Top 5 Friday: Top 5 Most Gruesome Videogame Deaths

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
FFP2 said:
Man, I still wanna see Lisa return...

At least she tried to properly explain her opinion and made it interesting.
She does a show on TGS now, if you didn't already know.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
AC10 said:
TGS?

OT: I also noticed how relatively new these games are. What about that rape scene in SH2? I don't remember if that thing died but it was still pretty messed up.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
These videos are pretty meh so far.

They just feel/look/sound so made.
Like the presenter doesn't actually believe what he sais, but is just reading an auto queue that someone higher up decided for him.

I also excepted executions that the PC did, instead of executions TO the PC.

Where is Manhunt?

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
AC10 said:
FFP2 said:
Man, I still wanna see Lisa return...

At least she tried to properly explain her opinion and made it interesting.
So does anyone know what happened to Lisa's top 5 show? I really enjoyed it (and yes, perhaps part of the reason was because she was cute, but I also enjoyed the content quite a lot, I still remember her rant about Robin's clompy magnetic shoes, which always brings a smile to my face). That show just disappeared with no explanation, which always left me wondering. What happened? Was it the Escapist that cancelled it? Was it her? Some outside force?

I have no strong feelings about this show one way or the other. Too soon to tell :)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
FFP2 said:
AC10 said:
TGS?

OT: I also noticed how relatively new these games are. What about that rape scene in SH2? I don't remember if that thing died but it was still pretty messed up.
It's "The Game Station". it has the likes of Totalbiscuit, Jesse Cox, Dodger, and some others.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGameStation?feature=watch

Lisa kind of just does a news show called REMAG. However, just being news, it's probably not really that interesting to learn about gaming news a year old :p

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Not even a Waxworks mention?

Sorry guys but this show is boring and poorly done. Atleast Lisa Foiles put some emotion into even the silliest of top 5's.

Sorry, but i can't wait until these guys are replaced again.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Zombie Sodomy said:
Would someone who played that God of War please tell me why Kratos ripped the sun's head off? The last time someone else tried to drive the golden chariot he almost destroyed the Earth and Zeus had to kill him to save everyone. The Earth should now either get burned, or fall into everlasting night. I'm certain the game developers have taken other great liberties when it comes to Greek mythology but seriously, why murder the sun? I'm not just complaining as a massive mythology nerd, I'm legitimately curious as to why Kratos killed Helios. Another question: does God of War acknowledge Helios as the sun, or at least it's driver? I know that a lot of people are under the mistaken impression that Apollo is the sun because he's the god of light, among other things, but it's Helios.
I've played all of the God of War games (so far) and, by the last game, I just couldn't give a damn about the story. The first had a decent redemption arch, the second a decent revenge story, but the third...I don't even know why Kratos was angry. Not to mention the ending was very bland and lacking in the emotional resonance the game developers wanted it to have. All in my opinion, of course.

I can't remember if they ever killed Apollo in the series, probably one of the few gods remaining in the series, but Helios was his own character and in a few of the games was vital to, well, having the sun out. In GoWIII you rip off his head so you can see in the dark that's created after his chariot goes down in the sky. Once this happens, the world is actually thrown into a place of darkness and fire. The effects of the Greek gods dying can be seen as you play through the game, which is a neat effect.

But, really, the only reason why Kratos went after him was because Zeus ordered Helios to fight Kratos. That's the main reason, a secondary one being the light from the sun helping to clear the path to Olympus. Although, after all this time, does Kratos need an excuse to kill someone, much less care if he does?

I think they got the majority of the mythology behind Helios right (Apollo not so much). My mythology is rusty after all these years, and the GoW series has taken huge liberties in Ancient Greek mythology, but they did get a few things right.

