Top 5/10 best games you have ever played

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Doom: While the visuals and mechanics are a bit outdated, I have yet to encounter anything else with such fun combat.

Silent Hill 2: Not only is it good on it's own merits, but all of the technical issues, like the loading screens before each room and the awkward pauses in dialogue, actually add to the game rather than detract from it.

Blood: While the title implies it to be a self-proclaimed gorefest (and while it certainly delivers in that aspect), Blood earns points for the brilliant level design, great aesthetics, and best of all, the main character. If an undead, vengeance seeking gunslinger wasn't enough, he's also certifiably insane. While most Build Engine games had one liners, and Caleb certainly has a lot of those, half of his lines are him screaming with laughter, triggered when he blows his enemies to hundreds of tiny pieces.

System Shock 2: The RPG elements are tight (despite being heavily in favor of a hacker character), and the gameplay is fun, but the best thing is the atmosphere. Unlike some horror games that take place on spaceships, the Von Braun looks like it would've been a nice place to live before everything went crazy. The enemy design is excellent, and I couldn't go into detail as to why SHODAN is so great without filling up half of a page.

Deus Ex: Imagine System Shock 2's RPG elements tuned to perfection. Then, add a deep, lengthy, conspiracy laden plot full of twists and turns, and you get Deus Ex. I don't feel like I need to sing it's praises too much, because I think that if you know what a video game is, you've had at least one person tell you how great Deus Ex is.

I have a lot of other games that I'd like to mention, but if I keep describing them like this than going to ten will get really tedious.

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
I prefer giving two lists:

Here's a list of the 10 most recent games I have:

- Bioshock
- Kirby Epic Yarn
- Portal 2
- Minecraft
- Sim City 4 Deluxe
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Super Meat Boy
- The Orange Box
- The Sims 3

Here's a list of some games that I want to play, but can't:
- Bastion
- Beyond Good and Evil
- Chrono Trigger
- Deus Ex
- DJ Hero
- Krater
- Journey
- Mega Man X
- Metroid Prime Trilogy
- The Longest Journey

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Skyrim
Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption
Oblivion
Dragon Age: Origins
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2
Ocarina of Time
World of Warcraft
Fallout 3

No particular order (except 1. Skyrim).

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
1) Grim Fandango
2) Fallout 2
3) Planescape Torment
4) Fatal Frame 2
5) Skies of Arcadia
6) Shenmue 1+2
7) Dungeon Keeper
8) Starcraft: Brood War
9) Shadow of the Colossus
10)Homeworld

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Halo: Combat Evolved
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Mass Effect 2 (But only if you've played the original Mass Effect)
Skyrim
Assassins Creed 2
Portal 2
Minecraft
Oblivion
Bioshock
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2

Noctius

Jul 21, 2011
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Shadow of the Colossus
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
Personna 3
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Catherine

mikeli4194

Jan 10, 2010
Best: (If I include more than one game in a series, it's 'cause I can't chose which)
1. God of War (the whole series)
2. Mass Effect (the whole series)
3. GTA: San Andreas
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Team Fortress 2
6. Left 4 Dead (both of them)
7. Commandos 2: Men of Courage
8. Red Dead Redemption
9. Fallout: New Vegas
10. Portal 2 (It edges out Portal 1 just because of its' brick-shittingly awesome ending)

Worst: (I haven't played that many bad games, but I'll just list a few that I hate, in no order)
- Too Human
- Medal of Honor (the recent one)
- Commandos: Strike Force
- Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
- Duke Nukem Forever
- Turok (the recent one)

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
Guitar Hero 5
I fucking love Guitar Hero. I love music and I love video games. Combining the two just hit a sweet spot in the pleasure center of my brain. Yeah, I'm "that guy" in my group of friends, but I only really play to have fun. Guitar Hero 5 has a great setlist for parties and has it's party mode, making it the thing I pull out when people are over.

New Super Mario Bros.
I lost this damn game 3 times and I bought a new version every time. It was pure Mario at its finest. Jumping, stomping, falling down pits. The only thing the kept me from getting pissed too much was the feeling of accomplishment when I finally beat the game.

Halo Reach
Seeing the final culmination of all of Bungie's hard work on this series paid off. Great co-op campaign and firefight. Incredibly customizable multiplayer that was always to blast to play. I wish Bungie luck on their future endeavors.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
One of two games that got me into "real" gaming. A shamelessly enjoyable campaign with one of my favorite game levels of all time(All Ghillied Up) that, for better or worse(ok, mostly worse), changed gaming drastically. Also, dat multiplayer

Lego Star Wars
Probably the sole reason outside of Liam Neeson that I give the Star Wars prequels any credit. Easy to play, ridiculously funny, and collectibles up the ass. This game was basically my childhood.

