Topical Tuesday: In-Game Death

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Easy:

Jark212 said:
I was hauling ass running away from a Deathclaw in Fallout 3 (on the hardest difficulty) when it suddenly flew up into the air. I was pretty happy, then out of nowhere an Albino Radscorpion appeared and proceeded raped me...
That shut me up as I stared at the screen with my mouth open for two minutes, as I wondered what the hell just happened...

TheVaultHunter

Sep 10, 2010
So I'm in a bar in Armadillo, Red Dead Redemption. I'm trying to get my character shitfaced on mystery booze, and all is well. Then out of nowhere (bear in mind I cannot use weapons while buying drinks at the bar) a fucking COYOTE runs into the bar and takes me down! Wild west my ass.

Horus Lupercal

Mar 17, 2010
Not my death but an enemy.
In Planetside me and a buddy was doing some recon and I were doing some sniping from a hilltop, with my buddy standing watch, when suddenly a mosquito (scout plane) comes flying towards us, I slide down the hill pulling up my assault rifle (we were with the Terran Republic) as the mosquito hits my buddy in the chest flying with him stuck to the front right into a tree pinning him there.
As the plane hit him he was firing on full auto into the cocpit and so was I as I slid down the slope, destroying the plane seconds after my friend was pinned to the tree, it was indeed an awesome moment.

My most epic, or maybe most humuliating death was (still on planetside) when we again were doing recon for our forces, we were spotted out in the open and as we came under attack we split up.
i hid under some rocks to ambush our pursuers as a assault plane came hovering down and looked into the small hole where I was covering, needles to say he opened fire and I was thorn to shreds.

Man! I miss playing Planetside, I do wish someone makes a remake or maybe a sequel.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
My most memorable death was due to it being so funny. Original Half Life deathmatch. Level: Jail Cell Rats (or possibly one of the other similar variants).

I was low on armor and ammo, so I run into the one hallway that's next to the big grate on the side of the map that you get the rocket launcher in. I wanted to see if any had recently spawned in the hallway. At the other end of the hallway, for those unfamiliar with the map, is a little cubby-hole on the right side with a ladder going up to the next level. This is kind of the bottom corner of the whole map. I'm running in the open end of the hallway just as someone jumps down where the ladder is. Both of us were looking for the ammo and armor, and it hadn't re-spawned yet from whoever last got it. So, I had my pistol out and so did this guy. I'm firing; he's firing; we're both strafing and hitting nothing. We both run out of bullets pretty much simultaneously, so we both pull out crowbars and go to wail on each other. He's a little quicker on the draw, so he gets the first hit in, as we're dancing around in the tight hallway, hitting each other and trying not to get hit ourselves. I think because he got the first hit in, he won, because we were about evenly matched, blow for blow. So he finally kills me, and through our dancing, he's ended up in the cubby-hole next to the ladder. My kill-cam has me looking up at him. He looks down at me for a split-second, as if to make sure I was actually dead. At that exact instant, a grenade lands right on his head from above. I don't know if someone deliberately threw it on him or if it simply missed and fell from a throw that missed someone else. Plus, it's pretty unlikely for the grenade to actually land on your head, rather than bouncing off it and landing on the ground. But anyway, the grenade *plinks* on his head. Hearing the sound, he looks upward, right at the grenade, and I swear that if I had seen the guy behind the computer, he would have been like "What?" right before he exploded. It's like for a moment, he forgot it was a multiplayer game, and that I wasn't his only opponent. All I know is I burst out laughing at the whole thing.

