Top 5 Favorite Bioware Characters

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
1)Irenicus- Baldur's Gate 2
2)Mordin Solus- Mass Effect 2
3)Minsc & Boo- Baldur's Gate 2
4)Alistair- Dragon Age Origins
5)Varric- Dragon Age 2

Garrus, HK-47, Shale and Thane would all be tied for 6th, btw.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Osaka117 said:
HK-47
HK-47
HK-47
HK-47
HK-47

Statement: The entire list is composed of HK-47 because there is no meatbag worthy enough to share the same space as him.
Queary: What about Legion?

DSK-

May 13, 2010
HK47
Wrex. (Shepard.)
Bastilla
Alistair
Joker

They made me laugh a great deal. I wouldn't say they are my only favourites, because there a great many I love. I just chose those because they came to mind quicker than my others :D

pixiejedi

Jan 8, 2009
Alistair- obviously. He's my favorite character of any video game ever so thats easy.

Joker- I wanna romance him in 3, he's the only person in the galaxy who is bad ass enough for my Shep.

Tali- Would have been the romance choice in 2 if they would be kosher with lesbian sex in it.

Jolee Bindo- he was the video game grandfather I never had...

Hk-47- No list is complete without him.

Bonus mentions to Mordin, Legion, Shale, and Logahain. All very interesting and awesome as well.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I think mass effect has great characters in general.

1. Female commander sheppard
2. Subject Zero
3. Liara T'soni
4. Grunt
5. Garrus

TheKmanofAwesometon

Jan 30, 2011
Lelianna -Dragon Age Origins
Merril-Dragon Age 2
Tom Undergallows-Neverwinter Nights(I hope I spelled his name right, its been a while)
Varric - Dragon Age 2
Morrigan - Dragon Age Origins

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Ailia said:
Top 5 because choosing just one would be impossible.
Bioware is known for their great characters, but which ones really stood out for you?

1. Edwin - Baldur's Gate I & II. Almost everything this man said had me in stitches. His accent, his attitude, his vocabulary; everything was awesome. His personal quests were interesting and utterly hilarious, and seeing him awkwardly flirt with Viconia was priceless. Plus I love that 10 years later we still find bitchy Edwinas in Bioware games.

2. Shale - Dragon Age: Origins. The whole cast was great but she stood out the most. Her pathological hatred towards pigeons and her desire to squish everything coupled with a girlish love for shiny gems made her truly memorable. Also, she kicked total ass in combat.

3. Anders - Dragon Age: Origins: Awakenings. His "Ser Pounce-a-lot" croonings made me giggle. His party interactions were witty and endearing (and drove my other party members up the wall) and his voice acting was spectacular. His change in DA2 was lamentable - he's by no means a bad character, but he just doesn't measure up to his Awakenings version.

4. Xan - Baldur's Gate. Because who doesn't need a depressed pessimist mage in their party? "We're all doomed."

5. Irenicus - Baldur's Gate II. I can recite most of his lines by heart, not even joking. I can't say that he was the best villain ever (and he was a total pushover as a boss), but his motivation, back story, and voice made me respect him.

Honorable mentions are Deekin from Neverwinter Nights, Legion and Garrus from Mass Effect, Zevran and Teyrn Loghain from Origins, Varric and Merrill from DA2, and Haer'Dalis from Baldur's Gate II (I don't know why, but he grew on me over the years).

Lamentably I haven't played KotOR yet, I've heard that there are many great characters in that game.
Lack of mention of HK-47, Minsc and Boo disqualifies your opinion.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
I'm not exactly the expert on Bioware games other than the mass effect series so..

1- Tali
2- Garrus
3- Urdnot Wrex
4- Commander Shepard (mine)
5- Harbinger

Thats right I said Harbinger, anyone who can take over another beings body and in doing so makes his skin crack and what appears to be fire come out of those cracks deserves his place on everyones favorite character lists, at least in the top 20.

EDIT: Oh and honorable mention has to go to Legion. I've always liked robot companions, especially when they are actually helpful, and like have a sniper rifle. Thats right C3P0, I'm looking at you, all you ever do is hobble around, why cant you be helpful like R2? Even if his beeps and boops get a bit annoying at least he's helpful. And my other honorable mention would have to be Thane Crios(sp?).

OT: Why do so many people like Jack? I can understand why she is like the way she is but still she creeps me OUT. I wouldn't have dared let her on my ship, EVER.

Ailia

Nov 11, 2010
Agayek said:
Ailia said:
-snip-
Lamentably I haven't played KotOR yet, I've heard that there are many great characters in that game.
Lack of mention of HK-47, Minsc and Boo disqualifies your opinion.
Going to point back up to my own comment ^^^^^^
Sorry if I haven't been able to find a copy of KotOR around here, I'd play it if I could. Minsc and Boo were memorable but they started to grate on my nerves after a while.

SpaceCop

Feb 14, 2010
Morrigan. She's cruel, manipulative, witty, cynical and intelligent. She also knows fifteen different poisons that grow right here in the Korcari Wilds. Not to suggest that is at all related to cooking, of course.