Kingdom Hearts
Oh my god Kingdom Hearts. I've never really been into JRPGs, so it still surprises me that I love this game so much. Sure, all the Disney fanservice probably helps, but I'm not a Disney fanboy either. I guess the game just manages to be engrossing after all these years. I think only beat the final bosses last year.

Portal
Making me feel smart is a really hard task. But beating Portal is quite rewarding. Short, sweet, and to the point, not to mention incredibly funny, Portal is one of those gaming zeniths that comes around only once in a while.

Mass Effect
Oh, Mass Effect. Your little shenanigans have stirred up quite the outrage. The entire series is fantastic IMO, but I put the first one because it just "feels" better. Sure, combat is not as refined as in the others, tech issues like pop-in and framerate drop are abundant, and the conversation animation is nowhere near as dynamic as the second(which is only a problem because you spend so long talking), but when playing Mass Effect 1, it sure as hell "felt" like a Space opera. A new and incredibly detailed Sci-Fi world, fantastic characters, and a definite three-act structure the the newer games lacked, Mass Effect was a fascinating journey

Shadow of the Colossus
"Some mountains are scaled. Others are slain." Holy crap, that's some good stuff there. As often as it is said, I'll say it again: This game is art, flaws and all. Which is saying something, because sometimes, these flaws are hard to ignore. A very unstable framerate, clipping issues, a camera that can charitably described as annoying, and the fact that your character flails around if a colossus so much twitches their eyelids. But all of that is eclipsed by an absolutely gorgeous world to explore, beautiful music, and the fact that you just jumped onto the wing of a dragon-thingy that is the size of a skyscraper.

Silent Hill 2
I owe Yahtzee my first born for getting me into this series. Wonderfully atmospheric, hauntingly creepy, and undeniably tragic, Silent Hill 2 is a rare gift to gamers and horror fans alike. It seems unreal how quickly you get sucked into this world and baffles me that it somehow makes you want to stay, even with all the creepy monsters around.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
I hesitated putting this here because I've always described KOTOR as a great "experience" rather than a great "game". There are three reasons for this. A)The gameplay can't really be described as exciting. Pause, issue orders, click on dudes, pause, rinse and repeat. Woo. B) It's pretty long game and it takes awhile to really get into the meat of it. C) Taris is the worst fucking opening level I've ever played. It goes on far too long, has very boring environments, and everyone there is super grumpy/racist. I've stopped playing this game before just because I hated playing on Taris. But once you get past that, the worlds you visit are colorful and exciting. Characters are more interesting. Everything is less dreary. The story is really interesting, with plot twists and intrigue. And it's fucking Star Wars. God, I love Star Wars.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
1. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
2. Team Fortress 2
3. Portal 2
4. Fallout 3
5. Gravity Rush

Honorable mentions goes to:
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Zelda: Wind Waker
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Skyrim
5. Pokémon Blue
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Crash Team Racing
8. Bioshock
9. Metal Gear Solid 3
10. Batman: Arkham Asylum

They're only in a rough order but numbering is tidy.

Grivahri

Mar 26, 2012
lithiumvocals said:
I hesitated putting this here because I've always described KOTOR as a great "experience" rather than a great "game". There are three reasons for this. A)The gameplay can't really be described as exciting. Pause, issue orders, click on dudes, pause, rinse and repeat. Woo. B) It's pretty long game and it takes awhile to really get into the meat of it. C) Taris is the worst fucking opening level I've ever played. It goes on far too long, has very boring environments, and everyone there is super grumpy/racist. I've stopped playing this game before just because I hated playing on Taris. But once you get past that, the worlds you visit are colorful and exciting. Characters are more interesting. Everything is less dreary. The story is really interesting, with plot twists and intrigue. And it's fucking Star Wars. God, I love Star Wars.
How can you not love Taris?

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
Grivahri said:
lithiumvocals said:
How can you not love Taris?
Because Taris is dildos.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
1.) Circle of Blood
2.) Bastion
3.) Witcher
4.) Portal
5.) Demon's Souls
6.) Grim Fandango
7.) Limbo
8.) Dead Space
9.) Monkey Island
10.) Half-Life 2

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
In no particular order:

Skyrim
Legend of Zelda
Rome: Total War
City of Heroes
Left For Dead
Half Life 2
Baldur's Gate 2 (with expansion)
Thief
Portal 2
Descent: Freespace

ReadyAmyFire

May 4, 2012
The Operative: No One Lives Forever
Metal Gear Solid
Medieval 2: Total War
IL2:46
ToCA 2 Touring Cars

Difficult to order them, but those are definite contenders.