It was so fast, too. Within a few seconds, it was *Run!* *see each other* Oh crap! *Bang! Bang! Bang!* *click* *whip* *WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK!* *DEAD* Whew! *plink* What? *BOOM!*

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
No death is ever quite so funny as when Im playing World of warcraft on my priest and manage to kill myself with shadow word death. It always makes me smile, generally gets a laugh from everyone else, and is especially rewarding since supposedly its very hard to do these days, despite that fact that I can usually manage it once a week without intending too :p

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Well, I have a habit of dying in the most epic and unconventional of ways, so I'll just go with most recent.
In Demon's Souls when I was fighting to the death with the two ManEaters. they both leaped at me as I swung my Northern Regalia. We all killed eachother. Needless to say, it was awesome. And luckily it counted as a kill for me so I didn't have to redo it.

MrShowerHead

Jun 28, 2010
ArmA II RPG server, when a leader of this mafia found out that I'm a traitor(Long story) He did a Hollywood like execution on me. First shot me in the leg and then my head. All with epic one-liners. It was epic.

Even more epic was when I got my revenge :)

FollowUp

Mar 25, 2010
Playing Left 4 Dead 2, at the finale waiting for Vergil and his boat. I was at 20 health, running for it, when there's a tank that suddenly appears backhands me, 35 feet onto the boat. HOWEVER. This incaps me, so I'm considered as dead, despite being on the boat with the others, very much alive.

ReprobateGamer

Mar 11, 2010
Resident Evil 3 gave you the option of dodging if you got the button timing right, rather than firing. Got caught between two Hunters who took turns to do their decapitation strike which I managed to dodge a good dozen times - though I was wanting to shoot them. It didn't end well.

Resident Evil 5: Reapers and Duvalia. Their insta-kills were a surprise.

Dead Space: one of the tentacles grabs me and starts dragging me through the corridor. Ah, that big orange thing looks suspicious, I'll shoot that. Oh wait, I've got the Line Gun and it won't let me fire it, hang on I'll change to the Plasma Cutter ... ohh it's dragged me quite far, never mind a clean shot here ... oops missed ... still we'll try again ... blast it and ... missed again ... fuck it full auto and ... oh I'm in a tunnel ... yes I've escaped from the tenta ... wait it it's grabbed me again and ... are those bones it's just spat out???

The Unreal Tournaments mentions are stirring some memories - I do remember some opposing players being scarily good with a redeemer (pilotable nuke) but turning around to see the spiral smoke pattern of six homing rockets ...
There was also one of the user created Assault maps on UT2k4 - one of the 'storm the castle' where a combination of rocket hits left my battered corpse resting on the final objective - which was the nearest the team got that game to that objective.
Another tank related death - on the map Robot Factory there was an Ion Cannon (big plasma explosions with lots of splash damage and lots of push. Somehow, it managed to fling a tank into the air and guess who caught the tank in the side of the head ... to make it worse, the tank was on the same team as I was ...

Left 4 Dead 2 - (having never played L4D)first ever game (offline) step out onto the ledge around the hotel, step back into the room for a Charger to appear in the doorway. Me, he and Nick ended up on a roof a surprising distance away from the hotel.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Super Smash Brothers Melee, my two roommates and myself all chose random and all got Jiggly Puff. I am by far the inferior player of the three. I managed to kill them both and win the death match with Jiggly Puff whom I'd never played before!

Theninja'skatana

Aug 29, 2010
Tf2 as a scout i was making a mad rush during the beginng few minutes in the game in 2fort across the top of the bridge when suddenly a single (thankfully) sticky denotes behind me propelling me through the air like some kind of brooklyn acrobat, I ran like the ninny that I am straght into the room outside the spawn (the four way one) Only to discover my enemies WERE ALL ENGIES (TURRETS INCLUDED!!!)

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Probably my first ever online match on Super Street Fighter IV. I was playing as Cammy, as i normally do, and i was fighting a Gen. I have never been pwned faster. literally 5 seconds to perfect me. Again and then again. Never recovered from that. Some people REALLY have mastered that game.

sycoesis

May 31, 2010
i was playing cod waw with a couple of friends and well they camp and snipe constantly so i randomly fired my gun uot of boredom and go a head shot across the map the kill cam was the greatest thing i have ever seen

to clear up something about the post it was split screen so i got to see the kill cam

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Having about 10 health left on Killing Floor, with the last creature being a Fleshpound. About 18 rounds left in my AA12. I shoot him with my pistol to aggravate him, then charge in with my shotty. Nobody survived.