Garrus. He's dependable but insecure. Hotheaded but polite. He's damaged goods, but still determined to do good in the world. He's also a goddamn space cop. My first time landing on a planet with an alien squad member, and he reminded me to "remember to stay hydrated"; I just lost it. He's amazing.

Alistair. I liked him as soon as I met him. I love his easy-going, self-deprecating manner. He's a medieval Hoban Washburne, and his idle banter with Morrigan is the best part of the game.

Sten. BioWare did a great job portraying someone with a completely alien outlook and philosophy. He's stolid and gruff, but reliable and honourable in his own way, and he's part of some of the funniest moments in the game. He wasn't playing with that kitten, he was helping it train.

Jack. She's loud, angry, and probably has unironic Limp Bizkit posters in her room. But as she struggles to come to terms with her past and as the relationship between her and Shepard strengthens she really comes into her own as a character. I also loved her gutsy design, and it's great, among BioWare's woobies and honourable warrior guys, to have a metaphorical balls-out psychopath on your side.

Shout outs to Xan, Khelgar, Legion, Kaiden, Mordin, Wynne and HK-47, meatbags!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
DrStupid87 said:
4: Talitha from Mass Effect 1
(Great portrayal of someone barely holding on to their marbles after slaver horrors)
Oh hey, I remember her. She was that utterly messed up chick you meet on the dock if you have the colonist background.

I always thought that encounter was some of the best dialogue in all of Mass Effect. It came dangerously close to squeezing a tear out of me.

"No, no dreams. I promise."

Rex Fallout said:
OT: Why do so many people like Jack? I can understand why she is like the way she is but still she creeps me OUT. I wouldn't have dared let her on my ship, EVER.
Isn't that an indication of an effective character?

tarislan

Jan 25, 2010
HK-47
Minsc
Wrex
Shale

And, oddly, I think Merril may have snuck onto the list, by simply being so endearingly awkward.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Jack (Mass Effect 2, 2010)
The single most rounded and interesting female character I've encountered in the medium. Hell, the single most rounded and interesting character full stop, more like.
Refusing to conform. Damaged, sure, but not by any means broken.
She could easily have been an absolutely atrocious character smacking of white knight-self insertion, but that trap was firmly avoided throughout the course of Mass Effect 2.
I may have certain issues with the sheer speed of the romance (although that is an issue prevalent in nearly all of BioWare's games) but not great enough to overshadow the fact that she's, simply put, the best.

Leliana (Dragon Age: Origins, 2009)
Sheryl Chee is one hell of a writer. Along with Mary Kirby and David Gaider, she wrote the plethora of interesting and likable characters featured in the ridiculously substantial Origins.
Standing out as the prime example of her craft is Leliana: a pious bard, but with enough integrity not to accept the decrees of organised religion. Add to that a level of psychological depth you might not have expected intermingled with a general loveable disposition, and you've struck pudding gold.

Samara (Mass Effect 2, 2010)
Greek tragedy made flesh. Well, virtual alien flesh. And it just so happens that a lot of that flesh is on display...
Asari are a strange bunch.
But anyway, Samara is probably the most pitiable character in Mass Effect 2: a slave of her own grief, devoid of any natural moral relativity and unable to accept happiness as a concept she is deserving of.

Sigrun (Dragon Age: Awakening, 2010)
Another creation of Chee's, Sigrun was easily the highlight of Awakening (which I liked more than most people seemed to have).
Like Samara she struggles with feelings of inadequacy, but where Samara relinquishes any kind of responsibility to a moral code heedless of the consequences, Sigrun accepts her feelings of guilt as paramount to her very being.
Helping her see the other qualities she was innately in possession of was as rewarding an experience as I could've hoped for in a piece of interactive fiction.

Isabela (Dragon Age 2, 2011)
The pirate with a heart of gold and laughs aplenty. Sure, she's gorgeous, but it's the brilliant writing of Sheryl Chee (who else) which renders her such a genuine and multi-faceted character.
BioWare has never stooped for simple t'n'a (no, not even Miranda is bereft of intrinsic depth), and Isabela is demonstrably a fine addition to this lack of vacuity.

And I count that as three fantastic female rogues on Chee's track record. What gives?!

Bearadox_42

Mar 10, 2011
1.Wild Flower (Jade Empire): The whole having to decide whether to help the evil demon or the good Guardian...Also hearing the demon speak through her was just creepy.
2.HK-47 (KOTOR I&II): Robot assassin who lovingly calls all human "meat bags"...what more needs said.
3.Minsc and Boo (Baldur's Gate II): Crazy barbarian who talks to his hamster? Hell yes!
4.Teyrn Loghain Mac Tir (Dragon Age: Origins): I just loved his reasons for betraying the king. He did what he thought was best for everyone. The way even though he did something horrible you really can't argue with his reasoning was just so cool.
5.Joker (Mass Effect): Voiced by Seth Green...enough said