Torchlight Sells Half a Million

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Man torchlight was fucking amazing. Just wish it had online. And had a sense of exploration, rather than just one main dungeon...
It's a shame I never got into Diablo 2 really...

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
Good stuff. I got Torchlight at the Steam holiday sale, one of the best purchases I made - simple, fun, and you get a pet that can charm enemies. Oooh yeah.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
TGBA said:
been thinking about getting it myself, should i?
If you love Diablo 2-style gameplay and don't want to wait for D3 to come out, then a thousand times yes. This game takes everything that makes up the Diablo-type game, squeezes out the extraneous stuff (like, you know, a real story) and sets you loose in some rather pretty environments to turn hundreds upon hundreds of bizarre-looking monsters into mulch.

Plus you get a pet that can CAST FIREBALLS. Come on, how do you beat that?

JusticarPhaeton

Jul 29, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
TGBA said:
been thinking about getting it myself, should i?
Do you like Diablo? Do you like clicking? If the answer to either of those questions was yes, then definitely.

This is really good news. Maybe this should be a message to Blizzard. A message that says "If this many people are willing to buy a Diablo rip-off, think of how many people would buy Diablo III!"
What if I really like diablo, but really don't like frenetic clicking?

I considered purchasing it but it didn't seem to hold enough depth; it seemed a bit of a generic dungeoncrawling grind. Except for the dog which can pawn your crap automatically, which seems nice but isn't a means to an end unto itself ;p

I don't know if that's exactly a good message to Blizzard - I personally think they've had more than enough success and cash filling their sails. Rather, if I were blizzard, i'd be inclined to think that i could release a mediocre Diablo 3 and it would sell millions... though i hope that isn't the case.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
I didnt like it, its mostly clearing 5 rooms of weak monsters then fight 1 boss

i enjoy games like D2 rather then this

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Plus you get a pet that can CAST FIREBALLS. Come on, how do you beat that?
By giving your pet summon spells instead so you're running around with a pet with its own pets. If you're an alchemist with multiple summons of your own, you can have a stupidly large team of assorted things running around winning the game for you starting at a very low level. It gets very silly when you charge into a huge crowd of enemies while leading an even bigger army of your own.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
John Funk said:
By the looks of it, plenty of people are finding Torchlight worth the price of a large pizza.
mmmmmmmmmm.....

Nope, I'll have the Pizza, assuming it's pepperoni with jalapenos.

Note to self: don't post on an empty stomach.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
A few quick questions.

Is there a dynamic environment? I swear I saw a bridge collapse in that screen-shot.

Does armor change your appearance?

Is the entire dungeon like that lava castle or does it change as you go deeper down it?

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
It plays like Diablo but it doesn't FEEL like it. I found it quite boring myself. Couldn't bring myslf to play it for more than a few hours

Aristabulus

Nov 17, 2009
Gameplay-wise, it was decent... a nice dose of Diablo-style nostalgia.

Not all is well under the hood, however. The code runs extra sloppy... C++ runtime errors regularly, and _save_file_overwrite_ bugs. Nothing will chill you to a game quite as fast as losing several hours of progress (or the entire character) to a bug they don't seem to care about fixing. Yes, I know, faithfully backing up manually would solve that.... _but_I_shouldn't_have_to_.

I paid for Torchlight, and I feel like I got fleeced. Candy coated shovelware.

celeborn10

Jan 20, 2009
Aristabulus said:
To be honest I've found it relatively easy to mod and I use Torchleech so it automatically backups. Trying out some of the user created classes now. Running 32 mods and so far it's still stable with a few copy paste merges. Compared to merging STALKER mods or Morrowind it's a piece of cake.

PwnSt0nes

Jan 10, 2010
i enjoy the crap out of this game. got it for like $2 on steam... or.. idk maybe it was $5