Top 5 Manly Movies that Make Guys Cry

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Top 5 Manly Movies that Make Guys Cry

Even the manliest of men cry at the movies, though they might not admit it.

Read Full Article

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I agree with the first two.

Probably coincidentally, but those are the two with the good music.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I Am Legend - The part with the dog, right there in the feels. I have a few big dogs of my own and if I get one that's vicious, kills animals, just a bad seed, I leave it to someone else to figure out what to do. The rest of the movie, talking to the mannequin, asking it on a date? Just *shudder* so bad. And yea, CG zombies didn't help either.

Wash went out like a poet. It was sudden but not entirely unexpected. I would hope to die in a similar manner.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I Am Legend would have been so much better if it had the original book's ending.

Like the movie, Neville killed a lot of the infected and tried to find a cure. The difference is that in the book the infected were slowly trying to overcome their disease and build a new society. The protagonist is executed by this new society in the end, when he realizes that he, a remnant of old humanity, is now a legend to the new race born of the infection. He recognises that their desire to kill him is not something he can condemn. As he dies, he thinks: "[I am] a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend."

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
RA92 said:
I Am Legend would have been so much better if it had the original book's ending.

Like the movie, Neville killed a lot of the infected and tried to find a cure. The difference is that in the book the infected were slowly trying to overcome their disease and build a new society. The protagonist is executed by this new society in the end, when he realizes that he, a remnant of old humanity, is now a legend to the new race born of the infection. He recognises that their desire to kill him is not something he can condemn. As he dies, he thinks: "[I am] a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend."
I said this exact same thing before...however nobody reads anymore or understands that this was a 150 page novel that so many have tried to make into a full length film without even understanding the subtext.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
RA92 said:

Yes. Movie ending actually made that movie worse. It could have been a fantastic adaptation if they were true to the original idea and message.

As for the list, I admit that I cried at the end of Judgement Day. But I was 7 or 8 years old when I first saw it. Also, I cried like a ***** during Green Mile. I'm not ashamed of that. "There's a heartbeat under my skin."

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
With the Armageddon example, I always found the followup scene to be way more emotional.

The world has been told what is really going on and everyone is watching on TV as the astronauts and the drilling team are walking toward the shuttle. The little boy recognizes the "salesman" from earlier and tells his mother. The ex-wife realizes why the guy wanted to see his son earlier and corrects the boy: "That's not a salesman. That's your father.".

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
This is the best article ever! It's so funny and well-written. I'm by no means biased at all! (Frantically smiles and backs out of room)

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I completely disagree with this list, though I get how they can inspire feelings that make dudes baw. Some of these are just not that moving, even if we love Wash, and who didn't, it was more shocking than anything and at that point a lot was happening, too much to get broken up about it. I Am Legend actually made me laugh, hard, particularly when a friend of mine pointed out how it reminded him of the old In Living Color bits with Duke and Cornbread:

For me I got misty-eyed from Beaches (yes, Beaches, goddamnit), Cloud Atlas, and to my continued surprise Wreck it Ralph when he made the choice to sacrifice himself to save Sugar Rush.

Edit:
RA92 said:

Wasn't that mostly how the original movie with Vincent Price ended?

DME

Feb 26, 2014
I can kind of agree with Terminator and Armageddon, but not the rest. How about Transformers the animated movie? When I first saw that as a kid I bawled my eyes out when Optimus died. I still get misty when I see it, and my Dad refuses to watch, or even hear about the movie.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
RA92 said:

There actually was a different ending to the movie which was way better than the one we got. The only problem was that idiot focus groups were idiots and whined about the ending not being action-y enough. It wasn't exactly the same as the book ending you described but it was closer and way better than the movie ending we got.

Basically the one Zombie that got kidnapped by Neville to try and get a cure from was the wife of one of the Zombie Dudes. So most of the time they were just trying to save one of their own. It also shows that they are getting more intelligent than first assumed and therefore hints a bit about them maybe building a society on their own.

You can watch that ending on youtube, it's from the directors cut. So my point is: You can't blame the directors 100% on the ending. They originally did made a good one and were kinda forced to change it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
This movie causes me to shed more man tears than any other.

Though, I am shocked at how different trailers were in the 1980s.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
What about us manly women, huh? Or are you forgetting about us because we're constant sobbing messes without the need of sad movies, HUH??!

On a serious note, I need to watch Wrath of Khan again. Seeing it in the new ST film made me feel a little bit but we all knew it was gonna be okay.

I grew up with Alsations so that part in I Am Legend really got me. The person I was watching it with actually tried to turn my head away from the screen so I couldn't see it.

Also surprised The Green Mile wasn't on here too...

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
EeveeElectro said:
What about us manly women, huh? Or are you forgetting about us because we're constant sobbing messes without the need of sad movies, HUH??!

On a serious note, I need to watch Wrath of Khan again. Seeing it in the new ST film made me feel a little bit but we all knew it was gonna be okay.

I grew up with Alsations so that part in I Am Legend really got me. The person I was watching it with actually tried to turn my head away from the screen so I couldn't see it.

Not forgotten, and I cry more than my wife does. This is a pilot to see if the article would work, and if so, a series of articles would be written. The title of the series would be less "Man" oriented than this one-off. And if you notice at the beginning, I do say that women can cry at these movies as well.

Still friends?

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Firefilm said:
EeveeElectro said:

Not forgotten, and I cry more than my wife does. This is a pilot to see if the article would work, and if so, a series of articles would be written. The title of the series would be less "Man" oriented than this one-off. And if you notice at the beginning, I do say that women can cry at these movies as well.

Still friends?
I don't have time to read the article when my whole gender is being so badly oppressed! Hmmph!

With a srs face now, it seems to have taken off pretty well with people adding their own suggestions.

It's a nice reminder that manly doesn't always have to mean testosterone fuelled grunting and fighting, the right team can make a movie that appeals to both genders.
I know it's more of a chick flick but Marley and Me made me fill up ahout 12 buckets worth of tears and most men aren't ashamed to admit they did the same.

Will be keeping a look out for further articles!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Of all the souls I encountered on my travels. His was the most...human.

*sniff*

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Amaror said:
RA92 said:

There actually was a different ending to the movie which was way better than the one we got. The only problem was that idiot focus groups were idiots and whined about the ending not being action-y enough. It wasn't exactly the same as the book ending you described but it was closer and way better than the movie ending we got.

Basically the one Zombie that got kidnapped by Neville to try and get a cure from was the wife of one of the Zombie Dudes. So most of the time they were just trying to save one of their own. It also shows that they are getting more intelligent than first assumed and therefore hints a bit about them maybe building a society on their own.

You can watch that ending on youtube, it's from the directors cut. So my point is: You can't blame the directors 100% on the ending. They originally did made a good one and were kinda forced to change it.
That's genuinely sad. Why do focus groups have to ruin everything?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The scene that 'got' me in Serenity was when they found out where the monsters came from.

Good list, and fun article.