Torrents, Why?!?

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
I think of a torrent as like a car.

You can either drive to and from work, or run an orphan over with it. Torrenting in and of itself isn't illegal, it's just when you use it to upload games, movies, music, and the like, THAT'S when it becomes illegal.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
Sorry but I'm reporting your post, this is an obvious troll account.

That or you are underaged and have no ideea about the world and how it works.

either way you clearly shouldn't be posting

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Yeah, nevermind the fact that I can torrent a 500mb game patch in a fifth of the time it would take me to download from the official site. All torrents are evil and amoral.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Flying Dagger said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Case and point, for the Humble Indie Bundle 2....
...what? there was a second one?
(O_O)

News about it was everywhere.

Well, next time around you'll hopefully be able to donate enough to get the previous bundle games, if they do what they did for the second one. :p

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Devil919 said:
Morality is relative.

OT: Torrents can be used for legitimate purposes, such as getting a copy of a game you owned, but lost, circumventing particularly bad DRM on a game you OWN.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Flying Dagger said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
(O_O)

Well, next time around you'll hopefully be able to donate enough to get the previous bundle games, if they do what they did for the second one. :p
when was that? O.O

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Devil919 said:
First off i would like to say that i hate torrents, they are immoral and illegal. But more and more people use them, but why? So many of my friends use them and it just f**ks me off big time; espically when they try and get me to use them as well. Why can't you just go out and buy the damn thing with money, it helps the artist/develper ect contine what they do so why deprive them of the income that they deserve?

So fellow escapists, do you use torrents? if so why do you use them?
You sir are wrong, Torrents are in fact perfectly legal, it's just that many use them for illegal purposes.
As for why?
Are you really asking that question?
It's so fucking obviouys that I think you may be messing with the good people here, just in case though.

Because people want shit without paying for it!
How is that a hard concept to grasp, not everyone cares about the devs/publishers you know.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Devil919 said:
First off i would like to say that i hate torrents, they are immoral and illegal.
Sorry I stopped reading right there.

You are wrong. Torrents are in fact not illegal. Sure I can agree that what torrents are used for can be illegal.

But a torrent as a medium is not illegal. Its like saying mp3s are illegal because they are used to pirate music. Or a Jpeg is illegal because it was used to leak footage from an upcoming movie or game.

So before you go and whine about the medium, understand what the hell you are whining about.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Devil919 said:
First off i would like to say that i hate torrents, they are immoral and illegal. But more and more people use them, but why? So many of my friends use them and it just f**ks me off big time; espically when they try and get me to use them as well. Why can't you just go out and buy the damn thing with money, it helps the artist/develper ect contine what they do so why deprive them of the income that they deserve?

because i need autocad for my job but im sure as hell not going to pay $1,000 for the software. i mean i guess if your friends are trying to force you to do something you dont want to, i understand you being upset about it, but i dont understand why the simple fact that people use torrents, pisses you off so much. first of all, lets be clear that this isnt really hurting the artists. they make most of their money from tours, not cds. its hurting the big record labels and shit like that. i can promise you they have plenty of money and a few thousand people downloading lady gaga isnt going to hurt them too badly. movies and games...well thats another story, but if your buying used games or movies then your dicking over the people who made the shit anyway.

i use torrents but only for stuff i need (not want but need for work) that needs to be updated every year. as i said, autocad is around a thousand dollars and a new version comes out every year. no..fucking..way

all that said, your friends are stupid for trying to force you to use autocad if they know you dont want to

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Flying Dagger said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Flying Dagger said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
(O_O)

when was that? O.O
Back in December. :p

Cortex Command is epic. :p

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
Pirakahunter788 said:
Torrents overall are bad.
I have had a few friends tell me that 1. A good majority don't work. 2. They contain viruses about 60% of the time. 3. They're just overall, sketchy.
I would never use them.
Your statistics are bullshit.

Studd_Jozz

Mar 11, 2009
So as to not recieve another ban or warning or whathaveyou about pirating, I USED TO pirate, but no longer do, and I DO NOT SUPPORT PIRATING.
And while yes, torrents are the ships of pirates, they can be useful file-transfer tools as well. Don't knock it because of it's users.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I have my BitTorrent set aside for things like the Morrowind Mod Pack and the Sonic Fan demo, which were advertised on this very site, and distributed by torrent.

Why do I like torrents? Because I downloaded 500 MB of data in three minutes.

Torrents =/= pirating.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Devil919 said:

Well, you give me a link where I can legally buy Betrayal at Krondor, System shock 1+2, Thief 1+2, .......................

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Cortex Command is epic. :p
ah, gutted, oh well, that was a week I spent in and out of hospital and writing essays so must have slipped by me, what a week to be ill lol.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
Torrent are useless. you want to transfer a file to a friend get a drop box account.
I have NEVER seen a legitimate reason for a torrent site to exist.

Citizen Box

Feb 24, 2011
Pirakahunter788 said:
Torrents overall are bad.
I have had a few friends tell me that 1. A good majority don't work. 2. They contain viruses about 60% of the time. 3. They're just overall, sketchy.
I would never use them.
This and the first post obviously have no idea what Torrents are and how they work.

No, Bit Torrent is NOT illegal or immoral which is a close minded and outrages claim. So Blizzard Entertainment is doing something immoral and illegal by using Bit Torrent to distribute all their patches for their popular MMO World of Warcraft? Someone better tell them that!

Also to address the quote above: 1. Actually 100% of Torrents work, all it is is a simple .torrent file that loads up to a Bit Torrent program I.E. uTorrent for example. Then, it connects you with fellow people who already finished the download of said file called Seeds and people who are still downloading called Peers. So, the only way it wont "work" is if no one is bothering with it i.e. downloading/seeding it.
2. Sure some of them can contain viruses if you don't know how to read and/or downloading illegal software which in most cases, justice served. But all torrent files I have downloaded is 100% clean since its mostly new Linux distros and what not.
3. What is sketchy about it? Do you use places like Hotfile, Rapidshare, or MegaUpload for anything? If so, than you are more likely to get viruses from those. Also, hopefully you don't play World of Warcraft or any Blizzard game since that is what they use for ALL of their content they distribute.

Conclusion: Essential the beauty of Bit Torrent is the ability to distribute a near infinite amount of content at NO COST. Usually, companies and websites pay a large sum for bandwidth they go through for downloads alone. Bit Torrent makes it free by allowing their customers to provide the content for them. Sure, most people only associate Bit Torrent with pirates but if people actually used their brain for once in their life, they would find a solution to cut down costs on bandwidth while still being able to provide content for relatively no expense.