too senstivie kids

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
What a wimp. While I hate to say "back in my day", I just have to say that a decade ago, our schools weren't padded, underfunded day-cares, trembling at the thought of a lawsuit.

I once dropped a 50-pound drainage lid on my toe in grade 4, and I pretended it was a door that did it (original, I know). The thing is, neither my mom or the principal pressed me, even though it was an obvious lie. Kids have to do stupid things to learn, over-sheltering them will only hurt them later on.

Looking For Alaska

Jan 5, 2009
Well, I figured the kid in the OP should be punished because he threw a (dead?) bird at another student.

Imagine how red my face was when I saw your edit.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
We call it "Federball", i personally didn't know either english term.

That aside, i can understand that the child would be crying, depending on the speed the ball got shot at him, but whoever wanted to get the other child expelled definitly overreacted.

Icecoldcynic said:
Dodgeball got ruined at my school the instant they introduced the catching rule. Since we used crappy foam balls, it was literally impossible to get any real speed on them, so it actually became MORE risky to throw the ball! The only way to avoid them being caught was to just roll them across the floor, since any time the ball had any time in the air, someone would just snatch it out of the air and you'd be out.

Destroyed the game in my opinion. It's called dodgeball, not catchball.
We used volleyballs, getting them in the face could really hurt. Since i was bad at dodgeball that made me dislike the game.

Marmalade

Mar 23, 2009
That kid is a wimp, how can a birdy hurt?
Also i think i'm immature for laughing my butt area off, do you really call those shuttlecocks?

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Marmalade said:
That kid is a wimp, how can a birdy hurt?
Also i think i'm immature for laughing my butt area off, do you really call those shuttlecocks?
Indeed. But that's nothing coming from the country where nobody over the age of 11 laughs at eating spotted dick.

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
Who cries over getting hit by a shuttlecock? Who gets expelled for throwing a shuttlecock at someone? Unless there is more to the story than that, the kid is a fucking pussy.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
Aby_Z said:

That's a birdie. You hit it with a long tennis racket over a net. The game It's used in is like a slow mix between Volleyball and tennis.
And for those who don't know the name of this..erm..fabulous sport, it's Badminton.

Ontopic:
Wait, starting to cry because of THAT?!
That's...Impossible...Right?

Seriously, how sensitive can you be to start crying by that? *Sitting with a shocked facial expression*
[SUB]Although a girl in my junior high class got a "concussion" by a volleyball, which was thrown by the weakest girl in the class..[/SUB]

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Fat Man Spoon said:
He was stupid enough to wear his glasses in Dodgeball?
In his defense, some of us can't get around without glasses. I mean, my myopia isn't that bad, but if I don't have my glasses in the morning, I can barely see the OJ in front of me, let alone play Dodgeball. Thank goodness for contact lenses, though...

Back on topic, I think we may be dealing with a classic case of overkill. Being expelled for hitting another kid with a shuttlecock (perhaps by accident, too) is an overreaction. When I was that age, the worst you could've gotten was detention, or perhaps a stern warning at best. As for the crying, well... I've taken a few hits myself when playing with my family, and it does sting. Of course, I didn't cry, because I was 15 by the time, but still, some kids are sensitive, or maybe his parents are divorcing and the kid's not really crying because of the shuttlecock, but just venting extra stress, whatever.

Still, nothing to expel the other kid over...

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
Eleima said:
In his defense, some of us can't get around without glasses. I mean, my myopia isn't that bad, but if I don't have my glasses in the morning, I can barely see the OJ in front of me, let alone play Dodgeball. Thank goodness for contact lenses, though...
Okay, okay, fair enough.

I'll go change that out o' my other post, yeah?

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
The Anhk24 said:
while trying to procrastinate studying for my government and politics quiz i talked to my friend's little brother who goes to a private school. there is a kid who is gonna be expelled because he hit a kid with a birdy, and the kid who got hit cried. (these kids are like 12-13)

truthfully im not too sure how badly getting hit with a birdy can be but im pretty sure it cant make you cry. I also believe it is stupid this kid might get expelled for this. when i was in elementary school if you got hit, the teacher would just laugh at you or if it was serious send you to a nurse's office.

I personally think kids today are wimps and are too sensititve, but what do u fellow escapists believe

Edit: a birdy is the thing u play batt mitten with:http://www.topnews.in/sports/files/badminton.jpg
A retard in my school started harassing my friend, eventually 'physically' (not dangerously of course) so my friend pushed him. He was then suspended. When did we get so determined to raise those lower beneath us (I'm sorry to all of you who think a person with an IQ insufficient to wipe his arse is equal to you, but I do not) to be equal and instead decide to set up a lower set of standards for them? Equality's a nice concept and all, but not when you have to tip the scales against everyone else.

Hmm...? what's this? a random tangent. Lets just ignore that. (take away my first line which was somewhat relevant)
In any case I don't think you're right to say kids have become wimpier, I haven't seen a kid in my generation cry after 10, girls excluded. (that's not to be sexist, simply personal experience due to a friend crying when this other girl killed herself) In any case I'll admit some kids are handled with a velvet glove but that's more to do with the godawful protective parents we get nowadays. (all parents are protective, I realize. Its the paranoid ones who think if the kid takes a step outside to play with friends he'll be hit with a meteor and start doing drugs... possibly in the opposite order)

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Fat Man Spoon said:
Eleima said:
In his defense, some of us can't get around without glasses.
Okay, okay, fair enough. I'll go change that out o' my other post, yeah?
Heh, don't worry about it! You people with perfect eyesight just don't know how good you have it! =D

Xorghul

Jul 2, 2008
Will anyone object if I just go ahead and kill of humanity for it's infinite stupidity?

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
lwm3398 said:
This is a private school.

There, saying the word "Crap" gets you 8 years detention and one less hand.
Depends. I used to go to a Catholic private school, and most of the teachers swore from time to time. My history teacher was a massively liberal atheist.

Also, I've been hit dead on in the eye with a shuttlecock launched at high speed from a badminton racket (actually when I was 12 or 13) and I didn't cry. I just put my hand over my eye and say down on the sidelines.

But then again, I'm Australian, and not giving a fuck is what we do.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Teacher wanted to get me suspended because I changed the desktop background on a PC I was on. I honestly did it on accident, you know right click: set as desktop background. It wasn't anything bad at all infact, but he said I was going to be suspended or even expelled for "hacking a PC". This is the teacher of a computer class mind you.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Seriously? Maybe if you're talking about Sparta, but where I live there's more to life than physical toughness.
That's not what I mean.

I mean children should be taught that they are not helpless and can deal with some of their own problems.

Sitting there constantly going "awww, poor baby" everytime they scrape their knee will only make them dependant on a nanny-type.
I agree with you there, but never doing it is just as bad. This isn't a black and white issue, it entirely depends on the situation.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
Say hello to Generation Daycare my more senior Escapist friends, in which offending someone is a crime against humanity, and the bruised cheek a warrant for arrest.