Rasputin1

Don't panic
Apr 6, 2010
Ponch said:
Mine was a "Sticky Hug" kill in HALO 2. My brothers and some friends were playing against each other, but I totally sucked(still do). Any time I'd go for a kill, I'd get gunned down. Well, one time I got hit with a sticky and just decided to run up on whoever was around the corner so I could get shot instead of blown up. Problem for my buddy was, he was reloading, so what ended up happening was, I ran straight up to him and since he was dual-wielding pistols, it looked like I had stopped by for a hug right when I exploded.
Sticky hug... Ew. You could've picked a better name for it.

CharlesBronson

Jun 12, 2010
Very early in my first playthrough of fallout 3 (when your character is still weak and therefore you are still very cautious) I was slinking my way through a partially collapsed subway tunnel. I came up to a partially destroyed section that served as a ramp to an upper level and started making my way up. I took three steps and then heard *snap*, I looked down to my right and saw I stepped through a trip wire. I froze, but... nothing happened. I said to myself "Huh, that was anti climactic..." and turned back to face the ramp I was scaling. As I turned I saw three grenades casually rolling down the ramp towards me. Boom!

That is when I realized this game was awesome.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
When I was a little kid and played pacman for the first time. I had no idea how to play it and started to spin like a spaz in a three dots area. A big one appeared randomly near me and I ate it just before two ghosts getting to squish me.

Me and my friends had a good laughter

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
I was playing halo 3 on the valhalla map, and the was a banshee flying right outside the grav lifts, so i decided that I would try to sky jack the banshee, but splattered myself on it , despite it being nearly stationary

Haunted Herring

The Toy Commander
Jan 24, 2010
My best kill would be from WoW, I was a mage in Arathi Basin and I was up on the Lumber Mill on a cliff. I was fighting a hunter, another mage and a priest healing them. When I was almost dead I blinked up to them and used Blast Wave. It sent all three of them flying to their deaths.

My most epic death isn't actually mine but... me and my mate were playing Invasion on the Halo:reach beta. We were the Elites, I was sneaking across a patch of open ground and my mate suddenly told me to look to my right. I saw his corpse flying into the sky, watching the replay he had ran into a tank, got shot by it and the explosion combined with the tank suddenly moving sent him into the skybox.

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
I find the comic book violence of Unreal Tournament games tends to produce memorable moments.

Playing CTF Lava Giant map in orig. UT: It was often the case that a winning team would cluster around their flag just prior to the timer running out. We were clearly going to win, so we lined up for the end-game screenshot. However, one time an enemy with a sniper rifle took advantage of this, such that only headless bodies of our team remained for the "winning" shot.

Playing VCTF in UT2004: The other team had a fellow that tended to grab their vehicles, race to the enemy flag, abandon the vehicle, and then get killed trying to escape with the flag. Not quite that hilarious when the other team would typically find themselves hurting for vehicles. Anyhoo, so in one case the fellow abandoned their Raptor. I spotted it sliding along the ground and ran up to capture it. However, I didn't time my "Enter Vehicle" key well, and I ended up getting flatted by the Raptor instead of a capture. After the game, the fellow remarked that he saw the command prompt notification that he'd killed me, though it had been quite unexpected.

Playing CTF Facing Worlds in orig. UT: It was one of those 12vs12 full team mayhem situations, where we were all fighting tooth-and-nail, tied for flag captures, and the timer had run down (i.e., whoever scores next wins the game). Somehow I had managed to escape across the bridge, and by all rights should have been able to at least pass the flag to a teammate. However, I was doing jumps and flips to evade sniper fire, and one jump took me over the edge into the void. I was embarrassed for that, and expressed as such to my team.