Torchlight Sells Half a Million

ender214

Oct 30, 2008
Bought it for $5 on a Steam sale. Overall a good game, but the achievements were really buggy when I first bought it . They fixed it now, but I'm not sure if I have the patience to beat it all the way through again...

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
feather240 said:
A few quick questions.

Is there a dynamic environment? I swear I saw a bridge collapse in that screen-shot.

Does armor change your appearance?

Is the entire dungeon like that lava castle or does it change as you go deeper down it?
Things don't collapse but they sometimes move. It's not "dynamic" in the sense you mean.

Armour does change your appearance, radically.

There are about nine or ten different "settings", it's not all lava.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Well deserved indeed. Tons of fun, great way to pass 30 odd minutes when you have a little free time, and the constant sound of clicks becomes almost melodic, at times.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Well, not really "In the hands" of gamers... So much as "Downloaded by" haha.

I bought it when it was about £3 and I absolutely love it. Annoyed my Mac and PC can't share the same save via the Steam Cloud though! :(

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
stinkychops said:
How much did they spend, and how did they secure the loans!?
They got funds from Perfect World to make them a f2p MMO. Torchlight was a byproduct of that.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
It's a really good game well worth buying it's nice to see it's doing so well. Apparently theres an MMO version in the making.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
TGBA said:
been thinking about getting it myself, should i?
If you love Diablo 2-style gameplay and don't want to wait for D3 to come out, then a thousand times yes. This game takes everything that makes up the Diablo-type game, squeezes out the extraneous stuff (like, you know, a real story) and sets you loose in some rather pretty environments to turn hundreds upon hundreds of bizarre-looking monsters into mulch.

Plus you get a pet that can CAST FIREBALLS. Come on, how do you beat that?
1.) Jetpack
2.) Mountable Bear

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I buy the cheapest discount pizza's at the supermarket.
No way I can still afford restaurant prices...

So I guess Torchlight is more like 20 pizza's :p

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
It's really too bad that it is too easy, because it IS fun, but not really a challenge...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
feather240 said:
A few quick questions.

Is there a dynamic environment? I swear I saw a bridge collapse in that screen-shot.

Does armor change your appearance?

Is the entire dungeon like that lava castle or does it change as you go deeper down it?
The environment is not dynamic. However, armor does change your appearance and the (main) dungeon is split up into several sections: the lava castle is just one of them. There's also a mine, a bottomless jem-encrusted cavern, a dwarven fortress, a crypt, and some other locales. Basically the main dungeon's look changes every few floors.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
John Funk said:
"We could have sold copies for more, but I think that $20 was the right price," said Lead Designer Travis Baldree. "It lets us recoup our expenses, and it's sort of a 'magical' price where people can just make the buy without having to fret so much. If their friends tell them, 'Hey, this is a great game,' they can make the decision then and there. It's the cost of a DVD; it's the cost of a large pizza."
thenumberthirteen said:
What kind of Pizza and how large is "Large"?
That's what I was wondering. A large pizza here is only NZ$12 (~US$8), and personally I won't buy 'em without a coupon that makes them NZ$8 or less (~US$5).

Mind you, I bought Torchlight on sale too (US$5), so maybe that says something about me. Good game, though. (Especially with Torchleech+mods. Haven't finished it yet, however.)