Fiairflair

Polymath
Oct 16, 2012
A top 5 list should dazzle me with the sheer knowledge and experience of the presenter and have me hoping that my favourite content is on there. I should see each one and either think 'Wow! I think I'll go play that,' or 'Yes! I hoped they would feature this!' If it can, it should also present unusual choices and explain why they are worthy.
I'll admit that I'm a bit biased against this particular list. I don't give a damn about gore in games, but I know it appeals to a lot of gamers (which is fine). But even if the content isn't to my taste, the style and expression in the video should be.

With Top 5 Friday, I've seen a very narrow range of games and genres, choices that I'm indifferent to because the reasons for choosing them are unclear and presentation that lacks character. If these videos are to get better, they need to...
1) engage the audience with diverse content
2) tease and please us with the choices, and
3) establish interesting personas for each presenter

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
This really disturbed me. Seriously, the entire premise of this top 5 list was okay, but the host's use of "amazing" and "awesome" as the deaths became more brutal just was cringe-worthy for me. Yes, I clicked on it to get a top 5 most brutal death scenes, but "awesome" isn't a word I'd describe it.

It isn't inappropriate, just didn't realize I was so sensitive.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
This wasn't top 5 video game deaths this was top 5 video games I think have cool death sequences. I was hoping for something much more specific like say Isacc getting a needle and drill through his face in Dead Space 2.

Lusty

Dec 12, 2008
Why does he keep doing that annoying hip hop thing with his hands? It makes him look uncomfortable, like all those white kids TV presenters in the 90s who had to wear sideways baseball caps and shout 'radical' and 'bodacious' all the time.

Waddles

Mar 16, 2010
This video was basically marketing blurb for 5 bad games. Will not be watching this series again.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
See, When Jim started doing the vids, they weren't great, but he listened and adapted and now has one of the best shows on the site, judging by the slight 'toys out the pram' comments in the FB section from the creator, these guys don't seem to be willing to learn from this. Its not the So called 'corporate pandering' its...you just kinda list them and go "These games were great! they sure were, i love this part" Its possible to show you're love for something without sounding like a monotone robot reading off a script. Add some humour at least.

But no, sorry I forgot you're too busy doing poor Troll baiting in the FB section, I don't dishate that you're doing it as 90% of the time its bloody funny, but at least make it, you know, Witty?

Lusty

Dec 12, 2008
Danial said:
Its not the So called 'corporate pandering' its...you just kinda list them and go "These games were great! they sure were, i love this part" Its possible to show you're love for something without sounding like a monotone robot reading off a script. Add some humour at least.
The Max Payne 3 bit is actually cringe inducing. 'Man, what a good game!' Urgh...

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Azuaron said:
"The death scenes for all the gods were incredibly violent, and, therefore, incredibly awesome."

Can we get something a little more sophisticated than "violence is teh awesome"?
Yeah, any QTE based hack-slash fest could go there based on that logic. Or ya know, the lower ranked Mortal Kombat in the same show that's possibly a better example for that.

Anyhow yeah, this show doesn't appear to have much to say, and seems drastically stuck in the last four or five years. The premises are pretty basic, and theres not even an attempt at delving into this with some humor.

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
Good god, this is worse than Jimquisition's start, and that series made me actively hate the man for a while. This video... just made me cringe. The brodude was so thick it positively oozed from the screen. And I was eating breakfast.

Gross.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
This show is... a... show. Underwhelming, to say the least.

You know, if I was talking about disturbing death scenes in videogames, I probably would try to avoid saying that they were "sweet". Max Payne 3 wasn't sweet, it was horrifically violent. I assume that's why it made this list, right?

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
Chadling said:
Good god, this is worse than Jimquisition's start, and that series made me actively hate the man for a while.
Same. Then I didn't watch for a bit, until a Jimquisition topic intrigued me; now I'm not missing a thing he does.

I'm going to try this for SmoshTV, but I don't think it will work.

Additionally, Max Payne 3 shouldn't be anywhere near this list. Yes, it was graphic, but it was just guys getting shot, and that happens in just shy of every game ever. As soon as someone in another game loses a limb (for example), no matter the graphics quality, it is automatically more gruesome.