Top 5 Favorite Movies?

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
For me there's a big difference between 'the best movies' and 'favourite movies'. I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of if not the best movie ever made, but that doesn't make it an easy watch though. And my favourite movies are the ones I love watching no matter how many times I've seen them.
Ditto. Good and enjoyable are two different qualities.

OT:

1. The Raid: Redemption. The best movie that realizes all you want to see is asians beating the shit out each other.
2. Airplane. A fucking funny movie with great Leslie Nealson.
3. The Naked Gun. Hey, more Leslie Nealson.
4. Idiocracy. Because I have a low opinion of most people.
5. The Onion movie: 90 minute of the greatest comedy newspaper's attempt at narrative.

man, I really love comedy movies.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Nazulu said:
This isn't 100%, just what I've seen the most often.

5) Titanic - Unfortunately it's not popular here, but this film has every thing, and it does most of it really well. Plus most of you would know of the 7 memorable scenes that came out it, and they're not memorable by accident either. Can't make them like that any more. I don't know why but there hasn't been any thing close since The Return Of The King.

4) Poltergeist - Most reviews I read about this made it sound so average, but even though it wasn't the scariest, it was fucking well done. It starts of well and suddenly becomes incredible when the poltergeist appears, with amazing scene after amazing scene. I can't believe how dramatic the ending became, now that's how you panic. Can't make them like that any more. And I bet if they tried, they would whore the special effects.

3) Indiana Jones: Raiders Of The Lost Arc - Fun, fast, funny, some what original, some amazing experiences and packs a punch at the end. This is what a perfect film looks like. Can't make them like that any more, since it requires common sense.

2) Fantasia 1940 - The greatest of animation to go with some amazing classic music, but it's the idea's that make this a masterpiece. Can't make them like that any more, probably cause they should be hiring more talented people instead of dumb asses that look pretty and only aim for the money.

1) 2001: A Space Odyssey - Honestly, I find most of it boring except the first 30 minutes and the last 30 minutes. The stargate scene and the end is the best I've seen out of all. Can't make them like that any more, but they should be fucking trying!
Cant believe I forgot Fantasia that was such a good movie truly a masterpiece

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Oh look, Marter's been here already :p With that Sporpicrap.

For me, well... in no particular order apart from Let The Right One In's place.

1.Let The Right One In. It is the best movie ever made, no argument should ever be made over this. It just riles up so many emotions every time I watch it.
2.End of Evangelion.
3.Scott Pilgrim Vs The World.
4.The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford.
5.Moon.

This is difficult, there are way too many films that I love.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
1) O Brother, Where Art Thou?

The great acting of all the stars combined with special memories of watching this film with my cousins make this my all time favorite movie. It makes me laugh every time I watch it. And plus, an extremely catchy soundtrack.

2. Full Metal Jacket

Intense from beginning to end. Keeps you on the edge of your seat. And the scene at the end with the dying sniper always makes my heart stop.

3. The Mask

Anytime I'm feeling angry or upset, this movie always cheers me up. This is my personal favorite Jim Carrey movie (although any movie with him in it tends to be great).

4. Yes Man

Another Jim Carrey film which leaves with that WAFF, no matter how many times I watch it.

5. The Breakfast Club

This movie hits really close to home. That's all I have to say about that. (By no means is my social life difficult, it's just very accurate with the way the students are portrayed.)

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Hmm, this is a hard one, it always seems to be changing on my mood, but right now...my favorite movies are the following.

1. How To Train Your Dragon - A fantastically animated tale of an outcast among his own people finding and befriending a dragon. It is heavily inspired by Viking Culture as far as aesthetics go, and it's characters are very memorable. Plus it has my favorite mythological creature by the tons in all sorts of cool variations. It has my number 1 spot cause never in my life have I re-watched a movie so much that I can practically quote the entire script.

2. The Lord Of The Rings - All of the movies. Arguable the best book to movie adaption ever made. It is this very series that inspired me to write fantasy, and it currently has the best variation of a wizard in any media. Gandalf played by Sir Ian McKellan is the pinnacle of what a great wizard should be. Old, wise, and able to kick so much ass not even a freaking Balrog could keep him down for long.

3. Starship Troopers - I FUCKING LOVE THIS MOVIE. In itself, the entire movie is a subtle parody of the government system it portrays, but on the surface, it is an extremely fun, if a bit cheesy sci-fi action flick with terrific CGI. The acting is god awful, but in a good way, the entire movie has this aura of fun surrounding it and you really can't help but smile during the parts of the movie where the main characters are training in the military. You can definitely tell the actors had fun with their parts. It also has plenty of shameless gore, which for me is a big thumbs up. If you haven't seen this movie, watch it...you will have SOOOO much fun.

4. Star Wars - All of the movies. Yes even the prequels (which weren't even that bad). As a little kid, the original trilogy captured my imagination, and inspired me to write my own little adventure tales based in the Star Wars universe. Little did I know I was writing unintentional fan-fic at the time but that phase didn't last long. Point is, it had a big affect on my decision to be a writer, much like Lord of the Rings. And come on...it's Samurais in space..what is not to like?

5. Troll Hunter - You know...I was never a fan of found footage films. I hated Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity, but during a time in my life where I was just getting into films outside of Hollywood, I came across this gem. Dear god, this movie was fantastic, it's about a group of college students trying to put together a documentary on this guy who they think is a poacher, but after a bit of tailing, they learn that he was hired by the government to hunt Trolls. From there came a roller coaster ride of pure suspense and enjoyment. I won't spoil anything else for you, so please just go out and watch it. It really is a great movie.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
aba1 said:
Cant believe I forgot Fantasia that was such a good movie truly a masterpiece
Hehe, I can never forget it. It's my main inspiration that started me drawing, animating and listening to classical music plus progressive rock.

