Too Many Good Games!

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
It is fall, the leaves are turning, the weather is cooling, winter is almost upon us, and there is a metric fuck ton of games coming out.

So around this time of year we are hit with an avalanche of games. Sure we have are bad and mediocre games but there are always a couple good games, but this year there is a lot. I have already spent $120 on Dishonored and Borderlands 2. There is still WOW: MoP, Mark of the Ninja, Chavalry: Medieval Warfare, and AC3 is just around the corner. It is like the games industry wants us to go broke.

Have any of you had the same experience?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Mugen Souls was the only must buy for me this quarter. Knew I wasn't going to like Dishonored from the get-go, was previously traumatized by the last XCOM game I played, the only parts of AC that were interesting to me were the Desmond sections which I was hoping would be focused on in AC3 but they went to the American Revolution for some reason, have no friends to play Borderlands 2 with, etc.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Huh, and I thought this thread was going to be about that the relatively short age of video games as a medium, the rather intense entertainment-time/development-time ratio and the booming enthusiasm of the indie scene, are jumping us into a time where the universal game library across all consoles and computers has become so huge and quickly growing that the selection is downright intimidating

But yeah, I guess having a few good new (big) titles around this time of year is nice too

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I've got to agree. I'm still working on a backlog, that's crept ever bigger with Borderlands 2 and Pokemon White 2, and it's only going to get bigger and bigger as November and Christmas nears.

What a terrible burden to have =D

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Despite not finishing Guild Wars 2 yet (I've been getting more hours at wort) I already bought Dark Soul, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron and I currently trying to play Pokemon Black 2 (I can't be bother installing the other two just yet since I can pick up and turn my DS on).
It also going to pile up more since I kind want to get Borderland 2 (I want a FPS game) and there the upcoming ME trilogy boxset aswell and I haven't even talked about the upcoming games either! (Hawken and Planetside 2 interest me.)

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Norrdicus said:
Huh, and I thought this thread was going to be about that the relatively short age of video games as a medium, the rather intense entertainment-time/development-time ratio and the booming enthusiasm of the indie scene, are jumping us into a time where the universal game library across all consoles and computers has become so huge and quickly growing that the selection is downright intimidating

But yeah, I guess having a few good new (big) titles around this time of year is nice too
I don't think deep enough to make a thread like that. Plus I just keep seeing things that make me want these games more.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
So far this year I've spent about $17 on Silent Hill Downpour.

Yeah, that's about it really. Yes, there are a lot of games out/coming out that I'd like but there are holidays coming up and my birthday almost immediately after so I'm kind of on a spending slowdown at the moment. This has happened to me before but I can't...remember...when. I just know it's happened before.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
One of the benefits of being a few years behind on gaming hardware (I've got a laptop that can play games, but most new AAA games won't run on it; I'll probably upgrade in a year or two, once I've finished college and been working for a while) is that you're completely insulated from these little fluctuations in the supply. I've got so many old games that I've picked up cheaply, if I were to somehow retire tomorrow and have nothing but free time, I could probably play quite happily for the next five or ten years just on my backlog and the occasional F2P title. I don't have to worry about the Summer drought, nor do I worry about the holiday flood. Total bliss. It also helps me weed out the truly good games from the ones that are just heavily hyped, which is a plus.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Assassin's Creed 3 needs to come out right now before I die.

Also I do want to get Borderlands 2 and Dishonored at some point. I haven't played either yet and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Unfortunately, I don't have enough money to buy any of them so I just have to put them on my birthday/Christmas lists and hope that somebody buys them for me.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Lots of great stuff that has come out (and is still to come) this year. Transformers: FoC, Dishonored, Halo 4, AC3, Hitman Absolution, Walking Dead, X-COM, Far Cry 3...it's definitely a good time to be a gamer.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
SirBryghtside said:
Didn't care much for this year, Mass Effect 3 was good, and I'm playing White 2 now, but... yeah, mostly been doing backlog. Going through Dragon Age: Origins right now.

Considering how long ago DA:O was launched, that's a hell of a log you've got.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I curse my own attention span and game playing speed sometimes.

I thought Dishonored and Xcom would take me up until Last of Us comes out but i've finished them both twice and have no desire to play them again just yet.

So i'm back on Football Manager 2012 taking Accrington Stanley to the top of the Premiership ... maybe ... if any good players let me sign them the money grubbing bastards.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Rawne1980 said:

I thought Dishonored and Xcom would take me up until Last of Us comes out but i've finished them both twice and have no desire to play them again just yet.
Both games twice?

Don't you have a job and a family? Unless I'm confusing you with someone else...?

Holy hell, where do you find the time?

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
I used to have this problem but no longer now I only buy games I really want to play on release so SC5, The last story and DOA5 are it for me new this year the rest I wait until it falls to below 15 pounds or I just borrow from a friend the only other game I was super hyped for was P4 Arena and they dont want Europe to play that this year it seems (maybe next if we are lucky).

Plenty of other games interest me but I know they would just go on the backlog pile and so I ignore them for now and continue to make my way through that I mean there are still SNES games in it for gods sake.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I've been trying to hold myself back on buying new games until Persona 4: Golden comes out, but that strategy hasn't been working at all.

I've already beaten Borderlands 2 and plan on getting XCOM soon and I also need to pick up Little Big Planet Vita. Then AssCreed III comes out at the end of the friggin' month.

And to top it all off, I finally got a laptop good enough to play some games and I'm having a really hard filing through my Steam wishlist to pick just one or two games.

T-T

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
Zhukov said:
Rawne1980 said:

Both games twice?

Don't you have a job and a family? Unless I'm confusing you with someone else...?

Holy hell, where do you find the time?
his job is video games, and his family? well lets just say they got in the way one too many times!

OT: for me its just dishonored, nothing else is really catching my eye right now

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
One of the benefits of being a few years behind on gaming hardware (I've got a laptop that can play games, but most new AAA games won't run on it; I'll probably upgrade in a year or two, once I've finished college and been working for a while) is that you're completely insulated from these little fluctuations in the supply. I've got so many old games that I've picked up cheaply, if I were to somehow retire tomorrow and have nothing but free time, I could probably play quite happily for the next five or ten years just on my backlog and the occasional F2P title. I don't have to worry about the Summer drought, nor do I worry about the holiday flood. Total bliss. It also helps me weed out the truly good games from the ones that are just heavily hyped, which is a plus.
And as always, there's a relevant xkcd comic:

OT: Yeah, I've been feeling that way too. Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, Dishonored, Mark of the Ninja, Dark Souls, WoW, and I'll be getting AC: III and a PS Vita pretty soon.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
I guess I'm lucky that I'm picky. PC-only, Multiplayer only depresses me, entire genres I don't like

So, Dishonored and AC3 only for me? And the latter will probably be delayed by an eon again...

I'm still deciding whether to wait on getting a 3DS or just buy it now...

yunabomb

Nov 29, 2011
I've been reliant on old (at least two years old) games for a while now. There's still so much to choose from.