a deep breath and stepped inside. We'd chatted a few times before, so she had some recollection of who I was lol

I stood up straight, gave her a warm smile, kept eye contact and I gave the improvised speech that I'd rehearsed in my head a hundred times (I say improvised because no matter how often you practice, once you're in the moment, you don't rely on memory, you go with guts)

Now I know some of you are wondering what exactly I said, but if it's alright with you, I'd rather leave that part out. Not because I'm embarrassed with what I said, but because I'd feel better if the next hundred messages weren't advice on what I should (or shouldn't) have said.

Much to my own surprise, she seemed taken aback, but also quite flattered by this proposal. She had a huge smile on her face that she couldn't seem to get rid of...

HOWEVER

She did respond, and she informed me that she was actually already seeing somebody, and that he probably wouldn't appreciate it if I took her out (and who could blame him? I'll ask out almost any woman I like, but I have a rule about women in relationships)

So at the end of this story, she did ultimately say No. However, not because I was too young or because I was a student (well it mighta been, but she didn't say so if it was lol) I know some of you wanted to laugh at me when she said No, so go ahead and get it out of the way. Really, I don't mind :)

Because ultimately, I stood up and did something that I wanted to do. I didn't let fear stop me from going for it. And if I can have a little bit of an ego right now, I wouldn't be surprised if I just made her day lol

On my way back to my car, I stopped at the vending machine and bought myself a Razzleberry Peace Tea (if you don't drink Peace Tea, you totally should. It's delicious) and I have to tell ya, it's never tasted sweeter.

Then on my way home I got a haircut and got some drive-thru Abry's but...I guess those parts aren't really as important.

First thing I did when I got home though was read through the comments here and I wanted to let you all know how it went.

"And then you threw an octopus at my window..."

Tonight, imaginary internet beer is on me! Drink as much as you like, my friends! For tonight, we party.

My capcha is "grain of salt" which some of you might be taking this story with lol but I've presented you the full facts of what happened. It's not the best story ever told on the internet, but I'm happy with it. I got some closure, and it's nice to have people to share it with.

Thanks for listening, everybody.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Hey, wait until after the finals are over, so you're technically not apart of the class anymore!

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Technically I'm not one of her students. I know there are probably still rules there. I just need to ask her tomorrow because it's probably the last chance I'd get to actually see her.

If I wait until the semester is completely over, I'll have no idea how to get in touch with her.

I have to play my pieces carefully here, timing is everything...or...maybe just a fairly big part.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
More power to you man. Even if she says no, it feels really good to just take a leap of faith sometimes.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Good wishes with that crazy stunt.
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/265/750/88d/resized/jesus-says-meme-generator-good-luck-don-t-kill-yourself-5b3ae6.jpg

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Didn't you make a thread about this a few months ago, asking advice on the situation? Or was that someone else? *shrug* Either way, good luck. May happiness and fortune find you.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
wintercoat said:
Didn't you make a thread about this a few months ago, asking advice on the situation? Or was that someone else? *shrug* Either way, good luck. May happiness and fortune find you.
I did actually. I wasn't sure if anyone would remember that.

...well, I mean maybe someone else did too. But yeah, I certainly did. Now my waiting has paid off. The semester is coming to a close and I'm gonna roll the dice here.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Strain42 said:
wintercoat said:
I did actually. I wasn't sure if anyone would remember that.

...well, I mean maybe someone else did too. But yeah, I certainly did. Now my waiting has paid off. The semester is coming to a close and I'm gonna roll the dice here.
Aha! I knew I wasn't insane! Well...more insane...insaner? Anyways...hope you roll nat 20s, or at least don't roll a critical fail. Last thing you need is a lawsuit, right?

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I can tell you are confident from the fact you said she will say no with a capital N.

Remember, risks are always worth it! Good luck!

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Tell her she must go for it....

We, here at the Escapist, must hear of sordid deeds....

Remember though, if she says no, alcohol makes everything better.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Go for it man!

I thought I remembered a tale similar to this, and I was wondering what came of it, now I know!

If she says no, there's always liquor to forget you even tried!

Dec 14, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
Tell her she must go for it....

We, here at the Escapist, must hear of sordid deeds....

Remember though, if she says no, alcohol makes everything better.
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Go for it man!

I thought I remembered a tale similar to this, and I was wondering what came of it, now I know!

If she says no, there's always liquor to forget you even tried!
To alcohol!

The cause of, and solution, to all of life's problems :D

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'll be sure to let you all know how it went as soon as I can :D Thanks for all the positive support.

If it goes well, I will celebrate with beer and Pokemon.

It it doesn't...I'll get over it with beer and Pokemon.

I can't lose!

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Good luck. With the entire internet backing you, what could possibly go wrong?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I read the title and support the decision.

As does House

And Hitler

So nothing can go wrong :D