FirstToStrike said:
2. Full Metal Jacket

Intense from beginning to end. Keeps you on the edge of your seat. And the scene at the end with the dying sniper always makes my heart stop.
Hell Yes! Most people I know prefered the first half of the film, but I loved the strategy the sniper used to lure the soldiers out and the rest till the end. It was a little too realitsic the first time but I love it now.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
There's no way I can put them in order, so here goes:

Casablanca: It has something for everyone; action, romance, suspense, intrigue.
The Seventh Seal: The definitive film for Ingmar Bergman's borderline nihilistic style.
Himmel Uber Berlin (Wings of Desire): An introspective and thought provoking view on the human condition. Somehow inspired City of Angels, but don't hold that against it. Also, it has Peter Falk. As Peter Falk.
Memento: I absolutely adored the presentation, and I think it's definitely Christopher Nolan's best directorial work.
Crash (2004): A powerful look at just how interconnected individual lives can be.

Honourable Mention: Magnolia. Another one about interconnected lives, but more absurdist.

Mr.Philip

Jul 26, 2012
1. Indie Game: The Movie
This was the first movie where at the end I thought, "This might be my favorite movie of all time" I combines two of some of my favorite things, video games, and documentaries that show a personal side of entertainment industries.

2. A Christmas Story
I've watched that movie over 60 times and it's still good.

3. Reservoir Dogs
My favorite Quentin Tarantino movie.

4. Batman Begins/The Dark Knight
I can't choose between these, I love the Joker, and the bank heist scene in the dark knight, but I also love the Scarecrow, and seeing how Batman... Began (uh... no pun intended)

5. Team America
Probably my favorite comedy, plus the special features were inspiring.

The spongebob movie was pretty good too...

Existentialistme

Jan 6, 2011
JEBWrench said:
There's no way I can put them in order, so here goes:

Casablanca: It has something for everyone; action, romance, suspense, intrigue.
The Seventh Seal: The definitive film for Ingmar Bergman's borderline nihilistic style.
Himmel Uber Berlin (Wings of Desire): An introspective and thought provoking view on the human condition. Somehow inspired City of Angels, but don't hold that against it. Also, it has Peter Falk. As Peter Falk.
Memento: I absolutely adored the presentation, and I think it's definitely Christopher Nolan's best directorial work.
Crash (2004): A powerful look at just how interconnected individual lives can be.

Honourable Mention: Magnolia. Another one about interconnected lives, but more absurdist.
Good list. You actually watch important films, which is nice. Though I would definitely switch out Magnolia for Crash, seeing as Crash kind of felt like a lesser version of Magnolia - at least to me. Magnolia is just so poignant and heavy. Three hours of intense emotional character study.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Existentialistme said:
Good list. You actually watch important films, which is nice. Though I would definitely switch out Magnolia for Crash, seeing as Crash kind of felt like a lesser version of Magnolia - at least to me. Magnolia is just so poignant and heavy. Three hours of intense emotional character study.
I guess my brief foray into film school is showing. >.>

I debated with myself for a while between the two. (I always do when I post in a thread like this.)
This time, Crash came out on top, because its cinematography and pacing compliment the aesthetic of the film better than it does with Magnolia. My current mindset is more along the lines of its theme of rapidly crashing lives together just for a brief moment of contact.

Another one I throw in to the discussion is Amelie, but I haven't actually watched that one enough to really grok it.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I like lots of Sci-fi...

1. 2001: a Space Odyssey...
2. Blade Runner...
3. Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence...
4. Castaway...
5. A Scanner Darkly...

Can you tell which one is out of place?

...<.<

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
mattttherman3 said:
1. The Rob Zombie Halloween remake. Brilliantly done, greatest story ever told.
2. The Simpsons Movie. Best animated movie hands down. Great action and comedy.
3. Red Dawn the new one. Chris Hemsworth's best performance yet, and the supporting cast was sublime
4. Jennifer's Body. Greatest performance I've ever seen with female leads.
5. Green Lantern. I just really loved this movie.

whatever you are on, I want some of it. anything apart from the Simpsons movie I found to be awful.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
In order of number 1 to 5 top favorite.

1. Legend (Tim Curry is the greatest devil eve,r walking out of a mirror)
2. Abyss (the extended version had a sound track to this date I have never acquired, oh and the movie was badass)
3. Top Gun ( as a kid this was the movie of awesome fighter jets and kill cool shit)
4. Total Recall ( after seeing Aliens and Predator original versions, this was the only one to give me nightmares in the 80's)
5. Arachnophobia (LOVE IT, John Goodman was great and it was silly with fear for those who hate spiders.)

Spiders rock
Jets rock
Demons rock
Aliens rock
Mars rock.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
1. Se7en
2. Scott Pilgrim
3. Daybreakers
4. Star Wars
5. Indiana Jones

and since I can't just stop there...

6. Shaun of the Dead
7. Austin powers
8. Terminator
9. Total recall (original)
10. Fright Night

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
1. Pi - Hands down my favourite film ever made. (not to be confused with recent Life of Pi - different is different)
2. Old Boy
3. District 9
4. Brazil
5. can't decide between May and Benny and Joon.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
No particular order.

1. Aliens (1986)
2. The Thing (1982)
3. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
4. Hot Fuzz (2007)
5. The Frighteners (1996)

Honorable Mentions:
Red Dawn (1984)
Starship Troopers (1997)
Reservoir Dogs (1992)